Ryan Fitzpatrick leaning toward retirement

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Shouldn't he be used to that by now? His entire career has been in and out of starter jobs.

I could be totally off base but I think this year was a little different considering the teams record and that the guy he was benched for pretty much sucked 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

My question was more rhetorical/tongue in cheek.  Every time a quality football player retires, people say, "he'd be a great coach!"  It's just funny to me ... for the reasons you've stated and many more.

It's like saying every high school valedictorian would make a great teacher.  Makee no sensee.

My reaction to when people say that players should become coaches is "Why would they want to?" Especially the ones who have been successful and made a lot of money. Coaching seems like a sucky job, if you ask me. Especially when many of those players can make more money at a fraction of the amount of work required.

• Like (+1) 2

He's never made the playoffs.  I wouldn't be averse to bringing him in as the backup for a year if he was interested.

If he retires, I wish him all the best. For a guy that never made the playoffs he has multiple fan bases that like him. Definitely a unique career.

Fitz did more with his talent than the vast majority of QBs with more God-given ability. He played QB with an understanding of what defenses were trying to do and instinctively responded well. He plays with a joy and deep respect for his teammates. He was wanted by GMs for his durability and team first attitude. It's a shame he couldn't get to the post season. He's a fun watch. QBs that played behind him, benefit by his guidance.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I wish Fitz the best in whatever he decides to do.  Having said that, I hope he does move on from the Phins.  They don't win half as many games last year without him under center.

There's no way he's playing for Miami again. 

25 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

He's never made the playoffs.  I wouldn't be averse to bringing him in as the backup for a year if he was interested.

If he retires, I wish him all the best. For a guy that never made the playoffs he has multiple fan bases that like him. Definitely a unique career.

He's never been on a playoff team.  Keep him away from the Bills!

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Fitz did more with his talent than the vast majority of QBs with more God-given ability. He played QB with an understanding of what defenses were trying to do and instinctively responded well. He plays with a joy and deep respect for his teammates. He was wanted by GMs for his durability and team first attitude. It's a shame he couldn't get to the post season. He's a fun watch. QBs that played behind him, benefit by his guidance.

It is a shame he never made the playoffs....but that’s why Fitz is Fitz. More often than not, he choked with the game on the line.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I'm hoping that he signs with Tampa.

Ooooh.  I like the way you think.

2 hours ago, boco357 said:

Been saying for years he is going to be awesome in the broadcast booth as color guy.  

Has he indicated an interest in broadcasting?  I know he's funny as hell, but that's different than wanting a job as a broadcaster.

I think his kids are getting to highschool age and he may want to be a dad and go to soccer games or whatever.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

My question was more rhetorical/tongue in cheek.  Every time a quality football player retires, people say, "he'd be a great coach!"  It's just funny to me ... for the reasons you've stated and many more.

It's like saying every high school valedictorian would make a great teacher.  Makee no sensee.

Fitz wasn't anywhere near that good on the field.

Seems like he's been pretty good with Tua Tagovailoa in Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

Bring him in! I’d love to have him over Bark or Fromm as my QB2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Fitz wasn't anywhere near that good on the field.

Seems like he's been pretty good with Tua Tagovailoa in Miami.

He was a starter in the NFL for virtually his entire career, you are a loser on a forum, who do you think deserves more credit?

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm not sure if he would make a good coach or not. But he is a good leader, he is smart, and he has played in a lot of offensive systems and with a lot of different kinds of players.

And he has been beloved by teammates everywhere he has played.

Being a good coach requires a lot more than that, but it's a good start. First and foremost, however, he needs to have the drive and passion required to work very long hours and constantly be evaluating to stay ahead of the competition. It seems like a mentally exhausting job.

Drive and passion and Long hours ,,,,,,,um ,,,he graduated from Harvard, has a large family ( which requires obj 24/7), must be passionate to still be a possible starter at age 39 and is not deterred by competitors or being benched even tho he was better than those he was benched for many times, and again, nothing is more mentally exhausting than being a good father / provider for a larger family ( many accounts of him being a good father ).  The only thing he doesn’t have is the experience of being a head coach.  However, this man succeeded at what he wanted at the highest level and he is more of a well rounded individual than many of the candidates for head coaching jobs today, without any of the negative baggage many of the coaches in all levels haul around with them ( substance abuse, divorce, no experience as a player, riding the coat tails of the system they came up in etc).  What evidence is their that he would fail to be successful at anything he attempted ( he is only limited ATHLETICALLY) ?    This type of person is passionate and driven as evidence by his real life achievements and if he WANTS to ever be a head coach, I am sure at some point he would easily succeed in that.   

In medicine there is an old axiom, see one, do one, teach one. Fitz has seen and done it all in the NFL. If someone is a good clinician, I can tell you by life experience, that they will almost certainly be a good teacher. I think that fits with just about any highly achieving people, and people who have made to to be a starting QB in the Nfl are highly achieving ( only  32 out there at any given time ).  I have met many people who are talented like this and they will eventually succeed at whatever it is they want. I would never doubt fitz is someone like Gase can be a head coach for two franchises! 😀

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Fitz may not have top tier NFL talent like a Rogers or Allen, but he absolutely has more pure football talent than most give him credit for 

He slings a football much better than a Matt Barkley or our 3rd stringer Fromm, and moved pretty damn well in his younger days

Edited by Buffalo716