Bills re-sign LB Andre Smith to two-year deal worth up to $3M, per Ian Rapoport

Logic

• Logic changed the title to Bills re-sign LB Andre Smith to two-year deal worth up to $3M, per Ian Rapoport

https://theathletic.com/2420361/2021/03/03/the-10-under-the-radar-bills-players-who-could-seize-an-opportunity-in-2021/?source=user_shared_article

The Athletic wrote this about Smith as one of 10 under the radar players that could play a bigger role next year:

LB Andre Smith

Dodson won’t be handed snaps. In addition to any moves the Bills make in free agency or the draft, they also traded for Andre Smith at the end of training camp last season. Smith profiles as a better fit for the weak-side linebacker spot Milano occupied the last four seasons. He played 46 percent of the Bills’ special teams snaps in 2020, giving him a built-in role. While he hasn’t cracked the lineup on defense to this point, the Bills will have Smith in their plans because of the premium they put on special teams play. Whether Smith can grow into more than that remains to be seen, but he should get the chance to prove it.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2420361/2021/03/03/the-10-under-the-radar-bills-players-who-could-seize-an-opportunity-in-2021/?source=user_shared_article

The Athletic wrote this about Smith as one of 10 under the radar players that could play a bigger role next year:

Thanks for that.

While I realize that special teams is the main reason for the re-signing of Smith, I do wonder if he or Dodson can factor into the starting WLB discussion if Milano leaves. Both are young, fast, and have plus athletic ability.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for that.

While I realize that special teams is the main reason for the re-signing of Smith, I do wonder if he or Dodson can factor into the starting WLB discussion if Milano leaves. Both are young, fast, and have plus athletic ability.

I can tell you that both Matakevich (48%), Smith(25%), and Klein (24%) got more defensive snaps than Dodson (2%) did in the Miami finale.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Interesting article.  A bit of a surprise to me, given the above, that Fairburn mentioned Dodson and Smith as under-the-radar Bills LB who could have a bigger role, but not Matakevich.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can tell you that both Matakevich (48%), Smith(25%), and Klein (24%) got more defensive snaps than Dodson (2%) did in the Miami finale.

Matakevich was all over the field during second half.  He was a very good college LB and should be looked at in some packages.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

Matakevich was all over the field during second half.  He was a very good college LB and should be looked at in some packages.

I think they liked what they saw from him there. 

IMHO it's "Stock up" for Matakevich and Smith, and "Stock down" for Dodson though he'll come into camp.

I think Smith is a core STer but he will get a shot to compete at WILL in camp too likely with Klein and a mid round rookie.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they liked what they saw from him there. 

IMHO it's "Stock up" for Matakevich and Smith, and "Stock down" for Dodson though he'll come into camp.

They seem to see Dodson as a MIKE which surprises me. I think he would he better in the WILL but I agree the way they used them against Miami suggests he is the one on the bubble. Maybe they could sneak him back to PS? Might depend on if there is a pre-season.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting article.  A bit of a surprise to me, given the above, that Fairburn mentioned Dodson and Smith as under-the-radar Bills LB who could have a bigger role, but not Matakevich.

Matakevich is a MLB.  That position doesn’t have an opening.  And he’s not playing the Will.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They seem to see Dodson as a MIKE which surprises me. I think he would he better in the WILL but I agree the way they used them against Miami suggests he is the one on the bubble. Maybe they could sneak him back to PS? Might depend on if there is a pre-season.

Pretty sure they had Dodson playing Mike next to Klein at Will when he came in for Edmunds vs. the Jets and started for him vs. Miami?

Thought they had him playing Will vs Tenn (but unsure about that) and it didn't work out too well, but then our D in general didn't work out too well that day

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair, but last year the backup MLB was Dodson, so same situation mentioning him.

Are you saying the author believes Dodson could play Will?

Yep.  Athletically he could.   Doesn’t mean it’s his best position, but he does have the athleticism to play in space.  Question is can he read and react to the keys he’d have to diagnose from that spot on the field? It’s different than what he’d have to diagnose at MLB.

• Like (+1) 1