Trai Turner (RG) -- Daryl Williams Pt. 2

Rigotz

Sounds like the Chargers are "actively shopping" Trai Turner, but it's most likely he'll get released.

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

- Made the Pro Bowl 5 consecutive years with the Carolina Panthers

- Coming off a horrible down year

- Still young (27 years old)

- Coming off a huge contract that he underperformed

- Played RG next to Daryl Williams for 5 years.

This guy has basically the same story as Daryl and would be a similar "reclamation project."

Our staff knows him and he would know the guy playing next to him (if we can get Daryl back).

I want this combo more than any other Free Agent pairing out there.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would consider if released but not giving up a pick ..

To be clear, it's almost certain he'll be released. His contract is $11.3M and he was one of the worst guards in the league last year (per PFF).

Nobody would trade a pick for him, so the question is if you'd want him as a Free Agent. Personally, I would.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Trai Turners pro bowls are like Tremaine Edmund's pro bowls. He's good but I'm not quite sure how he kept getting in ahead of better players.

Not sure about Trai, but Edmunds made his pro bowls by being very good, despite the fact that some here don't seem to realize it.

No, he's certainly not elite, but he's among the small group of guys in the AFC who would be considered good enough to get that recognition when he's healthy and in a defense that has guys understanding and doing their jobs.

“Are there more plays out there? Probably so, but he makes the Pro Bowl. I think that's legit. I think he's respected by his peers. I think sometimes in your own fan base or your own house, sometimes you can be more critical of your own than seeing how they compare across the league.”     - Brandon Beane

Yup.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-offseason-questions-is-it-guaranteed-that-tremaine-edmunds-option-will-be-picked-up/article_71f18538-7d38-11eb-afd2-9be536c83833.html

Edited by Thurman#1

27 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not sure about Trai, but Edmunds made his pro bowls by being very good, despite the fact that some here don't seem to realize it.

No, he's certainly not elite, but he's among the small group of guys in the AFC who would be considered good enough to get that recognition when he's healthy and in a defense that has guys understanding and doing their jobs.

“Are there more plays out there? Probably so, but he makes the Pro Bowl. I think that's legit. I think he's respected by his peers. I think sometimes in your own fan base or your own house, sometimes you can be more critical of your own than seeing how they compare across the league.”     - Brandon Beane

Yup.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-offseason-questions-is-it-guaranteed-that-tremaine-edmunds-option-will-be-picked-up/article_71f18538-7d38-11eb-afd2-9be536c83833.html

The point on the Edmunds pro bowls is that the MLB position is much less stacked in the AFC than the NFC. That is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I think he absolutely deserved his 2019 selection. His 2020 selection was largely due to the lack of viable alternatives. 

On Trai Turner, I always liked him on the Panthers but he was shocking last year in LA. They need oline help very badly and do not think he is worth retaining. That would concern me.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rigotz said:

To be clear, it's almost certain he'll be released. His contract is $11.3M and he was one of the worst guards in the league last year (per PFF).

Nobody would trade a pick for him, so the question is if you'd want him as a Free Agent. Personally, I would.

You could trade a 7th and then sign him to an extension to lower the cap #.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

I won't mind signing Turner to a 1yr prove it deal for about 3mil with incentives. Anything more then that is not a good idea. Guards are starting to load up in free agency that should bring the market down with the lack of cap space available league wide. 

I wrote in another thread, Pat Kirwan on MTC Thursday tabulated 615 and growing Players are set to be released.  He also had a bad year, and there is always a possibility with creative negotiations with Feliciano and D. Williams.  You would have to be convinced he is far superior to Feliciano or Ford, or Boettger to sign him.  Ford may only be able to play Guard, but Feliciano is serviceable at Guard and Center.  I’m not saying to replace Morse, but he is the sure fire backup at Center to a guy who’s had five concussions.  This is a big risk last year’s performance is a fluke vs. his play at this point.  Beane would have to be convinced of his skills.  If he and McD have reviewed all of his tape, and truly believe he is an upgrade to our line, then fine.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The point on the Edmunds pro bowls is that the MLB position is much less stacked in the AFC than the NFC. That is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I think he absolutely deserved his 2019 selection. His 2020 selection was largely due to the lack of viable alternatives. 

On Trai Turner, I always liked him on the Panthers but he was shocking last year in LA. They need oline help very badly and do not think he is worth retaining. That would concern me.

Probably not that they don't think he's worth retaining, just not on his current contract. 

They overpaid him, cap goes down they can't afford him now. I would take him on a 1 year prove it deal and probably let him walk regardless of the outcome, since he already showed he slacks up when he gets paid. 

19 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Probably not that they don't think he's worth retaining, just not on his current contract. 

They overpaid him, cap goes down they can't afford him now. I would take him on a 1 year prove it deal and probably let him walk regardless of the outcome, since he already showed he slacks up when he gets paid. 

There are lots of things you could do with that contract if you wanted to keep him. Maybe they have tried and he is not interested but a guy with one year left and no guarantees at a position of significant need.... if they are just flat out releasing him it tells me they think there is a significant issue there beyond money.

Given what’s going on with the cap I’d rather target Incognito at a fraction of the price. We wanted to get meaner in the run game right?

Turners a good player, I was shocked carolina traded him for the older Okung. If Beane could sign him at a bargain I’m all for it but I think he’ll still get another nice payday

17 hours ago, Rigotz said:

One of the worst? 

I’m in. 👍

😛

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Given what’s going on with the cap I’d rather target Incognito at a fraction of the price. We wanted to get meaner in the run game right?

Dude is a whack job that went off the rails when he was last with the Bills... can’t see him coming back after that...

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Dude is a whack job that went off the rails when he was last with the Bills... can’t see him coming back after that...

No probably not. But there’s going to be a ton of options out there. No need to rush and certainly no reason to trade. Teams are going to get some real bargain contracts with players needing jobs. 

Turner was a very good guard for the panthers during his time there.  Very athletic and great in both pass and run situations. He had a couple years without allowing a sack.

Where are the cap experts? I went to over the cap and just restructured his deal which he is on the last year of and it brought his cap hit to 4.5 mil.  That’s a cap hit we can certainly live with and would be at worst a great backup. At best he gets back to form with a full off season. 

• Agree 1