Micah Hyde signed to 2 yr extension - Schefter

6 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Strange call. Not a fan of this move. Player looked like he had lost a step in 2020. $ number of contract will put him at or near franchise tag number for a safety in range of top 5. He's still solid, but not at that level.

Some folks were saying he could be cut. I thought that was overboard.

BUT I would have looked to put him in a contract year and tagged him if needed. 

They did it prior to Justin Simmons wrecking the market for safeties. Similar to what they did with Tre before Ramsey and Humphries reset the CB market. Smart move.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will say I did not have "Sign Micah Hyde to an extension" as the first move on my Bills Offseason Scorecard

I guess it depends upon your definition of "essentially" - didn't Rappoport report Watt contract as 2 yr, $31M when, um, it's a bit different than that?

No? I predicted it last year. I thought Poyer and Hyde would get matching extensions. 

Last year of his deal. Leader in the locker room and on the field. He was definitely a candidate for extension. Probably was the top guy on the list. Jerry Hughes and Taron Johnson also candidates for extensions, both have expiring contracts. 

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No? I predicted it last year. I thought Poyer and Hyde would get matching extensions. 

Last year of his deal. Leader in the locker room and on the field. He was definitely a candidate for extension. Probably was the top guy on the list. Jerry Hughes and Taron Johnson also candidates for extensions, both have expiring contracts. 

You predicted it would be the very first move of the offseason?

That was my very specifically made point: I did not have it as Beane’s first move.

I agree, Hyde was a candidate for an extension, but Beane’s normal pattern is to work on trades, our own FA, signing other FA, the draft, and then extensions for players under contract.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was my very specifically made point: I did not have it as Beane’s first move.

I agree, Hyde was a candidate for an extension, but Beane’s normal pattern is to work on trades, our own FA, signing other FA, the draft, and then extensions for players under contract.

I didn't predict a 1st move, if I did it would be signing Feliciano. But typically the Bills operate based on most deserving. Hyde is probably most deserving of those entering the final year of a deal or UFA. Hughes recently received an extension, so that's probably why he wasn't 1st.

Hyde

Hughes 

Feliciano 

Johnson 

I'm willing to guess that's the order. I don't think they'll get a Johnson deal done this offseason. Who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Still don’t have a clue why Feliciano is a priority....let him walk. Use that money towards signing Williams.

Solid OL that can start at all 3 interior positions. Leader on offense.

Williams is a priority but I sense they are going to both see where the market is in free agency. I also think OT is high on the draft board. 30 looks like a great spot for a tackle.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I am going to say I feel a little better about our cap situation because there was an opportunity to lower it here and they chose NOT to.........

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn't predict a 1st move, if I did it would be signing Feliciano. But typically the Bills operate based on most deserving. Hyde is probably most deserving of those entering the final year of a deal or UFA. Hughes recently received an extension, so that's probably why he wasn't 1st.

Hyde

Hughes 

Feliciano 

Johnson 

I'm willing to guess that's the order. I don't think they'll get a Johnson deal done this offseason. Who knows. 

Thanks, I haven't heard much talk about Johnson lately. The way he finished the season, it stands to reason they want him to be their slot guy for another contract. Impact plays, physicality, and most importantly (and why he had the opportunity to flash), he improved his availability. 

This was a good decision and doesn’t affect the 2021 cap.  With these new contracts wherever they land the cap will certainly go up in 2022 and beyond.  Having this tandem in the backfield and Tre’s extension before the ridiculous contracts for others like Ramsey was a smart move.

Get er dun Beaner.

This is a good but in a way a meaningless move. Its really just a gesture by the Bills. There is no up front bonus money and therefore no cap effect now or in the future. Meaning they can cut him after next year with no dead money hit in the future. So there really is not a lot of added security for Hyde. All it really does is lock in his salary figure for the next three years. 

I like Hyde as a player and I did not see any drop off in his play last year. That said, I still would not be shocked if either Poyer or Hyde is let go after 2021 and is replaced by a draft pick cheaper option.

Edited by Ethan in Portland

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is a meaningless move. Its really just a gesture by the Bills. There is no up front bonus money and therefore no cap effect now or in the future. Meaning they can cut him with no dead money hit in the future. 

All it really does is lock in his salary figure for the next three years. 

How is extending a valuable player meaningless?

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

How is extending a valuable player meaningless?

I was speaking solely in terms of cap effect. I like Hyde as a player and I edited my post to clarify that.. In terms of this year's  cap and his security, there is no bonus money so he can be let go with no dead cap hit. If he plays well enough to justify his salary figure then they can keep him. If he doesn't they can cut him with no dead money on their books.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is a good but in a way a meaningless move. Its really just a gesture by the Bills. There is no up front bonus money and therefore no cap effect now or in the future. Meaning they can cut him after next year with no dead money hit in the future. So there really is not a lot of added security for Hyde. All it really does is lock in his salary figure for the next three years. 

I like Hyde as a player and I did not see any drop off in his play last year. That said, I still would not be shocked if either Poyer or Hyde is let go after 2021 and is replaced by a draft pick cheaper option.

It seemed pretty meaningful to Micah...

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was speaking solely in terms of cap effect. I like Hyde as a player and I edited my post to clarify that.. In terms of this year's  cap and his security, there is no bonus money so he can be let go with no dead cap hit. If he plays well enough to justify his salary figure then they can keep him. If he doesn't they can cut him with no dead money on their books.

Have the details came out yet, like guaranteed $, etc?  Haven't seen anything