Micah Hyde signed to 2 yr extension - Schefter

Just now, DCOrange said:

Rapoport says this is incorrect. Cap number is "essentially the same".

I was trying to figure out how we could lower the cap with the numbers released and I really couldn't find one without pushing his cap really high in the future. 

This is simply a reward for good play by the Bills. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Likely helps drop his cap number for next year and the guaranteed signing bonus is probably spread out over 3 years making it easier to cut him at any time after next year. This is 100% a move to help free up cap dollars in some way.

No change in cap number 

Probably go vet minimum salary to go from $4M to $1M and the $3M becomes signing bonus spread over 3 years so gives $2M cap relief. 

Diggs, Hughes, Brown and Morse all prime candidates for similar move (extension, restructure), probably could save $10-14 million on cap if all 4. The thing is cap will go up a lot in future years if 100% fans and then new TV contract so moving salary to future years isn't necessarily delaying the inevitable, it's shifting cap impact to years that will be more manageable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

Yeah, no word on numbers yet, but a good bet it will lower his 2021 $6.7 million cap hit.

The reports are saying its essentially the same cap hit

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Surprised they didn’t use this as a chance to alter this years $$. 

I'm not. It was already not massive so there was only marginal room anyway 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Strange call. Not a fan of this move. Player looked like he had lost a step in 2020. $ number of contract will put him at or near franchise tag number for a safety in range of top 5. He's still solid, but not at that level.

Some folks were saying he could be cut. I thought that was overboard.

BUT I would have looked to put him in a contract year and tagged him if needed. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Keeping Poyer and Hyde locked up for the next couple years is really important. On their own neither of them are elite but together they make one of the best safety tandems in the league.

The devil will be in the details of this one. Im not seeing any new guarenteed money, so less dead money. If so, not bad, and i can live with it, especially if he gets back his form in 21.