Micah Hyde signed to 2 yr extension - Schefter

People want to harp about speed but that's what corners are for. 

Hyde makes so many critical plays like picking Brady in the endzone, and returning the onside to finish off the Dolphins. He's just a solid player and durable and well worth the money.  

• Like (+1) 3

Solid move.

Hyde has been terrific for us from the get go. I don't think his play has suffered at all.

I do think that Poyer has improved more, and it makes it seem as though Hyde isn't doing as much.

As someone said earlier in the thread, Micah has made a fair few critical plays for us, and while not elite, his tandem with Poyer, works really well. A microcosm of the sum of the parts being better than the individual.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

Hyde and Poyer are one of the best safety tandems in the league. People thought Hyde was getting cut? That's wild. Didn't even enter my radar.

People who don’t know much about football I would suspect.  Pretty ridiculous to even think we would have cut Hyde.  

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I thought Hyde lost a step. Still seems like a good player though, but the price is a bit steep.

I agree, good player but $10 per year for a player on the wrong side of 30 is questionable.  I can't really form an opinion until the exact details come out, but if it lowers the cap this year and has an easy out in the last year its not so bad.

• Dislike 1

Statistically this was Hyde's worse year in Buffalo, but I chalk that up more to a deficient pass rush and Milano's injuries than to Hyde having problems.  Our D was great for two years BEFORE last year because we had a pretty good D line as a major component, and Milano and Edmunds both came into their own as starting LBs.  The problems last year were almost all due to 1) no Star to stop the run, 2) Oliver too small to be effective without Star, 3) loss of Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson, and 4) Milano missing so much time.  We went from a smooth running V-8 to a choppy inline six that needed new spark plugs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

People keep calling the price high, but the cost of safeties is likely to go up soon. By 2022, Hyde’s deal will look like a bargain.

Given that the Bills were one game away from the Super Bowl and that Hyde and Poyer are still playing at a high level,  I believe this extension was a good move, as was Poyer’s . Keeping 4/5 of the starting secondary in place is a good thing. Now go improve the front seven.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

No brainer move. That said kudos to Beane forgetting it done it so quickly. The extension is reasonable and sends a message to prospective FAs that if you produce, Bills will take care of ya.

This plus the jab about free agents who didn’t want to even pass through, was worth the money. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Hyde hands in another good season or two you could make the argument he is the best Bills free agent acquisition of all time. He already has provided 4 years of Pro-Bowl or near Pro-Bowl levels of production. I like the extension, keeps him here a little longer at an age where he should still be able to produce.

Edited by billsfan89

3 hours ago, Process said:

Eh. Nice to have him locked up and not have to worry about a hole at S for another couple years. Definitely feels like we overpaid though.

Seems like the going rate for a very good safety. Safeties play well into their early 30's and this deal signs him for ages 31-33. 

I don’t mind locking him up another year. But would rather have moved the money around to save some off the cap this year. Instead they made it easier to cut bait next year. I get it needing to look past this year but I feel this year is a buyers market do the more $ the better. 

5 hours ago, nato7412 said:

I just thought wed want to see his play this year first, with him being on the wrong side of 30 and the cap situation I thought he may be gone sooner rather than later but clearly not. Im happy we still have him don't get me wrong 

His play is still at a high level, will probably look even better if we fix our DLine. He and Poyer have been the backbone of this whole team, let alone the defense, then Beane focused on the offense. Hyde and Poyer are 2 of my all time favorites, they have the skills and the intangibles needed to win.

5 hours ago, nato7412 said:

I just thought wed want to see his play this year first, with him being on the wrong side of 30 and the cap situation I thought he may be gone sooner rather than later but clearly not. Im happy we still have him don't get me wrong 

he would have been gone if we had a stellar back up in waiting.   The window of opportunity for the Bills is the next 2-3 years and then thre will be a rebuild once again around Josh Allen.   Continuity during this window is very important

• Like (+1) 1