Jerry Hughes restructuring? Rumor...

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Which is why you sign someone opposite him. Not cut him. He's easily the best Edge rusher the Bills have. I'm not even sure it's close.

If you cut him, then you need to go out and find TWO high end edge rushers. AJE isn't ready for that.

I'd love to go into next season with:

EDGE: F/A pick up ~ 10-12M PYA, Hughes, AJE, Draft pick

3T: Oliver, Justin Zimmer

1T: Star, Harrison Phillips

Tweener 3T/EDGE:  Quinton Jefferson (restructured)

Because the Bills can't afford a $20M+ cap hit

Simply put I'de be extremely surprised if thru cut Hughes. They won't. But we need to get better and it might take a big contract. That's a position where it's worth it. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I bet Jerry Hughes gets a similar extension to Hyde. 

Hyde's extension didn't really budge his cap hit. If they're going to extend/restructure Hughes than his cap hit better be coming down significantly

4 hours ago, JackKemp said:

I would say this more about Jerry Hughes' desire to keep as many of the pieces around him intact for another run at getting to the Superbowl.

My thought exactly. He knows his time is limited and wants to help make possible another good shot at it. 

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I like Jerry, and he’s obviously our best end. However I’d still like to move on. I’ve said repeatedly the refs hate that dude. He is not as athletic as he once was and the refs allow him to be held like nobody I’ve ever seen before. So now his speed doesn’t negate the holding like it used to. Could just be my bias but I’ve seen the refs straight abuse Hughes for years now. 

Over the last 4 full seasons Jerry has averaged 5.1 sacks. If he's our best pass rusher (which he is) then we're in deep s#!t.....the refs do hate him and opposing tackles know this. If we don't get a semi elite pass rusher, Mahomes will just toy with us....

• Agree 1

I expect there are a lot of players in the Jerry Hughes/John Brown situation around the league right now.

Some of these guys will get cut and be another name in the long FA list in their positions.

Many won't be in great demand and I expect some to resign with their original teams at a bit lower of cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I expect there are a lot of players in the Jerry Hughes/John Brown situation around the league right now.

Some of these guys will get cut and be another name in the long FA list in their positions.

Many won't be in great demand and I expect some to resign with their original teams at a bit lower of cap hit.

For sure, this isn’t just a Bills issue. Creative GM’s with a good reputation for honesty will weather the adversity.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d hope so.... but I’m skeptical due to the Carolina connection. 

I think McD does value the locker room. He has kept a lot of bad players or brought in a lot of washed vets for the value they have in the locker room. Given that dynamic I think they would pick Hughes over Addision. 

8 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

I hope we can restructure his deal and keep him on board - he's a leader on this team and even though he's not as good as he once was, he's still serviceable.

Last year he was tied for 44th in the league in QB pressures, and I'm willing to bet that he subbed out quite a bit more than the 43 guys ahead of him.  The next closest DE on the team? Mario Addison at 146, and Epenesa at 224. It's clear we need a top-flight DE in here, but I still think there's room for a guy like Hughes. 

Great points made here. If the Bills don’t acquire a top DE in FA or a trade then it should be a no brainer for them to use their 1st rd on one. The DL is either too old or too light and neither are a good attribute at this point.

4 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Why can't we find a 13 + sack guy at DE ?

3 hours ago, Mcdermott said:

Maybe because there are 2 to 3 guys in entire league who get that many.

They are easy to FIND. They are just about impossible to get signed on your roster.   🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. If any DE should be cut it's Addidon.... but he played for Carolina so....

I understand your point. Addison definitely didn't live up to his contract. But his contract isn't friendly to just being cut. Sure, you'll save a couple million. But will you be able to sign a better replacement for less than what you save by cutting him? Probably not.

I think we're stuck with hoping this was just a down year for Addison. I'd be shocked if he were cut.

Off topic but see his name  - Addison is Good. Coaches love him on the field and locker room. 

His production was pretty good,  not elite , not great , but pretty good. 

Jerry is Elite. 

He consistently causes HAVOC!

Get a dominant guy outside that makes Jerry, Oliver , Addison etc much better! 

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Off topic but see his name  - Addison is Good. Coaches love him on the field and locker room. 

His production was pretty good,  not elite , not great , but pretty good. 

Jerry is Elite. 

He consistently causes HAVOC!

Get a dominant guy outside that makes Jerry, Oliver , Addison etc much better! 

Actually you need a dominant guy inside. Hughes needs someone to push the middle and force the QB into him. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Hughes was one the guys I could see as a surprise cut. He hasn’t been worth his salary the last few years but he’s still our best lineman.

He's well worth his salary. He is by far our best pass rusher and we are not breaking the bank for him.