Jerry Hughes restructuring? Rumor...

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If that’s the case then John Brown is getting cut and Beasley restructured. He reported all of that this week but fueht know how much credence to give it. 

Also letting Barkley walk. All of which is what I've predicted as well. 

I've been waiting to jump on Jerry Hughes for a while but I didn't want to be that guy. Hughes is a situational pass rusher and nothing more. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Even if the cap is set up higher than 180-185 (I can't see it being higher than 190 or 195) expect a lot of contract restructuring from the Bills. The Bills have 3 starters who are unrestricted free agents (Milano, Williams and Mongo) 2 of those starters will be higher end value type players (Williams and Milano) and Mongo is a mid level or slightly better value player. That's in addition to the 3 restricted free agent starters (Ike, Wallace and Bojo) and the unrestricted role players (Roberts, Ty, Barkley, T.Jones and Mac among others).

The Bills also have a glut of productive but overpaid players and outright over paid players. The cap crunch around the league is going to result in a lot of players taking pay cuts to stay on their teams and the Bills have at least 8 players that they will ask to take restructures. 

Pay cut candidates 

• John Brown 
  • Mitch
  • Quinton Jefferson or Vernon Butler (one will likely be cut with Star coming back)
  • Jerry Hughes
  • Addision 
  • AJ Klein

On top of those 7 they might do some cap magic with the Tre, Dawkins and Diggs contracts where they convert some of their base salary into a signing bonus. That could free up additional money. This off-season is going to be the first time since 2018 where McBeane faces a cap crunch. Let's see exactly how they handle it. McBeane has to manage this cap situation while also finding a way to add a few key pieces and not lose many or any key pieces. It is going to be difficult but it can be done. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Also letting Barkley walk. All of which is what I've predicted as well. 

I've been waiting to jump on Jerry Hughes for a while but I didn't want to be that guy. Hughes is a situational pass rusher and nothing more. 

Restructuring him seems for cap reasons. I don’t think they move on from Hughes. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Then why hold onto a guy who's 34 pm the opposite side and not as effective a player....

More Sacks, tackles, and tackles for loss. Not as effective? 

We don't know if they're going to hold on to Addison either. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Restructuring him seems for cap reasons. I don’t think they move on from Hughes. 

I hope they don't. But the days of Hughes being our best edge defender needs to end if we want to win a Super Bowl. 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No. I think most would agree that Hughes is the better, more disruptive player, and better pass rusher than Mario Addison. 

If it’s one or the other, I think the obvious answer is Addison goes. 

I wouldn't disagree. Hughes is by far a better pass rusher. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No. I think most would agree that Hughes is the better, more disruptive player, and better pass rusher than Mario Addison. 

If it’s one or the other, I think the obvious answer is Addison goes. 

I think pass rush wise Addison and Hughes are similar. But Hughes is a veteran leader and the heart of the defense. For that reason alone if the team is forced to choose one they are going with Hughes. I think they ask both guys to take a moderate pay cut. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Then why hold onto a guy who's 34 pm the opposite side and not as effective a player....

Well I'm assuming both would be cut if Hughes is cut. If it's a matter of holding onto one of then, Hughes is a no brainer since he's a year younger and slightly smaller cap hit. But if we want to sign a difference maker at the position Hughes could end up being a casualty of that.

Don't know what's happening between Hughes and the Bills. However, I respect Hughes because he is a player that got paid and became a better player. How many other players can you say that about. That being said, I think Hughes can make plays for us next year.

If your a critic of Bills not addressing pass rush - We are fine; Hughes is top 10 in pressures.

If your a critic of Bills cutting Hughes - Hughes sucks, what has he done the past few years.

That is called a win win. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most people, including me, have been saying to cut Addison but he had more Sacks, tackles, and tackles for loss than Jerry Hughes has had the last 2 seasons. 

Bills need to upgrade DL anyway possible. My hope is to have Hughes coming off the bench in a rotation and not our best edge defender. 

Don’t look at stats.  Watch the games.  Addison blows. Hughes does not

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Obviously Hughes is the better player, but Hughes lacks production. We can't continue with Hughes being our best edge defender. He's a situational player at this point. 

Addison shouldn't be our most productive edge player. 

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hughes is usually the guy helping other players by forcing the QB directly into them due to his pressure

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Obviously Hughes is the better player, but Hughes lacks production. We can't continue with Hughes being our best edge defender. He's a situational player at this point. 

Addison shouldn't be our most productive edge player. 

In the modern NFL, pressures are more reflective statistic of success than sacks. Its sort of like OPS vs HRs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

In the modern NFL, pressures are more reflective statistic of success than sacks. Its sort of like OPS vs HRs.

I take pressure over sacks all day but you're missing the point. Hughes can't be our most productive edge player. You're not winning a super bowl when you're best pass rusher has 4 sacks every year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I take pressure over sacks all day but you're missing the point. Hughes can't be our most productive edge player. You're not winning a super bowl when you're best pass rusher has 4 sacks every year. 

Which is why you sign someone opposite him. Not cut him. He's easily the best Edge rusher the Bills have. I'm not even sure it's close.

If you cut him, then you need to go out and find TWO high end edge rushers. AJE isn't ready for that.

I'd love to go into next season with:

EDGE: F/A pick up ~ 10-12M PYA, Hughes (restructured), AJE, Draft pick

3T: Oliver, Justin Zimmer

1T: Star, Harrison Phillips

Tweener 3T/EDGE:  Quinton Jefferson (restructured)

4 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Why can't we find a 13 + sack guy at DE ?

Because the Bills can't afford a $20M+ cap hit

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Which is why you sign someone opposite him. Not cut him. He's easily the best Edge rusher the Bills have. I'm not even sure it's close.

If you cut him, then you need to go out and find TWO high end edge rushers. AJE isn't ready for that.

I'd love to go into next season with:

EDGE: F/A pick up ~ 10-12M PYA, Hughes, AJE, Draft pick

3T: Oliver, Justin Zimmer

1T: Star, Harrison Phillips

Tweener 3T/EDGE:  Quinton Jefferson (restructured)

Because the Bills can't afford a $20M+ cap hit

I'm taking about in the draft its been since Smith i believe