Jerry Hughes restructuring? Rumor...

4 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

I would be shocked if he is let go or traded.  He is a leader on the Team/D and their only legit pass rush.  How much would they save if they cut him?  

It all depends who they think they can get they’re hands on in FA. Hughes isn’t getting any younger so it makes sense why they’re asking him to take a restructuring. I’m pretty sure he will, they got close last year and I’m sure he knows that they need the cap space to add more talent so we can try harder at making it all the way next year. I’d be surprised a bit if Hughes refuses to restructure

• Like (+1) 1

I like Jerry, and he’s obviously our best end. However I’d still like to move on. I’ve said repeatedly the refs hate that dude. He is not as athletic as he once was and the refs allow him to be held like nobody I’ve ever seen before. So now his speed doesn’t negate the holding like it used to. Could just be my bias but I’ve seen the refs straight abuse Hughes for years now. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I hope we can restructure his deal and keep him on board - he's a leader on this team and even though he's not as good as he once was, he's still serviceable.

Last year he was tied for 44th in the league in QB pressures, and I'm willing to bet that he subbed out quite a bit more than the 43 guys ahead of him.  The next closest DE on the team? Mario Addison at 146, and Epenesa at 224. It's clear we need a top-flight DE in here, but I still think there's room for a guy like Hughes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hughes really hasn’t done much in a few years, not surprised. I think there are lots of DL transactions on the horizon. 

Restructuring Hughes and Brown while releasing Butler, Jefferson, and Addison opens up a sizable chunk of cap space

It seems that way, but his 'win rate' has been tops in the league the past two years.. just not translating into stats, but I'd imagine it's got a larger impact to the overall success of the unit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I like Jerry, and he’s obviously our best end. However I’d still like to move on. I’ve said repeatedly the refs hate that dude. He is not as athletic as he once was and the refs allow him to be held like nobody I’ve ever seen before. So now his speed doesn’t negate the holding like it used to. Could just be my bias but I’ve seen the refs straight abuse Hughes for years now. 

I could be wrong, but hasn’t he been consistently top 10 in the league in quarterback hurries?

either way, I do not want to see Jerry go anywhere. Why create more holes when we have so many other needs

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

I would be shocked if he is let go or traded.  He is a leader on the Team/D and their only legit pass rush.  How much would they save if they cut him?  

They would save $7.1M.

I'm sure the Bills are working on restructuring a bunch of guys.

I too would be shocked if Hughes is released or traded.  He is definitely one of the leaders you don't want to let out of the building now!

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

Not nearly as much as it would cost to replace him, both from a tangible and intangible perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

the cut or traded bit is sensationalism added by the media outlet reporting it to draw attention

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

the cut or traded bit is sensationalism added by the media outlet reporting it to draw attention

I agree about the sensationalism- if we can restructure his contract and give him one more year while giving us some leeway financially it is a win win. We don't want to cut him and we will not find a better end for the savings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Pretty sure this is a no brainer and hopefully they are doing the same with John Brown as well. 

Soooo I don't know if anyone follows @nflrums or not but he has lots of close contact some how with a lot of these teams and Is usually spot on

I see many posts implying that he may not do it. Although "restructure" could include pay cut, I thought that typically when they say restructure it's to add take a portion of the upcoming or current year's salary and make it a signing bonus. For the team, it reduces the hit this year, increases in future years, but costs no extra. For the player, they get more money upfront and the same amount total. The only reason for the player to reject it is if they really want to move on.