Marc Sessler "one fit for each afc team"

the_D

Marc Sessler has opined for us to land Joe Thuney, OG, from the ***patriots.

I'm not really the one to post, but I really think this could be a fit for the OL.

Here's the problem, I'm a football dumba**. 

So many of you are way more football smart than I am. I know he would come on the somewhat expensive side, and he's an in-divison player, but other than that, is there a reason we shouldn't persue him?

I'm an older fella, and I'm all about fortifying the "trenches", so to me this makes perfect sense. 

What are the downfalls/cons of this?

Edited by the_D
  • Like (+1) 4

• the_D changed the title to Marc Sessler "one fit for each afc team"

I’m with you, I know I’m not qualified to evaluate interior linemen. BUT, I do know we need to win the trenches and adding to our line by hurting a division opponent has a strong appeal!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

You fit in fine.  He’s a great guard but his contract will reset the market making it more unlikely we can keep the nucleus of this team together long term.  I’d rather spend the money on re-signing Williams and/or Feliciano.  Keep drafting and developing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

You fit in fine.  He’s a great guard but his contract will reset the market making it more unlikely we can keep the nucleus of this team together long term.  I’d rather spend the money on re-signing Williams and/or Feliciano.  Keep drafting and developing.

That last sentence! That seems to be the plan thus far. Which makes perfect sense. Part of the "process" if you will.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, the_D said:

That last sentence! That seems to be the plan thus far. Which makes perfect sense. Part of the "process" if you will.

At the same time, the current FO seems to like 1-2 year prove it deal while they develop guys. Maybe we sign him while still drafting the long term guy?

I know, it’s a long shot but our FO has layers of plans, I’m sure. Unlike a previous regime, it won’t be available to the public first thing tomorrow. 

Sure he'd fit.  He's tremendous.  But do we want to invest the money it will cost to sign him in a guard?  I'd rather put it into pass rush, RT, TE, corner, etc.  Guard is pretty low on the list of places to spend big money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I’m forever intrigued by the armchair GMs on here. I’ve got to admit however I’m in no way an expert...but one thing I know for sure is that there’s a big whiteboard at OBD where they have the entire roster slotted. They know exactly what they can pay, what they already owe, and what they’re going to owe going forward in future years. I also know they look at all of this across the entire roster and across each unit. In this particular example, they already know the total dollar amount they want to invest in the O Line. They don’t look at it position by position or player by player. If they did, it wouldn’t be long before they got way out of whack. Each signing causes and equal but opposite reaction somewhere else on the Unit, or on the Roster. I will leave it to the guys with the big whiteboard and enjoy the ride. My two cents.

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d rather spend the money on an upper echelon Tight End than a Guard.  I think that’ll move the needle more for this offense.  

A little bit more juice inside can help that run game a bit more.  A good receiving tight end can help with blitzes quite a bit though.  Create that mismatch that forces them out of their plan.  Gronk would be my #1 target here.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Sure he'd fit.  He's tremendous.  But do we want to invest the money it will cost to sign him in a guard?  I'd rather put it into pass rush, RT, TE, corner, etc.  Guard is pretty low on the list of places to spend big money. 

yeah, and the draft class is pretty deep.  That said, if they did break the bank on a Guard, he'd be a good one to do it on.  Only really makes sense though if Morse is gone, Feliciano is Center.  

But, we do need an upgrade at Guard, IMO.  Run blocking was terrible this year.  It could come from the draft, or FA, but needs to come from somewhere, and counting on Ford is a mistake.  

12 hours ago, the_D said:

I'm not really the one to post, but I really think this could be a fit for the OL.

So many of you are way more football smart than I am. I know he would come on the somewhat expensive side, and he's an in-divison player, but other than that, is there a reason we shouldn't persue him?

I'm an older fella, and I'm all about fortifying the "trenches", so to me this makes perfect sense. 

He's a fantastic guard, which also means he will be way too expensive.

I'm totally flipping the switch and thinking we need linebacker help especially since we may lose milano I'm looking at Neville Hewitt from the Jets that guys a stud linebacker.

FTR, here is his article and excerpt for Buffalo:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-matchmaking-one-fit-for-each-afc-team

"The offensive line needs attention. Guards Jon Feliciano and Brian Winters head to market alongside sturdy right tackle Daryl Williams. Thuney's a rock. To be fair, an expensive rock who might be tagged by the Patriots. Still, the Bills can't ignore how the ground game went flat for quarters at a time. Or how Josh Allen is the sun around which all of Western New York spins. Landing a Canton-level presence at guard would go a long way toward preventing a blackout."

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Bills are just unfortunately going to have to lose some players this off-season. Even if they get all of their overpaid players to take paycuts and they cut Lee Smith and Vernon Butler and they rework Tre, Dawkins and Diggs contracts to free up more space they still likely won't have enough to both resign Milano, Mongo, D.Williams and all key role players and add key pieces like a pass rusher or tight end via free agency. Tough decisions will have to be made.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

FTR, here is his article and excerpt for Buffalo:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-matchmaking-one-fit-for-each-afc-team

"The offensive line needs attention. Guards Jon Feliciano and Brian Winters head to market alongside sturdy right tackle Daryl Williams. Thuney's a rock. To be fair, an expensive rock who might be tagged by the Patriots. Still, the Bills can't ignore how the ground game went flat for quarters at a time. Or how Josh Allen is the sun around which all of Western New York spins. Landing a Canton-level presence at guard would go a long way toward preventing a blackout."

He might be but you are correct, it would be stupid expensive.  Thuney was the only guy Belischek franchised last year so tagging him again gets ridiculosly expensive.  

• Like (+1) 1