Bills pre-draft visit tracker

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Safety is a sneaky need. Not much depth at the moment behind Hyde and poyer. 

I maybe agree? We've not seen much of Jaquan Johnson but he's looked *fine* if not reasonably good in the few stretches that we have seen. I'd love to add depth there, I'm just not sure that's how I'd like to see us use one of our premium picks (Duck homer be damned). Based purely on some of these meetings, it does seem like they maybe closely evaluating Taron Johnson and the nickel position. Another guy I've felt has been good enough so far, but perhaps they're wanting more/something different from it?

I will say this, Holland is a TON of fun to have on your team.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Is this term "big nickel" meaning a defender that can cover a pass catching TE?

If so I'm all for it.

Correct. Mostly used to cover the TE as well as pass catching route from the RB's. Skilled enough to occasionally hang with WR's as well. 

Its a position that McDermott really loves to use for his D and we are missing that kind of player big time. 

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

Correct. Mostly used to cover the TE as well as pass catching route from the RB's. Skilled enough to occasionally hang with WR's as well. 

Its a position that McDermott really loves to use for his D and we are missing that kind of player big time. 

That is what I thought and I remember talk about  McDermott liking that.

Another amateur's question.  Does this type defense ever change the typical 4 DL alignment on passing downs?

Could it be used in a more hybrid 3-4 type situation?

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is what I thought and I remember talk about  McDermott liking that.

Another amateur's question.  Does this type defense ever change the typical 4 DL alignment on passing downs?

Could it be used in a more hybrid 3-4 type situation?

A lot of these guys are definitely skilled enough to rush the passer along with 3DL or as a blitzer with what the Bills do on D. 

The Bills stick to a 4DL alignment pretty much in most situations. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Its a very deep WR class so we should get some great value by adding one of these guys. 

I'm just a little surpised at how much we continue to add to the group. 

But I guess at some point Beasley and Sanders will be replaced. 

On 4/5/2021 at 6:31 PM, DJB said:

I don't think McDermott has ever used a big nickel more than 20% snaps 

Saying he really loves to use it for the D might be a little bit of an overstatement, it's just a strategic chess piece 

And the  big Nickel is replacing Taron Johnson who is a really fine slot corner.. it's a specific strategic piece

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think McDermott has ever used a big nickel more than 20% snaps 

Saying he really loves to use it for the D might be a little bit of an overstatement, it's just a strategic chess piece 

And the  big Nickel is replacing Taron Johnson who is a really fine slot corner.. it's a specific strategic piece

I dont have the numbers...maybe you do, but perhaps he hasn't used a big nickle with the Bills because we haven't had one? 

I can't recall who played that part in Carolina either. 

Edited by DJB

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

I dont have the numbers...maybe you do, but perhaps he hasn't used a big nickle with the Bills because haven't had one? 

It's a formation that is very dependant on offensive formations

It's going 3 Safeties instead of 2 and a Nickel corner... So that big dime safety has to be able to cover slot WRs, be tough in run support, blitz off the edge , play a hook zone, and be fundamentally sound 

Yea if you had charles woodson you would be golden but the majority of players can't handle the full duties off the role so it's relagated to a small part of the book.. it's not made for 70% of packages 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'm just a little surpised at how much we continue to add to the group. 

But I guess at some point Beasley and Sanders will be replaced. 

The receivers take a beating in this offense.........tons of short passes.......lot's of tacklers coming downhill at them.........it wasn't surprising that they were all pretty beat up come playoff time.    They need a lot of receivers.........it's the "fastball" of their offense as McDermott says.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I just meant in general, he's a heck of a player. Had he not opted out for the season I think he would have been a first round lock imo. Not sure of his projection this year. It's hard to say with a bunch of these guys opting out.

I think that might be the assumption, but we don't know if the luster would have come off of Tryon if he had played last year.  I suspect that Jayson Oweh would be taken a little higher than he will be had he not played last year and generated 0 sacks.