The Biggest Virtue in this year's FA: Patience

With the shrinking cap, excellent players are going to be released by teams scrambling to get under the cap. And, FA contracts will be a lot cheaper this time round than last year - so we wont see records being set (like with Mahomes, Hopkins, Ramsey etc.)

Unless there is a situation where a player is a perfect fit and is very clearly above replacement, the mantra should be patience - since after the initial flurry of deals, there will be lotsa good players chasing shrinking dollars. Also draft picks representing cheap labor are especially valuable this year - so part with them very grudgingly. That, ofc, doesnt mean we dont use them in trades - all it means is that they will fetch much greater value than in years past.

Edit 3/21

Beane is really practicing patience. I admit I am a lil disappointed that we have not yet gotten a game changing pass rusher (seems so far we are running it back with the same team as last year since we have only re-signed our key guys). That being said, several nice players are being released by teams (Adoree Jackson, Kyle Fuller etc.) and there are bargains to be had due to the shrinking cap. Dunlap, Houston, Clowney etc. are decent pass rushers who will go for cheap. Take Houston for example - the guy had 19 sacks the last two years and he is looking at a deal around 6 mill per year. 

Also, with the initial run on pass rushers - there is a good chance one of the top 3 of Phillips, Rousseau or Paye is likely to be available when the Bills pick at 30 - which was unthinkable before FA.

Bottomline: I think Beane's discipline is going to begin to pay off. So let us fasten our seatbelts and enjoy the ride till the draft in terms of player additions to the roster.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not really buying that 100%.

It's true somewhat every year, and this year will be the same. 

But I expect teams, as usual, to target a few guys as their main objectives and go for those guys early. And then comes time for patience.

IMO it'll be much like every year, but with lower prices and fewer competitors for the FAs.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think pass rush will be addressed significantly. Other than that I think they have patience.

I think they will have one target as well. After that patience will pay off big time. 

28 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Hell no they went after Watt and they want to upgrade the positions and do not care about patience.

I agree they need to upgrade the pass rush (who doesn’t?), BUT....they did show patience/restraint to a degree in that they set a price and didn’t chase him beyond that line in the sand. I would have wanted Watt, but NOT at that price. I’m glad they were involved, and I’m glad they didn’t get carried away. 

I trust them to do what they need to do in a responsible way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

With the shrinking cap, excellent players are going to be released by teams scrambling to get under the cap. And, FA contracts will be a lot cheaper this time round than last year - so we wont see records being set (like with Mahomes, Hopkins, Ramsey etc.)

Unless there is a situation where a player is a perfect fit and is very clearly above replacement, the mantra should be patience - since after the initial flurry of deals, there will be lotsa good players chasing shrinking dollars. Also draft picks representing cheap labor are especially valuable this year - so part with them very grudgingly. That, ofc, doesnt mean we dont use them in trades - all it means is that they will fetch much greater value than in years past.

i agree, to an extent. After the few premium guys go, the market will be flooded with very solid free agents and demand due to cap space will be pretty low. I think that equates to lower contract values. There could be some steals later in free agency. 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

I agree they need to upgrade the pass rush (who doesn’t?), BUT....they did show patience/restraint to a degree in that they set a price and didn’t chase him beyond that line in the sand. I would have wanted Watt, but NOT at that price. I’m glad they were involved, and I’m glad they didn’t get carried away. 

I trust them to do what they need to do in a responsible way. 

So the OP says patience is waiting for the leftovers and we went hard at Watt... That is what I was talking about. Doesn't matter if they didn't want to over pay him that wasn't about patience that was just a set price they had in mind.

It is really about opportunity and then timing, Beane will move on targets when the opportunity presents itself, and the timing is right to make the move. 

9 hours ago, TBBills said:

So the OP says patience is waiting for the leftovers and we went hard at Watt... That is what I was talking about. Doesn't matter if they didn't want to over pay him that wasn't about patience that was just a set price they had in mind.

He clearly included a caveat:

Unless there is a situation where a player is a perfect fit and is very clearly above replacement, the mantra should be patience”

I don’t think he said we have to wait for scraps after everybody else picked thru the free agent barrel. I like the way the FO handled the Watt situation - they determined how much they were willing to pay and they didn’t get involved in a bidding war that took them beyond that amount. Watt was that “situation”, and it just didn’t work out.  

Edited by Augie

Beane is really practicing patience. I admit I am a lil disappointed that we have not yet gotten a game changing pass rusher (seems so far we are running it back with the same team as last year since we have only re-signed our key guys). That being said, several nice players are being released by teams (Adoree Jackson, Kyle Fuller etc.) and there are bargains to be had due to the shrinking cap. Dunlap, Houston, Clowney etc. are decent pass rushers who will go for cheap. Take Houston for example - the guy had 19 sacks the last two years and he is looking at a deal around 6 mill per year. 

Also, with the initial run on pass rushers - there is a good chance one of the top 3 of Phillips, Rousseau or Paye is likely to be available when the Bills pick at 30 - which was unthinkable before FA.

Bottomline: I think Beane's discipline is going to begin to pay off. So let us fasten our seatbelts and enjoy the ride till the draft in terms of player additions to the roster.

• Agree 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:45 PM, Limeaid said:

Any FAs Bills sign are players like Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde - players undervalued by team they are either because they were not properly utilized or in wrong scheme.

Hughes is another great example!

11 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I agree with you but "Patience my ass I'm gonna Kill Something".

Feliciano's contract has not yet shown up on sites like Spotrac and Overthecap, and it seems to me that we're going to have to renegotiate at least one contracts where we convert salary to bonus and "kick the can forward" just to fit him in and have $$ for draft picks - Tre White, Diggs (will want more $$ if we ask) or Dawkins.

Matakevich extension has also not shown up.

• Agree 1