Ben takes pay cut in new deal with Steelers

Greg S

54 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

14 mill is still above expectation. I thought he would come in around 10 mill given no other team wants him.

They couldn't cut him the cap hit was huge.

He had to come back or screw the team.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It feels to me like the Steelers have been winning in spite of, not because of, Big Ben for a while now.

It may feel like a while but it really isn't. It was true in 2020. He missed most of 2019. But in 2018 he had career highs in yards and touchdowns. Pittsburgh are one of those teams who just when they seem to get the D right the O goes off and vice versa. Ben is done, he should retire, but it is only a couple of years ago this was still the Big Ben show.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger's new contract for 2021 utilizes a signing bonus, minimum base salary and voidable years to free up about $15 million of cap space, per source. Big Ben takes a $5M paycut, from $19M to $14M, giving the team much-needed breathing room." / Twitter

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you hearing this Joshua Patrick Allen?  How about $1 million a year from the Bills and Nike pays you $39 million a year?

Cheese does have a point if applied to Ben - hard to get endorsements when you are not playing. 

Ben does get endorsements, right?  I thought AARP commercial with him in it.  Emergency medical care should be a natural endorsement for him too.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Brains are fine, but body is needed too.

By the end of the season, Big Ben's brain was writing checks his arm talent couldn't cash for him

Oh, I think his body could deliver.   I think his offense was a broken down mess, one dimensional and predictable.  I don't Ben was physically worse than Rivers.   Rivers couldn't throw worth a darn, and he's never been mobile.   But he had a creative offensive coach, and he was fine. 

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How do you know Rudolph isn’t the answer? He’s got a big arm, good size, and played pretty well for a rookie. I wouldn’t count him out...yet.

Just my opinion, but he doesn't have a big arm.  And despite good size, comes across as soft.

Maybe Steelers see something, like you. Mason is on his last year too, so should be intersting how they handle

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

They’re going to be in some trouble when Ben retires. He’s been a shell of his former self for last couple years now and the team is fading around him, no o line no running game and no number 1 WR. 

The lack of respect for Dwayne Haskins is down right disrespectful. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Might as well, his play has gone down, better than getting cut.

Am I the only one who has a hard time evaluating his play fairly? He’s not what he used to be, but I’m glad to see his play on the field decline because of his “stuff” off the field. I may be blinded by my dislike of some of the reports and allegations about him. Did I mention I’m not a jersey guy? 

I think roethlisberger was tremendous last year given the serious deficiencies that Pittsburgh had as an offense. With any given team that's really good, there's a period where they're playing at their best and there's a period where they look like they stink and there's a lot of in between as a season goes. the similarity here in Buffalo is that we knew all year that the team was a one-dimensional offense with Josh Allen throwing to the receivers and that train was going to be ridden until the wheels fell off. Buffalo stunk against Kansas City and Tennessee early in the season, looked like the best team in the league for the month of December, then caught some bad injury breaks at the wide receiver position going into the playoffs and won two games anyway.

Pittsburgh kind of went through the same thing, but caught their slump at exactly the wrong time at the end of the year. the only thing they really had offensively was been roethlisberger throwing quick passes to wide receivers who weren't very good because their personnel is limited. Then roethlisberger was 3rd and attempts and completed 66% of his passes and through pics less than 2% of the time on a team that couldn't really pass block and couldn't really run the ball.

the Big Ben is way closer to the end than he is to the beginning and nobody's going to dispute that, but we know that the answer in Pittsburgh isn't on the roster right now and there isn't really a market otherwise unless they want to trade for Sam darnold or something.

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Would the jets take a late 1st rounder for Darnold? I suspect that is all that the Steelers could offer. 

Is Darnold realistically fetching a first?  Im really not being a jerk, but Id be on the fence about a 4th for him.  Hes mentally shook, Jets really screwed him up

He’s been declining for a few years.  He made a smart decision taking less to hold on, and the Steelers know they don’t have another option.  The team is going down.  I have nothing against the Steelers, even rooted for them against the Pats when we stunk, but they just have too many holes.

Its taken long enough, but the Bills are on the rise, the Chiefs, the Colts, the Ravens, even the Chargers might be emerging in the coming years.

30 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Is Darnold realistically fetching a first?  Im really not being a jerk, but Id be on the fence about a 4th for him.  Hes mentally shook, Jets really screwed him up

I honestly have no idea what his value is. In my mind, he’s worth more than wentz, but I don’t know how teams are valuing him at this point. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, I think his body could deliver.   I think his offense was a broken down mess, one dimensional and predictable.  I don't Ben was physically worse than Rivers.   Rivers couldn't throw worth a darn, and he's never been mobile.   But he had a creative offensive coach, and he was fine. 

I guardedly agree that he could still throw. It's hard to be sure, but it looked that way.

But IMO it was less that Rivers was coached all that much better and more that the Indy OL was very good and the Pittsburgh OL was very bad. Ben had to get rid of the ball very fast on nearly every play, and that did get predictable and thus easy to take advantage of.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I guardedly agree that he could still throw. It's hard to be sure, but it looked that way.

But IMO it was less that Rivers was coached all that much better and more that the Indy OL was very good and the Pittsburgh OL was very bad. Ben had to get rid of the ball very fast on nearly every play, and that did get predictable and thus easy to take advantage of.

Fair enough; I can't say I studied either team closely.   But the point is still the same:  although Ben is at the end of his career, the Steelers' problems last year weren't primarily Ben.  With the right surrounding cast, Ben would have been fine.   

As someone pointed out, the Steelers' problem is the same as the Patriots' problem:  an aging, under-talented and a HOF QB about to disappear, albeit for different reasons.