Ben takes pay cut in new deal with Steelers

Greg S

Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger's new contract for 2021 utilizes a signing bonus, minimum base salary and voidable years to free up about $15 million of cap space, per source. Big Ben takes a $5M paycut, from $19M to $14M, giving the team much-needed breathing room." / Twitter

• Like (+1) 1

You all are too hard on Ben. Their OC was horrible— just a bad internal

hire who has now been let go. And their line was old and terrible.

Ben doesn’t have the huge arm and mobility anymore— but he has a big enough arm to make all the throws he needs to. The Steelers-Colts game late last year was clear evidence of that. When he started calling his own plays in that game, the offense looked a lot better. 

I think this was the smart move to sign him back. Gives them time to find a successor, and I would expect them to be in the fight for a playoff spot with Ben, a better oline, a better OC, and a top-5 defense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Ben doesn’t have the huge arm and mobility anymore— but he has a big enough arm to make all the throws he needs to. The Steelers-Colts game late last year was clear evidence of that. When he started calling his own plays in that game, the offense looked a lot better. 

I think this was the smart move to sign him back. Gives them time to find a successor, and I would expect them to be in the fight for a playoff spot with Ben, a better oline, a better OC, and a top-5 defense.

I agree.   Who else were they going to get?  You saw what they looked like with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges.   You dont get rid of a guy who throws 33 touchdowns to 10 ints unless you have another guy who can do that, and only 7 other QBs in the entire NFL did that last year.   Ben isn't 2014 Ben anymore, but he still gives them a better shot at getting the the playoffs than anyone else on the free agency market or anyone they are going to be able to draft at  24.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree.   Who else were they going to get?  You saw what they looked like with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges.   You dont get rid of a guy who throws 33 touchdowns to 10 ints unless you have another guy who can do that, and only 7 other QBs in the entire NFL did that last year.   Ben isn't 2014 Ben anymore, but he still gives them a better shot at getting the the playoffs than anyone else on the free agency market or anyone they are going to be able to draft at  24.

If the Jets move on from Darnold then I could see Pitt being one of the teams interested. 

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

But the reality is the oline is in shambles and is a muliti year rebuild. The RBs are lousy and they are potentially losing Dupree.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

1. they didn't "sign him back", just changed some financial obligations

2. basically steelers got themselves into this ugly deal, so best they could do was create a fake 4yr voidable extension, convert salary to signing bonus, and spread that cap.  On top of this, Ben takes a $5m pay cut

So all in all, Steelers continue to kick the can.  They will "void" his contract next yr, and have a $10m dead cap hit.

Not much else Steelers could do.  Although Mason showed up well in that last game against Cleveland, he's not the future.  

I also.dont think Steelers are fixing all their offensive issues in 1 offseason, given they are already in cap hell.  Pouncey retired, Villenueva is a FA, as well others.  

I will give you better o-coordinator, but that defense will likely regress without Dupree (either gone in FA, or not fully healed)

51 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Would not have gone in this direction myself. Steelers are super loyal to QBs , great....enjoy the celler . 

While I agree with you that they will struggle with him at QB... they're going to struggle without him and he will be a great filler QB for whomever they bring in to replace

49 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree.   Who else were they going to get? 

Welllllllllll.... I don't know if I should mention this, but Pittsburgh did sign Dwayne Haskins....

14 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He appears to be disinterested, when you look for any emotion on his face, as if he has 'already left the building'. 

That being said, he threw for 505 yards, in that playoff loss.

He looked as though he was going to cry at the end of that game. 

I don't think it's a useful thing to feel that if a vet QB doesn't show emotion publicly on his face, he doesn't have any or he's disinterested.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree, too.  Everyone undervalues brains and experience.  Look at what Rivers did last season.  Brissett couldn't do that, and Rivers arm is no better than Brissett's.  And Brissett is much more mobile.  But Rivers, like Ben, thinks about the game at a very high level. 

Good move by Steelers while they try to figure out who's next. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree, too.  Everyone undervalues brains and experience.  Look at what Rivers did last season.  Brissett couldn't do that, and Rivers arm is no better than Brissett's.  And Brissett is much more mobile.  But Rivers, like Ben, thinks about the game at a very high level. 

Good move by Steelers while they try to figure out who's next. 

Brains are fine, but body is needed too.

By the end of the season, Big Ben's brain was writing checks his arm talent couldn't cash for him

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

1. they didn't "sign him back", just changed some financial obligations

2. basically steelers got themselves into this ugly deal, so best they could do was create a fake 4yr voidable extension, convert salary to signing bonus, and spread that cap.  On top of this, Ben takes a $5m pay cut

So all in all, Steelers continue to kick the can.  They will "void" his contract next yr, and have a $10m dead cap hit.

Not much else Steelers could do.  Although Mason showed up well in that last game against Cleveland, he's not the future.  

I also.dont think Steelers are fixing all their offensive issues in 1 offseason, given they are already in cap hell.  Pouncey retired, Villenueva is a FA, as well others.  

I will give you better o-coordinator, but that defense will likely regress without Dupree (either gone in FA, or not fully healed)

How do you know Rudolph isn’t the answer? He’s got a big arm, good size, and played pretty well for a rookie. I wouldn’t count him out...yet.