Dak wants deal right behind Mahomes..my question is based on what??

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I dunno...the Rams don't seem to care about first round picks and they have done OK. Seattle did the same to a lesser degree during their Legion of Boom Super Bowl years as well and it worked out pretty OK for them.

How valuable are first round picks? Is it possible they are actually overvalued and it has taken some innovative GMs with different thinking to challenge this groupthink notion?

I think the biggest benefit is you have a guy on a rookie contract for multiple years versus a stud guy you are paying top dollar for. But can that be offset by drafting really well in the lower rounds, so you have starters making rookie minimum-900K versus 3 or 4 million or more?

They are overvalued. But it really depends where you are on the cycle. I don't think it makes sense for Dallas where they are now. 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

2-3? Sure. But they lost one of those games because they couldn't cover a freakin' onside kick and ended up losing in the most embarrassing of fashions. None of that loss had to do with Prescott, who had a huge game.  

doesn’t matter, He is a member of the team, it’s his loss as well, no excuses for Buffalo when they F up, so none for them...

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

2-3? Sure. But they lost one of those games because they couldn't cover a freakin' onside kick and ended up losing in the most embarrassing of fashions. None of that loss had to do with Prescott, who had a huge game.  

Wasn’t he a member of the team that lost the game...? 

28 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

That is closer but still problematic. I think Seattle would have to throw in a 2nd or 1st. Age is everything in football. A 26 yearold QB vs a 32 years old is a big deal. Besides I personally think Watson is just as good as Wilson, if anything they are 1a and 1b

I agree on the age difference, only Wilson has won big in this league and Watson hasn’t. I think Watson and Prescott are very similar if you look at bottom-line results. Cowboys are probably best served  in the end by paying Zac and not giving away any other assets.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

doesn’t matter, He is a member of the team, it’s his loss as well, no excuses for Buffalo when they F up, so none for them...

Wasn’t he a member of the team that lost the game...? 

These aren't arguments. They're loose correlations that don't account for causation. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

These aren't arguments. They're loose correlations that don't account for causation. 

That’s cute, but he is part of the team that lost, so..  no excuses he lost just like every other member of the team, feel free to go into your spin cycle... 😁

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I agree on the age difference, only Wilson has won big in this league and Watson hasn’t. I think Watson and Prescott are very similar if you look at bottom-line results. Cowboys are probably best served  in the end by paying Zac and not giving away any other assets.

I am a Dak fan. He isn't close to Watson.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh well, point proven. 😔

Mark Sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs, Josh Allen is 2-2. Is Sanchez better than Allen? 

Just an absolute nonsense argument.

Well, I'm a Josh Allen homer and I never liked Sanchez, so I would have to say no. :D

Nevertheless, neither Dak at 1-2 nor Deshaun at 1-2 have experienced as much bottom-line success in the playoffs as either of them TO DATE. Do they have the potential to do better? Sure. Have they shown it yet? No.

Edited by Rico

23 hours ago, wagne591 said:

I don't know how much pull the Pats have anymore....think about it....Brady gone and happier....Gronk gone and happier.....Van Noy (who I would like to get in FA if we can't get Milano)I would be surprised if he goes back to NE....because he is a good fit there and if he doesn't go back that should say something about the moral within the Pat's organization. Nobody ever looked like they were having fun over there even when they were winning. And I don't recall any ex-pats returning after they left....

I hear you. I'm just saying that I'd rather him not be in our division. Whether it's the Pats, Fins, or Jets. I think he's a good QB. While QBs aren't fully responsible for wins, good QBs always increase your team's chance to win.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

Well, I'm a Josh Allen homer and I never liked Sanchez, so I would have to say no. :D

Nevertheless, neither Dak at 1-2 nor Deshaun at 1-2 have experienced as much bottom-line success in the playoffs as either of them TO DATE. Do they have the potential to do better? Sure. Have they shown it yet? No.

Is that a sensible way to evaluate Quarterbacks? Also no. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

If I understand it correctly, he wants 38-40 per, no?

If so, which team do you think gives him such money?

I think he will end up signing somewhere for $36.5m AAV or thereabouts and by far the most likely place is Dallas. If not Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, New England, New Orleans, Carolina.... basically all the places we know are in the QB market. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he will end up signing somewhere for $36.5m AAV or thereabouts and by far the most likely place is Dallas. If not Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, New England, New Orleans, Carolina.... basically all the places we know are in the QB market. 

You really think that Saints can make it work cap wise? Bears are also -3M right now. I guess it is possible somehow but Saints?

The others have more cap space than I thought. 

46 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You really think that Saints can make it work cap wise? Bears are also -3M right now. I guess it is possible somehow but Saints?

The others have more cap space than I thought. 

Would be trickier for the Saints but if you don't have a Quarterback and you are getting a shot at one you make the cap work somehow. I think they are more likely if Dallas tag him again then let him walk next year, granted.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Is that a sensible way to evaluate Quarterbacks? Also no. 

I never said it was 100% fair. It's not always fair.

But there are 3 indisputable facts:

1. Nothing is more important in the NFL than winning the Super Bowl.

2. You can't win a Super Bowl if you can't win in the playoffs.

3. It's impossible to win a Super Bowl if you do not make the playoffs.

There is also a 4th 'fact' which has been almost always true with the exception of a few outliers:

4. The QB is very important and a major factor for any team that has won a Super Bowl.

With that have been said,

I choose to ultimately judge QBs based on look test and bottom-line results in the biggest of games. I find that to be more valid than look test accompanied by the sometimes frantic spinning and twisting of stats to justify what is believed to be seen.

YMMV.:D