Dak wants deal right behind Mahomes..my question is based on what??

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh he isn't elite, nobody would argue he is. But he is a solid top 10 QB and he wins plenty. 

He has won a bunch of games, no doubt, and likely will win a lot, he strikes me as a new generation Rivers, 

4 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Dak cant put the team on shoulders. I would move on. He is a stat guy. Cowboys made him fair offers. 

Ive been having this conversation since football is over and the sabres blow. 

This is kinda how I feel about Eichel. He’s great, but the Sabres need him to be Ovechkin. But that’s not him. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Rivers deserved to get paid.

Dak will as well if he can learn to carry his team, 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Ask for a lot and end up in the middle. Boys will just keep tagging him 

Can't. You can only do it so many times before it becomes prohibitivly expensive.

47 minutes ago, ngbills said:

People always confuse highest paid = best player with the most recently paid player.

Yep. Not every player is up for a new deal every year. I use the Derek Carr example for this a lot. When he was paid he was the highest paid player in the league. 2 years later he was 10th. It is much more about the cycle of when contracts come up as it is a ranking of whose best.

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

What? The only reason the Cowboys were even remotely competitive at the start of last season is because Dak was throwing 500 yards a game. He's a very, very good QB.

Being said, compound fractures are no joke and I would not want to lock up a guy who's level of mobility is highly in question for that kind of money. If I were the Cowboys, I'd franchise tag him and then see how he does next year. Given the numbers he's demanding, it seems like the only outcome of that is the Cowboys ending up paying him less.

Everyone raves about the Cowboys talent ALWAYS...until the narrative does not fit. The Cowboys had a great running game, good pass rushers, and a scrappy defense they spent decent cash on. Now suddenly they don't have talent. Hmmm....

The Bills game was a microcosm of Dak's skill set. That year he could not get them in and choked. They blew easy games against bad teams down the stretch.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Everyone raves about the Cowboys talent ALWAYS...until the narrative does not fit. The Cowboys had a great running game, good pass rushers, and a scrappy defense they spent decent cash on. Now suddenly they don't have talent. Hmmm....

The Bills game was a microcosm of Dak's skill set. That year he could not get them in and choked. They blew easy games against bad teams down the stretch.

It always comes back to the Bills game. Lol. It’s one game.

• Like (+1) 1

It always shocks and surprises me when people start a negotiation by asking for a bit more than they're likely to get.

It also shocks and surprises me when there is disagreement on the value of a unique product or service on the open market.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Based on leverage being the best option for the next season. To me, he is not worth signing or franchising. He's coming off  2 radical ankle surgeries and hasn't been great since his rookie year. If Jerry  signs him for Mahomes or Watson money the Boys will be mediocre for the foreseeable future. Couldn't happen to nicer folks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Ask for a lot and end up in the middle. Boys will just keep tagging him 

2021 tag value for Dak Prescott:  $37,690,800

2022 tag value for Dak Prescott:  $54,274,752

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-dak-prescott-tops-12-franchise-tag-candidates-in-2021-plus-each-positions-projected-tag-salary/

And I believe the next year it goes up by 44% again.

There's pressure on the Boys to get a deal done. He's worth signing even if you're overpaying a bit.

But if I'm Dallas and I'm determined not to overpay, I draft a QB early this year, possibly with a tradeup. It would be a mistake, but if you're determined not to overpay it's the next-best alternative even if it's much much worse in its impact on your team.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m no expert, but I think Dak deserves a contract similar to Russell Wilson’s.  Somewhere around 35 million AAV.   He’ll probably get more than that though.  Some team will over pay, and I don’t think it will be Dallas.

If Russ wants out of Seattle it would be interesting if Jerry would go after Russ and maybe involve Dak in the trade.  He'd have to franchise tag him first obviously and maybe throw in a first round pick.  Cowboys were on Wilson's four team wish list.

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He was offered 31m per season and he should have taken it..but no.....

I wonder who leaked that.  How much as guaranteed?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Dak isn't as good as Mahomes... But he's good enough that I wouldn't want to see the Pats sign him.

I don't know how much pull the Pats have anymore....think about it....Brady gone and happier....Gronk gone and happier.....Van Noy (who I would like to get in FA if we can't get Milano)I would be surprised if he goes back to NE....because he is a good fit there and if he doesn't go back that should say something about the moral within the Pat's organization. Nobody ever looked like they were having fun over there even when they were winning. And I don't recall any ex-pats returning after they left....

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Cowboys could have had him at $32m per two years ago and blew it. He isn't worth the 2nd highest contract but he is a top 10 Quarterback and he has a lot of leverage because the Cowboys have ballsed this up. 

No, they didn't because with the seriousness of his injury, the market for his services isn't as robust as it might have been, giving the Cowboys leverage... they'll let Dak walk and not pay some ungodly $39 million plus a year or more...

8 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Peyton Mannings rookie contract was double what rookies get today. Guys like him are just fine with what they made.... As for Dak, if im Dallas i'm moving on. What has he accomplished with them? 

Not exactly, Manning’s rookie deal was 6 years 48 mil w $11 mil signing bonus 

Joe Burrow’s rookie deal is 4 years 36 mil with $23 mil signing bonus.

even factoring inflation, they’re comparable contracts.

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

No, they didn't because with the seriousness of his injury, the market for his services isn't as robust as it might have been, giving the Cowboys leverage... they'll let Dak walk and not pay some ungodly $39 million plus a year or more...

He isn't hitting the market. And it he does he is getting his money.