Dak wants deal right behind Mahomes..my question is based on what??

Just now, RichRiderBills said:

The answer to your question is yes. Then again Blake Bortles won 2 playoff games and got his team within 4 points of the SB with a good Defense. Any team with that good of a defense can be a contender. 

To be clear, Dak was offered a top 10 QB number...he's also made a top 5 # over the last 2 years. 

Dak has been given tools to win. Oline draft picks , paid RB and kept him. Proactive to get WRs and pay them. Not like they've let him flap.

They routinely bring in top coaches to the D and try supply talent there as well. 

Andy Dalton was considered the best backup/ borderline starter when Dallas brought him in. The Cowboys fell off a climb offensively when Dak got hurt.  If anything, Dak getting hurt should he is al it better than people give him credit for. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

College records don’t count in the league, and was Romo even drafted..,  Dak as athletic and strong a QB as he is, and with the talent he has been surrounded by has come up short repeatedly, even before his injury he was sucking as a team leader this past season, and didn’t even make the playoffs the year before, the kid just seems to lack the elite gene, and it shows. Dak is like other QBs with good stats that don’t get it done for their teams. 

Oh he isn't elite, nobody would argue he is. But he is a solid top 10 QB and he wins plenty. 

Not saying they should pay but Dak is in the drivers seat, he is an FA, Mahomes was on his rookie deal with years to go.   Generally NFL revenues go up so do salaries.....obviously this year is an exception but if you are going 10 years out you can make the assumption it will recover healthily.   Dak's "statistics" were pretty crazy before his injury.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Not saying they should pay but Dak is in the drivers seat, he is an FA, Mahomes was on his rookie deal with years to go.   Generally NFL revenues go up so do salaries.....obviously this year is an exception but if you are going 10 years out you can make the assumption it will recover healthily.   Dak's "statistics" were pretty crazy before his injury.  

Dak is 100% in the driving seat. If he hit the market, he would be unemployed for about 60 seconds. He doesn't need the Cowboys. The Cowboys need him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think he's really good. $35-$40 million per year is about the going rate for a very good starting QB. There do seem to be quite a few great prospects coming up the past couple seasons, that may effect some contracts, but if you have a franchise QB, you keep him.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Peyton Mannings rookie contract was double what rookies get today. Guys like him are just fine with what they made.... As for Dak, if im Dallas i'm moving on. What has he accomplished with them? 

Dak for Rus Wilson seems to make sense. (With other stuff maybe thrown in the deal)

Win/win situation for both teams IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This dude is dreaming if he thinks he is deserving of that type of money and the Cowboys are flat out dumb if they even are thinking about paying it.

Based on what does Dak think he is even in the same league as Mahomes?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-cowboys-prescott-seeking-deal-205754257.html

I don’t understand it either, but if he can get that dough from money grubbing Jerry Jones...get that dough!!!

3 hours ago, Frat-Train said:

He won me a fantasy championship a few years back and I like sleep number mattresses...   Gotta be worth a few shekels.

But yea, no way I’m paying “Mahomes money” for Dak.  But I think Jerry should because draft yachts...

Unrelated but seriously do you have a sleep number?  He makes the damn thing look so comfy lol ive looked online a few times

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Dak cant put the team on shoulders. I would move on. He is a stat guy. Cowboys made him fair offers. 

What? The only reason the Cowboys were even remotely competitive at the start of last season is because Dak was throwing 500 yards a game. He's a very, very good QB.

Being said, compound fractures are no joke and I would not want to lock up a guy who's level of mobility is highly in question for that kind of money. If I were the Cowboys, I'd franchise tag him and then see how he does next year. Given the numbers he's demanding, it seems like the only outcome of that is the Cowboys ending up paying him less.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Cowboys could have had him at $32m per two years ago and blew it. He isn't worth the 2nd highest contract but he is a top 10 Quarterback and he has a lot of leverage because the Cowboys have ballsed this up. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If he hits the market he isn't going back to Dallas.

CORRECT.  He hits the market, and QB needy teams wtih CAP space will write a check Dallas can't cash.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Dak doesn't have to be as good as Mahomes to get paid.  Right now, really good QBs (which might or might not include Dak, your call) have the upper hand in negotiations with teams.  The teams with the good ones look at what happens to all the rest, and scrape together the cash to pay up.  So, the answer to the question, "based on what?" is -- supply and demand.

Not all top QBs want to squeeze every nickel that they can.  Brady never really got what he was worth from New England, but he was smart enough to know that the Pats needed money to have a lot of other good players, so the team could win which would make Brady look good.  Plus his wife has a good job too. 

I am watching and waiting to see what happens with Josh Allen.  He didn't come from money, and he doesn't have a rich girlfriend.  The temptation for him will be to go after the kind of money that Mahomes got.  If that's what happens, I won't blame him, but I'll be worried about the future of the team.

DAK is in a good spot....he is going to get paid either by 1. Tag again...2nd tag is huge money like 38 mil.  2. Dallas signs him...or 3..he hits market, where he will be offered without any doubt at all..a contract that would pay him more than Mahomes...it isn't based on wich of the 2 is the better player....it's the MARKET.  

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

You don't have to be the best QB in the league to get the top contract. You just have to be the best one currently looking for an extension. Both Carr and Goff were the highest paid QB in the NFL at one point.

CORRECT.  See above.....you just need to be really good and in the market....because both those conditions rarely apply to QB's at the same time...so when it happens...it happens big.

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Ask for a lot and end up in the middle. Boys will just keep tagging him 

No...they won't.....a third tag would come in around 60 million or more....all on one years cap....they couldn't afford it..../..... it would destroy their cap and roster.

No big deal. There's about a $5 million per year difference between Mahomes and the next tier. Allen and everyone else close to Allen is written in stone as of now to slot between $40m and $44m.

The guaranteed money will be the biggest thing. That's a worry for Beane and the Pegulas. 

31 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Unrelated but seriously do you have a sleep number?  He makes the damn thing look so comfy lol ive looked online a few times

It’s amazing!  No joke!  Best night’s sleep.  I never slept as good as I do now.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are really still doing win totals for qbs? Because it’s pretty dumb. 

I mean i get that its not the be all end all... but bottom line if the formula isnt working, you dont think its time to move on?  it hasnt worked on the contract hes on, is the team roster going to get better or worse if they tie him up with a fat contract?  hes had plenty of years to show he can put the team on his back and win, and he hasnt

• Disagree 1