Rumor: Sabres for Sale, Maybe; Maybe Not

Nextmanup

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No it never came out what happened with Patty La La. 

The rumor at the time was that he was exceeding the boundaries of his job in an unauthorized way.

GMs were calling the team inquiring about the availability of Ryan Miller during the early rebuild.

Pat was telling them "He's not available" and ending the calls, despite the official position of the organization being that they were interested in moving him.

That whole thing was weird.  I think Pat was too independent in his thinking for Pegula, who seems to like to surround himself with a cocoon of sycophants.

Interesting.

And do we happen to know where Dominik Hasek’s wife was during all of this??

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/4/2021 at 9:59 PM, Doc said:

I know about Terry being a hockey fan, but at some point of it not working, you'd figure he'd see what worked with the Bills and do that with the Sabres.  I'm curious to see what Wawrow has. 

irresponsible "report," and i hesitate to even call it that.

the only sliver of truth to it is that someone expressed interest and was immediately dismissed.

and before someone misinterprets this as something more, this happens on occasion.

but to suggest NDA's were issued and all that is beyond the realm of reality. it's not even on the same planet.

jw

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks, john.

Desperate to grab onto any kernel of hope that this doomed management structure is ending.  

Don't necessarily want them to sell.  I understand the stability that would sacrifice (I would imagine the pegulas would try to ensure local interests)... but a team President is what I am hoping for.

This really is the worst though.  I can't even watch games anymore.  Watched probably 99% of them from 1986-2013.  I catch a period now and then.  Get bored, do something else.

6 hours ago, john wawrow said:

irresponsible "report," and i hesitate to even call it that.

the only sliver of truth to it is that someone expressed interest and was immediately dismissed.

and before someone misinterprets this as something more, this happens on occasion.

but to suggest NDA's were issued and all that is beyond the realm of reality. it's not even on the same planet.

jw

The "report" doesn't bother me.  I've become distrustful of "reporting" these days. 

And even if the Pegulas were truly looking to sell the Sabres, it still wouldn't bother me.  My main concern is the Bills and they're doing a great job with them (after some early and quickly remedied hiccups), and if selling the Sabres helps them focus on them, so much the better. 

But while I'm just a casual Sabres fan, I'd rather the team not move.  I know the Pegulas will keep the team in Buffalo just like they will the Bills, and they were a godsend for us Bills fans (which leaves me dumbfounded as to why any Bills fan would trash them).

I'm just curious why the Sabres have been so bad these past 10 years.  It appears that you're working on a story so if it's a matter of them doing the same wrong things for the past 10 years and not learning, maybe putting that on paper will spur them to finally make changes.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm just curious why the Sabres have been so bad these past 10 years.  It appears that you're working on a story so if it's a matter of them doing the same wrong things for the past 10 years and not learning, maybe putting that on paper will spur them to finally make changes.

The answer to your question is Tim Murray.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:29 PM, Jauronimo said:

Can El Pegual really only own JUST the Bills OR the Sabres per NFL and NHL bylaws???  Seems fishy to me.  

The real question is can they own an NFL team, an NHL team, a sports bar, a hotel, multiple hockey rinks, an indoor lacrosse team, a creative agency, an entertainment company, and a bakery? 

I thought they already moved and we were watching a bad ECHL team

On 3/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Nextmanup said:

No it never came out what happened with Patty La La. 

The rumor at the time was that he was exceeding the boundaries of his job in an unauthorized way.

GMs were calling the team inquiring about the availability of Ryan Miller during the early rebuild.

Pat was telling them "He's not available" and ending the calls, despite the official position of the organization being that they were interested in moving him.

That whole thing was weird.  I think Pat was too independent in his thinking for Pegula, who seems to like to surround himself with a cocoon of sycophants.

Sad thing is they need a real team president not Kim. You know a independent thinker like Pat LaLa

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, Doc said:

The "report" doesn't bother me.  I've become distrustful of "reporting" these days. 

And even if the Pegulas were truly looking to sell the Sabres, it still wouldn't bother me.  My main concern is the Bills and they're doing a great job with them (after some early and quickly remedied hiccups), and if selling the Sabres helps them focus on them, so much the better. 

But while I'm just a casual Sabres fan, I'd rather the team not move.  I know the Pegulas will keep the team in Buffalo just like they will the Bills, and they were a godsend for us Bills fans (which leaves me dumbfounded as to why any Bills fan would trash them).

I expect to have the answer to your questions on this in a story I'm working on.

And, to be clear, the "report" bothers me. Because it's amateurs such as this, who have no guidelines or reins or policy when it comes to sourcing and reporting that makes us all look bad in the industry.

You say, you're distrustful of reporting these days, which is an indication of where things stand for everybody. And yet, you trust me enough to ask this question. ... I'm not knocking you for it, because that's how people view the media. And it's because of irresponsible reports such as these that contribute to making it so, and why I feel it's important to shame those pretend reporters.

jw

Edited by john wawrow
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I expect to have the answer to your questions on this in a story I'm working on.

And, to be clear, the "report" bothers me. Because it's amateurs such as this, who have no guidelines or reins or policy when it comes to sourcing and reporting that makes us all look bad in the industry.

You say, you're distrustful of reporting these days, which is an indication of where things stand for everybody. And yet, you trust me enough to ask this question. ... I'm not knocking you for it, because that's how people view the media. And it's because of irresponsible reports such as these that contribute to making it so, and why I feel it's important to shame those pretend reporters.

jw

I was debating adding-in that while the "report" didn't bother me, it probably bothered you, for the reason you stated. 

And I've seen your work and interacted with you enough over the years to trust you.  Although maybe that's misguided on my part. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.