Rumor: Sabres for Sale, Maybe; Maybe Not

Nextmanup

Lots of rumors floating around right now that the Sabres may be for sale or are in for a restructuring.

Other sources say no.

Where there is smoke there is fire; something gave rise to all this stuff today.  

Perhaps the Pegulas are thinking of restructuring how the team is run.  

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Can El Pegual really only own JUST the Bills OR the Sabres per NFL and NHL bylaws???  Seems fishy to me.  

Yes, as long as he was born and raised in a completely different TV market.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Can El Pegual really only own JUST the Bills OR the Sabres per NFL and NHL bylaws???  Seems fishy to me.  

Yeah, I’m surprised he’s gotten away with it this long, when the rule clearly states an NFL owner may not own two pro sports franchises. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, I’m surprised he’s gotten away with it this long, when the rule clearly states an NFL owner may not own two pro sports franchises. 

It’s all good, Sabres are far from pro.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

If they can find someone who will not move the Sabres, sell the team and get rid of the headache.  The Bills are infinitely more important to them and the area and they've been doing a great job with them. 

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

If they can find someone who will not move the Sabres, sell the team and get rid of the headache.  The Bills are infinitely more important to them and the area and they've been doing a great job with them. 

Terry Pegula is actually a hockey fan first so maybe it's more than just a "headache".  

The first time the Pegula's attended a Bills home game was AFTER they bought the team.........and they had lived in Orchard Park all during the SB years.

It's not like he just bought a hockey team........he built the hockey arena at Penn State and then the Harbor Center.

It might be a case of him thinking he knew enough about hockey to make good hockey decisions..............while it was easier to turn over more control of a team in a sport he hadn't followed closely.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Terry Pegula is actually a hockey fan first so maybe it's more than just a "headache".  

The first time the Pegula's attended a Bills home game was AFTER they bought the team.........and they had lived in Orchard Park all during the SB years.

It's not like he just bought a hockey team........he built the hockey arena at Penn State and then the Harbor Center.

It might be a case of him thinking he knew enough about hockey to make good hockey decisions..............while it was easier to turn over more control of a team in a sport he hadn't followed closely.

I know about Terry being a hockey fan, but at some point of it not working, you'd figure he'd see what worked with the Bills and do that with the Sabres.  I'm curious to see what Wawrow has. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Beane and McDermott are going to run the Sabres too

It's not like they didn't try to find a McBeane to run the Sabres.

The Lafontaine snafu was the oddest thing, that the rest were all bad hires is somewhat remarkable though.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Wrong.  

K9, you are flat out wrong.  An NFL owner can own two different sports franchises if they are in the same market.  Paul Allen owns the Trail Blazers and Seahawks because they consider that the same market.  And I think they even relaxed it more in 2018.  Just admit you're wrong when you're wrong.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

K9, you are flat out wrong.  An NFL owner can own two different sports franchises if they are in the same market.  Paul Allen owns the Trail Blazers and Seahawks because they consider that the same market.  And I think they even relaxed it more in 2018.  Just admit you're wrong when you're wrong.

Here's a link, they can even own say a hockey team in a city where another owner has an NFL team as of 2018.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/17/nfl-finally-ditches-cross-ownership-policy/

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

For crissakes, it’s a fricken joke harkening back to when Pegula was in the process of buying the team, several posters just couldn’t grasp the concept of the NFL rule regarding multi-franchise ownership, and countless Dudley-do rights would jump in to explain it. It became a board theme for several weeks where we would intentionally mis-state the rule with outlandish ownership scenarios just to have these same posters feel the need to constantly correct us. It was funny for a while. At least to those who were in on the joke at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

For crissakes, it’s a fricken joke harkening back to when Pegula was in the process of buying the team, several posters just couldn’t grasp the concept of the NFL rule regarding multi-franchise ownership, and countless Dudley-do rights would jump in to explain it. It became a board theme for several weeks where we would intentionally mis-state the rule with outlandish ownership scenarios just to have these same posters feel the need to constantly correct us. It was funny for a while. At least to those who were in on the joke at the time. 

Didn’t catch that it was a joke.  My bad.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

It's not like they didn't try to find a McBeane to run the Sabres.

The Lafontaine snafu was the oddest thing, that the rest were all bad hires is somewhat remarkable though.

Did it ever come out what actually happened there? Wasn’t there NDA’s involved??

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Did it ever come out what actually happened there? Wasn’t there NDA’s involved??

No it never came out what happened with Patty La La. 

The rumor at the time was that he was exceeding the boundaries of his job in an unauthorized way.

GMs were calling the team inquiring about the availability of Ryan Miller during the early rebuild.

Pat was telling them "He's not available" and ending the calls, despite the official position of the organization being that they were interested in moving him.

That whole thing was weird.  I think Pat was too independent in his thinking for Pegula, who seems to like to surround himself with a cocoon of sycophants.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.