Offseason Primer Position Group: WR/TE

3 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

yessir :thumbsup:

Have a hard time with Toney. He definitely jumps off the screen, but only on occasion, and I don't think that kind of player is worthy of a 1st round pick, even though he almost certainly will be (and he'll DEFINITELY be gone before our 2nd). Could you make a case that he's basically a replacement for Smokey and McKenzie? Probably? Is he Desean Jackson or Curtis Samuel, though? I didn't see enough from him to suggest that he can be a routinely productive player at that level, and I just think his draft price is going to be too high. Now if he fell a lot farther than he's been projected, hell yeah, would love to have a player like him! I'm just not sure the price fits the talent fits the need...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Have a hard time with Toney. He definitely jumps off the screen, but only on occasion, and I don't think that kind of player is worthy of a 1st round pick, even though he almost certainly will be (and he'll DEFINITELY be gone before our 2nd). Could you make a case that he's basically a replacement for Smokey and McKenzie? Probably? Is he Desean Jackson or Curtis Samuel, though? I didn't see enough from him to suggest that he can be a routinely productive player at that level, and I just think his draft price is going to be too high. Now if he fell a lot farther than he's been projected, hell yeah, would love to have a player like him! I'm just not sure the price fits the talent fits the need...

I like what I've seen. Seems quite versatile and knows what to do with it and after he catches it.

3 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Love the idea of drafting a WR yearly. Gotta keep feeding Josh. 

I noticed my boy KT wasn't on your list. I'd grab him something swift if he's there. He's gonna be dynamite.

I love KT.  He’s the only WR I’d be happy taking at 30 (other than the big 3).  I just don’t think he’s going to be there.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2021 at 9:53 PM, NewEra said:

I love KT.  He’s the only WR I’d be happy taking at 30 (other than the big 3).  I just don’t think he’s going to be there.  

Toney reminds me of a less polished version of former Florida State star Peter Warrick.

Warrick broke ankles and seemed to have a million body adjustments at his disposal which allowed him great elusiveness and balance thru contact.

He was amazing against college tacklers........he went 4th overall.

But his lack of actual long speed(4.58) caught up with him in the NFL.    

Warrick ended up being an elusive punt returner and similar to what we see now in Cole Beasley as a receiver...........which is OK but not what you want from a first rounder.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Toney reminds me of a less polished version of former Florida State star Peter Warrick.

Warrick broke ankles and seemed to have a million body adjustments at his disposal which allowed him great elusiveness and balance thru contact.

He was amazing against college tacklers........he went 4th overall.

But his lack of actual long speed(4.58) caught up with him in the NFL.    

Warrick ended up being an elusive punt returner and similar to what we see now in Cole Beasley as a receiver...........which is OK but not what you want from a first rounder.   

Fair comparison with Warrick. I can see that.  He’s a borderline 1st rd talent and we have a borderline 1st rd pick.  I don’t like him as a first rd talent for every team, but I think he fits us well.  Daboll loves his gadgets and he plays that role well out of the back field and on jet sweeps and screens.  Our offense can get stagnant when the opposing D takes away the mid-deep  part of the field and forces us to take the short stuff.  Toney excels in that part of the field and can help us become more efficient.  Beasley can teach him the ropes of the slot like he did mckenzie and we could have ourselves our slot guy for the next several seasons.

I understand why you feel the way you do about him.  I also understand why I feel the way I do about him.  I like his fit on our team more than I like his ability as a first rd talent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’d be really happy if we re-signed Tyler Kroft and then brought Kyle Rudolph in. Let them battle it out with Dawson Knox, Lee Smith and Tommy Sweeney. It would be nice to have some depth there and I think it would open up some Twin TE sets and big sets that we could both run and pass in. I think that’d be a good wrinkle for this offense. It would be much easier to run in those formations, which would be great for Moss and Singletary whom I feel are underrated. 

At WR, I like the idea of cutting John Brown. I think he’s finished. I’d go after someone like Dede Westbrook to come in and bring speed on a relatively cheap contract. Probably wouldn’t cost a whole lot more than McKenzie and obviously I do think you re-sign McKenzie. I think Diggs, Davis, Beasley, Westbrook and McKenzie is a good looking unit. Hopefully we can bring in a speed guy in the draft that can return kicks and hopefully develop into a weapon for Josh. Some say Elijah Moore, some say Dazz Newsome. I think I’d prefer Moore if he is there in RD3, but Newsome may not be a bad option in RD5. Regardless, I do think WR is a need, may not be an overwhelming need but still a need.

Edited by Victory Formation

Khalif Raymond come on down. Will be dirt cheap, can return and play mckenzies role on offense too and is faster. He a small guy but Tennessee almost never used him as they don’t run too many receivers at all out there. 
He would be a under the radar cheap signing with a lot of potential. 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you explain a bit why you feel this way?

Struggled a lot with injuries, veteran TE who has the potential to haul in 30-40 catches as say the #2 option. We should be able to re-sign him for very little guaranteed money, knows the offense, solid camp body that can be cut for no cost. I just figure that between Kroft, Rudolph, Sweeney and Knox that we’d be able to squeeze some decent production out of that group and hopefully run some bigger sets which I think could add balance in the run game and passing game. Obviously we could draft a guy, but at TE, there’s usually a learning curve. 

I would like to see McKenzie brought back and keep John Brown with a pay cut.

Don't know who we would target in the draft as this position is not a dire need.

Looking forward to how Davis will approach his second year and finally getting to see Hodgins.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:12 PM, NewEra said:

Impressive. Looked like a man among boys and has the uncanny ability to come down with ball.  His release looks like it needs work, but you can’t help but love his physical nature and high point timing.  

i hadn’t even seen his name mentioned before.  After watching some tape, that’s surprising. I’d def add him to my list.  Wonder what his overall combine will look like. 

Why is there no love for this guy?? I see you're okay with him

Edited by Solomon Grundy

30 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why is there no love for this guy?? I see you're okay with him

I have love, I just don’t think he’s going to be on the board when we pick.  I’m praying that Micah Parsons falls to us, but I haven’t talked about him because I don’t think there’s any chance he’s on the board.  KD obviously isn’t in the same type of prospect Parsons is, but I just think he’ll be gone before our pick.  

the guy I wish I had mentioned is Rashod Bateman.  I think he’s legit and would be amazing opposite 14.  For w/e reason, I just don’t think we pull the trigger on him

On 3/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, inaugural balls said:

I like what I've seen. Seems quite versatile and knows what to do with it and after he catches it.

He could be another Percy Harvin or Coradelle Patterson. That said I'm not putting WR as our top pick.

Edited by The Jokeman

Njoku needs to be in the TE discussion too. There's no long term future for him in Cleveland and he's popped when shown opportunity and healthy. He'd be a phenomenal complement to Knox and shouldn't cost a lot salary or trade compensation-wise... He might be as close to what I'd consider "perfect" a move as there is in the current TE market, actually...

On 3/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, Victory Formation said:

Struggled a lot with injuries, veteran TE who has the potential to haul in 30-40 catches as say the #2 option. We should be able to re-sign him for very little guaranteed money, knows the offense, solid camp body that can be cut for no cost. I just figure that between Kroft, Rudolph, Sweeney and Knox that we’d be able to squeeze some decent production out of that group and hopefully run some bigger sets which I think could add balance in the run game and passing game. Obviously we could draft a guy, but at TE, there’s usually a learning curve. 

Kroft not being active down the stretch tell me he's gone. I think we could go hard after Gerald Everett as seems like he'd be an upgrade to Knox or if looking for a shorter contract maybe a Richard Rodgers who might not be better than Knox but has a chance to be more consistent.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

He could be another Percy Harvin or Coradelle Patterson. That said I'm not putting WR as our top pick.

I like the comparison to Harvin.

I get WR isn't a "need", but he'd be tough to pass up at 30. He'll go early to mid 20's.

I think he'd be a tremendous weapon for Josh and this offense.

16 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I like the comparison to Harvin.

I get WR isn't a "need", but he'd be tough to pass up at 30. He'll go early to mid 20's.

I think he'd be a tremendous weapon for Josh and this offense.

How many weapons at WR do we need? To me we need to improve our OGs, TEs on offense toss in 2nd CB and pass rush and likely replace Milano and could do so with pick 30 before I'd even think of help at WR.