What About Watson for Jag's No. 1 Pick?

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I think you people are crazy.  If I'm Houston I want more than Lawrence for him.  Watson is a bona fide, proven top 5 NFL QB.  Lawrence is a great college player who hasn't played a down in the NFL.  Speculate all you want about his future, Watson is a sure thing though.

LOL  You sure he is a top 5 QB??  Team went 4-12 last season.  And don't tell me that a lot of that doesn't fall on Mr Baby Desean Watson!!  Never seen so much hype about a guy who has not won anything in the NFL.  He has his moments, don't get me wrong.  But just because he runs around a lot in the backfield doesn't make him a top 5 QB.  He needs to shut his mouth, and get to work turning the Houston Texans around.  Right now it doesn't look like the Texans are going to trade him.  They seriously may let him sit his ass this coming season.  He is making big bucks.  He needs to become the leader of the team and rally the players around him and the new coach.  There is no guarantee when you get drafted that you are going to play in a great situation your entire career.  Athletes today are so coddled.  He got his money.  Now start acting like the leader you are supposed to be.  Instead of the baby B word you acted like after fumbling at the end of the Colts game and sat crying on the bench.  Today's QB's are something.  They barely get hit, and make big money for mediocre play.  And then they whine and cry about not liking their team.  I can still remember Boomer Esiason laying motionless on the Rich Stadium frozen turf after Bruce just crushed his head on a big blind side sack in the early 90's  Bam that was football.  And Boomer did not even ask to be traded after that.  Imagine that.  Just wanted to put some old school Paup football perspective on stuff Mark 80.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Watson at $40 mill maybe past his prime when rebuild is done or lawerence on a rookie contract. I’d gamble on lawerence and a couple of less wins the next two years.

You may end getting a lot more playoff wins with Lawrence if he pans out than you would with Watson.

So if you are the Texans you are not making this trade because (1) you’re not trading Watson under any circumstances; (2) you’re willing to trade him but not to a team in your division; and (3) no matter how much potential QB has, you’re not trading a franchise QB for a potential franchise QB.

if you’re the Jags, (1) you’re not going to take on a big contract when you can have a potential franchise QB on a rookie deal; (2) you stink and you need a multi-year rebuilding plan and it makes more sense to grow with the rookie and build your team around him.

is that about right?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

So if you are the Texans you are not making this trade because (1) you’re not trading Watson under any circumstances; (2) you’re willing to trade him but not to a team in your division; and (3) no matter how much potential QB has, you’re not trading a franchise QB for a potential franchise QB.

if you’re the Jags, (1) you’re not going to take on a big contract when you can have a potential franchise QB on a rookie deal; (2) you stink and you need a multi-year rebuilding plan and it makes more sense to grow with the rookie and build your team around him.

is that about right?

Agreed. The fact the Pats traded Bledsoe to us said what they felt about Drew, who is sadly one of the best qbs we have ever had. 

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I hope Watson stays in Houston.  I really hope he stays out of the AFC East.  I really, really hope he doesn't end up with the Dolphins.  I've seen a lot of speculation about landing places for him but one I haven't seen is Jacksonville.  Wouldn't a Watson for Jags' No. 1 pick (Lawrence) make a decent amount of sense for both sides?  Houston trades a disgruntled franchise QB for a potential franchise QB, gets some cap relief and can time a rebuild around their new guy.  JAX trades a potential franchise QB for an honest to God franchise QB knowing that sure things aren't always so sure (Goff, Wentz, Darnold, etc., etc.).  JAX has the cap room to take on Watson's contract.  If that's a stumbling block maybe they throw in a cap dump (as seen in NHL trades).  Only reason not to do this is that JAX doesn't want to take on the contract but wouldn't you want to accelerate the timetable to start winning games and make your fanbase (such as it is) happy?  

I would do that trade in a heartbeat if I were either team. 

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

There's not a chance in hell Jacksonville trades the #1 pick for Watson.

Why would you say that?  I mean, it's probably not going to happen, but it's an interesting idea and it seems no less likely than Watson going to Miami or the Jets.  If I'm Houston, I want something more than the first overall pick, but I can definitely see how this is an intriguing idea for both sides.

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The fact that this is inside the Division is what makes this highly unlikely. No front office wants to be publicly embarrassed twice a year by having this trade thrown in their face...on either side.

That's a good point.  I forgot they are in the same division.  I think the same conference stuff is overrated, but same division is a whole different ball game.

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I think you people are crazy.  If I'm Houston I want more than Lawrence for him.  Watson is a bona fide, proven top 5 NFL QB.  Lawrence is a great college player who hasn't played a down in the NFL.  Speculate all you want about his future, Watson is a sure thing though.

This is the correct answer ...young proven commodity franchise QB better than rookie. It will take multiple #1 draft picks to get him. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Why would you say that?  I mean, it's probably not going to happen, but it's an interesting idea and it seems no less likely than Watson going to Miami or the Jets.  If I'm Houston, I want something more than the first overall pick, but I can definitely see how this is an intriguing idea for both sides.

That's a good point.  I forgot they are in the same division.  I think the same conference stuff is overrated, but same division is a whole different ball game.

Urban Meyer came out of retirement specifically to coach Lawrence and there's just no chance Jacksonville passes on what's viewed by many as the best prospect to come along since at least Andrew Luck if not John Elway on a rookie contract. And that's before you get into the intra-division aspect and the fact that Wilson would never go to Jacksonville.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Urban Meyer came out of retirement specifically to coach Lawrence and there's just no chance Jacksonville passes on what's viewed by many as the best prospect to come along since at least Andrew Luck if not John Elway on a rookie contract. And that's before you get into the intra-division aspect and the fact that Wilson would never go to Jacksonville.

True, Wilson's not going to Jacksonville unless he and Urban have some sort of relationship.  And I forgot about the interdivisional aspect of the trade.  You might also be right about Meyer wanting to coach Lawrence, but I'd take Watson over Lawrence 10 times out of 10. 

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It’s laughable that this is even a topic. Lawrence to Jax is a virtual lock. 

I'm not sure this is laughable at all.  Jax has some decent WR's, and if the #1 is all it takes, then yeah, I do it in an instant if I'm Jax.  A proven Watson over a questionmark.  Watson every time.  I'd even trade next years #1 as well.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelsayrundefense said:

If he pans out.  Which he should but there is a great value in having a sure thing at the QB position.

No doubt... if you’re the Texans though and you truly believe that Lawrence can become a big-time big-game winner, you make that trade. I don’t see that quality in Watson.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Watson has a no trade clause.  I doubt he'd agree to go to the NFL's worst team.  He was pretty upset he was on a 4win team last year, so why would he agree to go to a 1 win team?  

Watson's $alary went up meaning team had less money for players making up rest of team and the had B👁️‍🗨️B in charge who gave him that contract. 

So what do he think was going to happen?