What About Watson for Jag's No. 1 Pick?

I hope Watson stays in Houston.  I really hope he stays out of the AFC East.  I really, really hope he doesn't end up with the Dolphins.  I've seen a lot of speculation about landing places for him but one I haven't seen is Jacksonville.  Wouldn't a Watson for Jags' No. 1 pick (Lawrence) make a decent amount of sense for both sides?  Houston trades a disgruntled franchise QB for a potential franchise QB, gets some cap relief and can time a rebuild around their new guy.  JAX trades a potential franchise QB for an honest to God franchise QB knowing that sure things aren't always so sure (Goff, Wentz, Darnold, etc., etc.).  JAX has the cap room to take on Watson's contract.  If that's a stumbling block maybe they throw in a cap dump (as seen in NHL trades).  Only reason not to do this is that JAX doesn't want to take on the contract but wouldn't you want to accelerate the timetable to start winning games and make your fanbase (such as it is) happy?  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Don't think it will happen but its not a bad idea. Watson is a young proven commodity.  Nobody knows if Lawrence eventually be a star. 

But the conventional wisdom is he is a great prospect that they will have on a cheap contract for several years.  If they are wrong they have screwed themselves for another four years.

• Like (+1) 1

Why on earth would Houston want to face Watson twice a year for the next decade? 
Imagine they David carr poor Lawrence and then have to get smoked by Watson for the foreseeable future. Might as well send the Texans to the XFL. 
That would be like extending Allen then trading him to New England for a #1 cause he was unhappy. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why on earth would Houston want to face Watson twice a year for the next decade? 
Imagine they David carr poor Lawrence and then have to get smoked by Watson for the foreseeable future. Might as well send the Texans to the XFL. 
That would be like extending Allen then trading him to New England for a #1 cause he was unhappy. 

I agree that the fact that they are both in the same division makes this a non-starter but if they weren't in the same division and Houston decided it was going to move on from Watson, it's an interesting thought exercise.

I think it would be smart talent/experience wise. Lawrence has has not proved he can play in the NFL (obviously), but of course we all expect he can. Rookie QBs can take time and Deshaun is ready now, which will get Urban where he wants to be quicker.

Houston would get a QB that doesn't hate them. 

The cons I see, well everyone wants the QB on a cheap rookie deal and the Jags would miss out on that.

Also the Texans would be trading him to  a division rival. 

So a few hurdles but I don't think it's outlandish or unreasonable. 

33 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I hope Watson stays in Houston.  I really hope he stays out of the AFC East.  I really, really hope he doesn't end up with the Dolphins.  I've seen a lot of speculation about landing places for him but one I haven't seen is Jacksonville.  Wouldn't a Watson for Jags' No. 1 pick (Lawrence) make a decent amount of sense for both sides?  Houston trades a disgruntled franchise QB for a potential franchise QB, gets some cap relief and can time a rebuild around their new guy.  JAX trades a potential franchise QB for an honest to God franchise QB knowing that sure things aren't always so sure (Goff, Wentz, Darnold, etc., etc.).  JAX has the cap room to take on Watson's contract.  If that's a stumbling block maybe they throw in a cap dump (as seen in NHL trades).  Only reason not to do this is that JAX doesn't want to take on the contract but wouldn't you want to accelerate the timetable to start winning games and make your fanbase (such as it is) happy?  

The cap hit is a primary reason to argue the rookie qb shows you are trying to harder to win right now as opposed to trading for the highly paid vet. With a rookie qb contract they can stack the roster around him essentially accelerating the time table to win already irregardless of the rookie qb needing a learning curve potentially. Plus, we are talking about a qb touted as the best qb prospect since Peyton Manning a guy you can sell as someone who they can build around for years and years. 

Really this trade would be way more of a win for the Texans than the Jaguars I just don't see any sane way that it would make sense for both sides regardless of Watson's talent. 

I think you people are crazy.  If I'm Houston I want more than Lawrence for him.  Watson is a bona fide, proven top 5 NFL QB.  Lawrence is a great college player who hasn't played a down in the NFL.  Speculate all you want about his future, Watson is a sure thing though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Probably the fairest trade I could think of, but I highly doubt Jacksonville would do it.  

The Jets would trade the #2 pick in a second, but the drop off from Lawrence to everyone else, as a prospect, is Grand Canyon sized (unless your name is Chris Simms).  Houston would need much, much more than that pick for Watson.

Edited by SCBills

I don't think the Jags view themselves as a stud QB away from contending. They are 2-3 years away and I see them building with Lawrence who fits their timeline. Watson as great as he is, isn't going to win with the Jags sad sack roster. Even with their cap space (which would be lessened after such a trade) and remaining draft assets they wouldn't be able to build enough of a roster to get Watson ready to contend in the next year and possibly the year after. 

Whereas with Lawrence you don't have to contend right away. You can sign and draft a lot of offensive talent around him and then build the defense and other aspects of the roster up the next two seasons. I think the Texans would love to get a young stud QB to start a three year rebuild but this type of trade just doesn't line up for the Jags. 

If the Texans want draft compensation I think their best bet is to either trade with Miami who could offer picks 3, 18, 35, 81 and their first, third and fifth in 2022. Or trade with the Jets who could offer picks 2, 23, 66 and a pair of first round picks in 2022 (their own plus Seattle's). Personally I hope that Watson doesn't go to the AFC East as I think the Fins would be contenders if they added Watson and the Jets while likely still a year away if they add Watson their long term prospects would be greatly improved.

I don't know where in the NFC has the draft capital to pursue Watson. The Bears apparently are willing to give up multiple drafts worth of picks but the immediate return for the Texans would be pick 20 and a pick in the 50's. There aren't too many other teams with high end draft capital like the Fins or Jets. Maybe if the Raiders can get a 1st and some other capital for Carr they can push themselves into the mix?