Overtime Rule Change Proposal

On 3/4/2021 at 6:15 AM, Buffalo03 said:

Keep it how it is now bit go back to 15:00 OT quarters. The 10:00 quarters are crappy. It leads to more ties

I agree.  I’m sure it was just part of negotiations but I don’t see how the reduction of 5 mins made a difference for player safety.  Since they reduced it to 10 mins, in the games I saw, even if the first team doesn’t score, but they moved the ball some, they usually used up 6 or 7 mins.  Then the other team had 3 to 4 mins left and you get into risk vs reward.  A conservative coach may just play for the tie rather than take a risk that backfires and loses the game.

I’ve always felt that both teams should get one possession, regardless of what happens on the 1st possession.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I find college OT rules to be gimmicky and not really reflective of the game. I don’t see the major issue with the current NFL OT rules. I think they maybe can find a better way to decide who gets the ball first but that’s my only gripe.

The coin toss still favors the team that gets the ball even if they just play a 10 minute quarter as it effectively gets an extra possession to the team that won the toss. But I am not sure what you can do to make the game more fair in that regard. 

I find the golden TD rule in the regular season to be just fine. But I do think in the playoffs they should just play the full 10 minutes and then go to a standard OT format.

I agree and there is not much you can do.  I think the NFL should tie the OT coin toss into the coin toss to start the game.  The choices become:

1) Winning team can receive the 1st kick off in the game and in OT.

2) Winning team can defer and choose what they want after halftime, but then the other team gets to decide the opening kickoff and OT.

3) Winning team can choose a direction - allowing the other team to choose to receive or kickoff to start the game and in OT.

I believe this would change many teams approach from deferring to receiving the kick off to start the game - so that in the event of OT - they get the ball.  It would also then play into the end of game decisions to some degree as teams already know the kick off situation for OT.

Edited by Rochesterfan

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You do realize that the NFL has basically been changing the rules non-stop for decades to prevent teams from just trying to play for low score ties?

There is definitely an optical difference between a soccer team trying to play keep-away to preserve a tie and an NFL team taking two knees at their own 35 yard line with a minute left in the game to secure a tie.      

By eliminating sudden death overtime and shortening the overtime period to 10 minutes?  Both of those rule changes increase the likelihood of ties.

I don't like ties, either, but I also don't like arbitrary rule changes that alter the game (college OT, picking a yard line at the coin toss, etc).  The basic flow is a kickoff followed by a drive down the field, with punts and turnovers in between that change possession.  Eliminating any of those changes the nature of the previous 60 minutes of competition.

If the NFL rewarded wins with '3' points and ties with '1', in a points-based standing system similar to the NHL, I suspect you will see teams play hard to win as opposed to tie should overtime be eliminated and regulation solely determines the winner.

6 hours ago, ColeB said:

I agree.  I’m sure it was just part of negotiations but I don’t see how the reduction of 5 mins made a difference for player safety.  Since they reduced it to 10 mins, in the games I saw, even if the first team doesn’t score, but they moved the ball some, they usually used up 6 or 7 mins.  Then the other team had 3 to 4 mins left and you get into risk vs reward.  A conservative coach may just play for the tie rather than take a risk that backfires and loses the game.

I’ve always felt that both teams should get one possession, regardless of what happens on the 1st possession.

Agree with all of this. I've usually seen the same thing, the first time eats 7 minutes on the first drive only to get nothing out of the drive and then the other team has 2 to 3 minutes to try to get into field goal range or score a TD. The weird paer is, the 10:00 minute OT is only for regular season, it goes back to 15:00 in the playoffs

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

By eliminating sudden death overtime and shortening the overtime period to 10 minutes?  Both of those rule changes increase the likelihood of ties.

I don't like ties, either, but I also don't like arbitrary rule changes that alter the game (college OT, picking a yard line at the coin toss, etc).  The basic flow is a kickoff followed by a drive down the field, with punts and turnovers in between that change possession.  Eliminating any of those changes the nature of the previous 60 minutes of competition.

If the NFL rewarded wins with '3' points and ties with '1', in a points-based standing system similar to the NHL, I suspect you will see teams play hard to win as opposed to tie should overtime be eliminated and regulation solely determines the winner.

GTFOH with a points system.😆

Only 9 games the past two seasons ended in regulation ties..........they don't need to change the ranking system for that paltry amount.

14 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree and there is not much you can do.  I think the NFL should tie the OT coin toss into the coin toss to start the game.  The choices become:

1) Winning team can receive the 1st kick off in the game and in OT.

2) Winning team can defer and choose what they want after halftime, but then the other team gets to decide the opening kickoff and OT.

3) Winning team can choose a direction - allowing the other team to choose to receive or kickoff to start the game and in OT.

I believe this would change many teams approach from deferring to receiving the kick off to start the game - so that in the event of OT - they get the ball.  It would also then play into the end of game decisions to some degree as teams already know the kick off situation for OT.

I think that would just result in teams taking the ball to start every game. I think there just has to be a level of chance to it with a second coin toss. At least opening drive field goals don’t end games anymore which is a substantial improvement. 

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think that would just result in teams taking the ball to start every game. I think there just has to be a level of chance to it with a second coin toss. At least opening drive field goals don’t end games anymore which is a substantial improvement. 

I agree, but at the end of the game teams would already know who is getting the ball first in OT.  If I knew the other team was getting the ball first and I am driving for a tying FG - does a team get more aggressive to try and score a TD?  

It also eliminates them having to do a second coin toss and make another random decision.  It makes one coin toss per game and changes coaches current thinking process - which has been defer in the majority of cases.

I am not saying it fixes many or all of the issues - I think it is just a change that should happen and is better than screwing with things like  eliminating the kickoff and deciding a starting position or going to the college OT rules (even modified for the NFL - like starting at mid field or something).  

I have no issue with the current rules, but there is a lot of complaints about the arbitrary nature of the coin toss and that impacting the outcome.  I think if you remove the coin toss in favor of the initial coin toss - now that becomes a part of team’s strategy from the beginning.