Overtime Rule Change Proposal

4 hours ago, mattynh said:

Anyone listen to OBL yesterday, Brown and Tasker could not understand this proposal, it was comical.

Look.  "I get it."  Tasker got hit in the head a lot.  What's Brown's excuse.

7 hours ago, mattynh said:

Anyone listen to OBL yesterday, Brown and Tasker could not understand this proposal, it was comical.

To be fair - this is one of the most idiotic and mind bendingly stupid proposals ever made.  A team gets to choose ball and the other team chooses the starting position.  Why - to what end and why are we again screwing with kickoffs.  Just absolutely mental.  

Their other rule change about an extra “sky official” is much more palatable.  It sounds like what the NFL was planning before the preseason went away last year.  To be fair - to all the “fans” that want to eliminate preseason- this is reason #1 to keep a minimum of 2 games - even as we add 17 and 18.  You need a place to test rule changes in a live environment.  The early season injuries is reason 2.  The poor defensive play in the first 6-8 weeks is reason #3.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't know why you all hate ties so much. How many games go to overtime over the course of a season? 15? 20? Just call them ties and be done with it. In the playoffs I'd insist each team possess the ball once and if it remains tied after that then sudden death. 

I assume you are a soccer fan with awful take😜. I don't hate ties but would prefer a victor in a close game, in soccer I hate a 1-1 tie where both teams stop attacking for the last 15 minutes to ensure their point and would hate to see football do that.

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

I assume you are a soccer fan with awful take😜. I don't hate ties but would prefer a victor in a close game, in soccer I hate a 1-1 tie where both teams stop attacking for the last 15 minutes to ensure their point and would hate to see football do that.

The horrible take is people who think every game must result in a victor. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The horrible take is people who think every game must result in a victor. 

The point of competition is to determine a winner...........if that isn't the point of the game then it's not true competition.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The point of competition is to determine a winner...........if that isn't the point of the game then it's not true competition.

Of course it is. You compete for 60 minutes and tie it doesn't mean the 60 minutes wasn't a competition.

There is no need for overtime in the regular season. Scrap it. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this.  It will make the last two minutes of the fourth quarter in a tight game a lot more interesting - do you play for the tie or for the win?

Week 17 ties would add a lot more drama to playoff races as well, with that scenario being significantly more likely to happen.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course it is. You compete for 60 minutes and tie it doesn't mean the 60 minutes wasn't a competition.

Simply put there is no way that a football game..........with all of its plays and complexities and different ways to score..........should end in a tie.

One team was always better than the other or got more bounces etc..........there should always be a victor.   

You haven't even offered a supporting argument.........which should be your first clue that it's just ingrained in you for no good reason.

There is one reason for ties in sport..........fatigue.   

Just as it makes cowards of everyone...........it makes the need to determine a victor irrelevant.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Simply put there is no way that a football game..........with all of its plays and complexities and different ways to score..........should end in a tie.

One team was always better than the other or got more bounces etc..........there should always be a victor.   

You haven't even offered a supporting argument.........which should be your first clue that it's just ingrained in you for no good reason.

There is one reason for ties in sport..........fatigue.   

Just as it makes cowards of everyone...........it makes the need to determine a victor irrelevant.

My supporting argument is that the game is 60 minutes long. I think your position is equally ingrained and nonsensical.

34 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I agree with this.  It will make the last two minutes of the fourth quarter in a tight game a lot more interesting - do you play for the tie or for the win?

Week 17 ties would add a lot more drama to playoff races as well, with that scenario being significantly more likely to happen.

You do realize that the NFL has basically been changing the rules non-stop for decades to prevent teams from just trying to play for low score ties?

There is definitely an optical difference between a soccer team trying to play keep-away to preserve a tie and an NFL team taking two knees at their own 35 yard line with a minute left in the game to secure a tie.      

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My supporting argument is that the game is 60 minutes long. I think your position is equally ingrained and nonsensical.

As I've said.........the NFL has only made rules changes to prevent such non-competitive football...........that's not changing whether you think it's "bizarre" or "horrible" or not so let it go.    

We think your food is bizarre and nonsensical so just call it even.

If you get caught playing for the tie in this country you are worse than a loser.........you are first loser.

Ask Pat Dye.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/4/2021 at 6:04 AM, 17islongenough said:

Just go to college rules.  

I find college OT rules to be gimmicky and not really reflective of the game. I don’t see the major issue with the current NFL OT rules. I think they maybe can find a better way to decide who gets the ball first but that’s my only gripe.

10 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Just play an entire extra quarter, if its tied after that then its a tie. First to score favors the team that wins the coin toss a little too much 

The coin toss still favors the team that gets the ball even if they just play a 10 minute quarter as it effectively gets an extra possession to the team that won the toss. But I am not sure what you can do to make the game more fair in that regard. 

I find the golden TD rule in the regular season to be just fine. But I do think in the playoffs they should just play the full 10 minutes and then go to a standard OT format.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't know why you all hate ties so much. How many games go to overtime over the course of a season? 15? 20? Just call them ties and be done with it. In the playoffs I'd insist each team possess the ball once and if it remains tied after that then sudden death. 

Herman Edwards said......

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I've said.........the NFL has only made rules changes to prevent such non-competitive football...........that's not changing whether you think it's "bizarre" or "horrible" or not so let it go.    

We think your food is bizarre and nonsensical so just call it even.

If you get caught playing for the tie in this country you are worse than a loser.........you are first loser.

Ask Pat Dye.  

Yea but you guys are weird.

9 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Herman Edwards said......

Just because you tie doesn't mean you haven't played to win.