Overtime Rule Change Proposal

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/04/ravens-to-propose-revolutionary-spot-and-choose-overtime-procedure/

My guess is that this will not pass, but perhaps it will be like the 4th and 15 rule where it keeps coming back as more teams get frustrated with the current way things are. The rule is laid out in the article above, but basically, this is how it would work.

One team chooses the spot where the ball will begin in OT (i.e. the offense's own 10 yard line). The other team then gets to choose if it wants to take the ball at the 10 or play defense from the 10 and bank on getting a quick stop and getting the ball back around midfield after the punt.

The winner of the coin toss decides if they want to be the team setting the spot or be the team making the call on taking the ball (I imagine teams would always choose the latter).

Edit: Forgot this part: this rule was submitted with two different variations. One being that it's sudden death, so if you take the ball from your own 10 and score, that's the ballgame. The other variation that was submitted (and has the Patriots backing in addition to the Ravens) is that OT is 7.5 minutes long and you just play it out; most points at the end of it wins or it can end in a tie there.

Edited by DCOrange

I don't know why you all hate ties so much. How many games go to overtime over the course of a season? 15? 20? Just call them ties and be done with it. In the playoffs I'd insist each team possess the ball once and if it remains tied after that then sudden death. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know why you all hate ties so much. How many games go to overtime over the course of a season? 15? 20? Just call them ties and be done with it. In the playoffs I'd insist each team possess the ball once and if it remains tied after that then sudden death. 

Go back to eating your crumpets and drinking your warm beer.  This is 'Merica, we don't tie unless it's a hog.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I like my rule better

NEW OT RULES

1. Beginning of over time ball is spotted at the 50.

2. After the toss each team will have as many shots at the end zone or fg as they wish.

3. If they do or don't get a FG or TD the other team takes over at the 50.

So every drive starts at the 50. No matter what. 

This lasts for 10 minutes. Team that is ahead after 10 wins.

IF its a tie after 10 mins., they go for an extended 5 minutes.

If a tie after the extended 5 minutes then the game ends in a tie..

this turns into a cat and mouse strategy game. Depending on the situation does one continue to play up tempo? Keep running the game clock with confidence in defense?

This would be my new rule.

Or play an extra 15 minutes of game... let them duke it out.. after 15 minutes if its a tie its a tie.

Ties are the best. 

They force coaches into interesting logic/strategy in OT that they actually have to think about sometimes.  Seeing them fail can be fun (or excruciating, like McDermott's 2017 Snow Game brain cramp)

Impact on standings is fun

They happen so rarely that they're interesting and unique

Frankly, I miss ties in hockey too, and the changes to OT and adding shootouts didn't really move the needle in that sport either

More gimmicks in football would be unnecessary

• Like (+1) 1

Let each team pick their best fighter. 

The two men then square off at the 50-yard-line in three two minute rounds. 

May the best man (and team) win.

I know who the Bills are picking in this scenario...

l0d9ovlapl021.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ties really are anti-American.   We want decisive results and instant analysis and ties are counterproductive to those endeavors.  You are just used to it because soccer is a sport where you eventually just reach a point where both teams are too exhausted to score.   That's not sport, it's aerobics.   Always hated that about the game.    Hockey has a similar problem.   4 OT playoff games are bullish*t. 

• Disagree 5

Madden has a really fun feature that would make NFL OT must watch. 

Each team gets one drive from their 20. Punting is not allowed. Extra points are not allowed. Highest score wins.

If the score is tied after 2 drives, the ball is placed at the 50. Each team alternates on O for one play. The next play starts where the ball was downed. If one team scores a TD, game over. 

If it comes down to the last play of 8 plays, the winner is determined by the spot of the ball. Imagine the ball is at the Bills 35 and it's the very last play. They have to get the ball past the 50, into their opponents territory to win. High drama.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ties really are anti-American.   We want decisive results and instant analysis and ties are counterproductive to those endeavors.  You are just used to it because soccer is a sport where you eventually just reach a point where both teams are too exhausted to score.   That's not sport, it's aerobics.   Always hated that about the game.    Hockey has a similar problem.   4 OT playoff games are bullish*t. 

I just don't get it. It is bizarre.

My weird idea for overtime is you're not allowed to punt. First team to score wins. But you can't kick a field goal until your 3rd possession. So now the playing field is a bit more even because even if you get the ball first there's a risk you'll give the ball to the other team on a short field.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Just go to college rules.  

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I like my rule better

NEW OT RULES

1. Beginning of over time ball is spotted at the 50.

2. After the toss each team will have as many shots at the end zone or fg as they wish.

3. If they do or don't get a FG or TD the other team takes over at the 50.

So every drive starts at the 50. No matter what. 

This lasts for 10 minutes. Team that is ahead after 10 wins.

IF its a tie after 10 mins., they go for an extended 5 minutes.

If a tie after the extended 5 minutes then the game ends in a tie..

this turns into a cat and mouse strategy game. Depending on the situation does one continue to play up tempo? Keep running the game clock with confidence in defense?

This would be my new rule.

Or play an extra 15 minutes of game... let them duke it out.. after 15 minutes if its a tie its a tie.

57 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Madden has a really fun feature that would make NFL OT must watch. 

Each team gets one drive from their 20. Punting is not allowed. Extra points are not allowed. Highest score wins.

If the score is tied after 2 drives, the ball is placed at the 50. Each team alternates on O for one play. The next play starts where the ball was downed. If one team scores a TD, game over. 

If it comes down to the last play of 8 plays, the winner is determined by the spot of the ball. Imagine the ball is at the Bills 35 and it's the very last play. They have to get the ball past the 50, into their opponents territory to win. High drama.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My weird idea for overtime is you're not allowed to punt. First team to score wins. But you can't kick a field goal until your 3rd possession. So now the playing field is a bit more even because even if you get the ball first there's a risk you'll give the ball to the other team on a short field.

I hate any OT proposal that removes special teams and the field position battle from the game.  There should be a difference between going 3-and-out versus moving the ball a decent ways down the field and still having to punt.  Likewise, there should be a difference between the QB fumbling when he gets sacked vs. throwing a pick on a 40-yard bomb (arm punt).  Turning football into a binary succeed/fail option (or tri-nary if it's TD/FG/fail) is much less interesting to me than traditional football, where every yard matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1