WFT going from cheerleaders to a coed dance team

Greg S

19 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

We old timers will recall the year when the Jills had Buffalo Jack. I think it was only for one season, but it was too long ago to be certain. Poor guy took a ton of abuse from us obnoxious fans in the end zone. Different time/different attitudes, for sure.

I am curious to see how Eagles fans will react to this. Didn't they boo and throw snowballs at Santa years ago.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't see why they need cheerleaders at all for a focus on "good old fashion violent sport"

I agree. At the high-school and college levels, fine, keep the cheerleaders. (And coed cheerleading squads aren't really all that new - some colleges have been doing it for many years.) But at the pro level, there's no point. They add nothing to the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WhoTom said:

I agree. At the high-school and college levels, fine, keep the cheerleaders. (And coed cheerleading squads aren't really all that new - some colleges have been doing it for many years.) But at the pro level, there's no point. They add nothing to the game.

How long has it been since the Jills were around? I don't see or hear anyone saying they want them back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I agree. 

I'd only add that cheerleaders are traditionally the community ambassadors for the team and that NFL cheerleading is a pinnacle of excellence in the dance profession, even to a higher degree than being in music videos and being selected as a dancer for musician tours.    It's an industry in itself.  

To be selected for an NFL cheerleading spot, not only are you likely an excellent athlete but you also dance professionally.  You can't sweat or look like you are huffing and puffing through routines.   

Teams have gotten away from squads that consist mostly of models because there's no guarantee they are going to be able to execute the more complex choreography.  Models can look pretty but be completely out of shape.  Dancers have dancer bodies and they are trained to dance.

• Like (+1) 2

I am totally fine with removing all non-football related entertainment from gameday experiences.

When a game is playing, I only care about the game. I don't care about cheerleaders or dance crews, drum lines, etc.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is more likely the idea of what they have in mind

People like watching that? Good for them, I guess. I feel the same way about cheerleaders, honestly.

Don’t know why pro teams don’t have marching bands from the local high schools or colleges perform at halftime. Pick the high schools in the spring so they have a ton of time to practice and give them each $25K toward arts/music and athletics programs. Win win for all parties involved.

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

It's usually a marketing tool honestly. The girls get paid low wages but it was a way to get your name/face/talent out there, no other reason to do it for what they were paid. 

Is not a positive in marketing anymore so that's a bust and the girls complain about the wages.

So I would agree at this point it's a dead issue. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Is Stefon Diggs going to join the dance squad? Now that I WOULD watch. 

It should be a dance off between Diggs & Tre White. Now that alone would be worth the price of admission.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is more likely the idea of what they have in mind

I don't see why they need cheerleaders at all for a focus on "good old fashion violent sport"

Phew!  This makes me feel better.  Couldn't live without this at an NFL game.  Total damage control.   Hi my name is Daniel Snyder, and because I'm a jerk, I give you this to make you think I'm not a jerk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I always thought the Raiders cheerleaders were the hottest.  Sexy with lots of T & A, and some edginess prancing around the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum!!

Now that is a beautiful sight in my mind.  I don't care what era we are now supposedly in!!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Don’t know why pro teams don’t have marching bands from the local high schools or colleges perform at halftime. Pick the high schools in the spring so they have a ton of time to practice and give them each $25K toward arts/music and athletics programs. Win win for all parties involved.

I saw the Ohio State band at Wembley a few years ago. One of the most enjoyable moments of the entire day. I adore this idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

"The Buffalo Bills, in conjunction with Shea's Buffalo, The Spirit of Youth, and Wegman's bring you a spectacular cultural event-filled Sunday starting at 9AM!! See local stars, taste exotic treats, hear the singing, see the dance, get your blood pressure checked, take a nap or talk business in your suite!! (Note: Game at 1pm may interfere with scheduled activities.)