If / when it happens — the formula for the 17th game. If it’s this season, the Bills would play WFT.

Who are the Bills playing in 17th game of 2021 NFL season?

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/03/who-are-the-bills-playing-in-17th-game-of-2021-nfl-season.html

The league and the NFL Players Association came up with a formula last year to determine opponents after the players approved the change in the latest Collective Bargaining Agreement. In the 17th game teams will play a cross-conference opponent from the division they played two seasons prior. The matchups will be determined by the previous season’s final standings.

The Bills played the NFC East in 2019 and finished first in the AFC East in 2020. That means they’ll face the NFC East-winning Washington Football Team in the 17th game. AFC teams will host the extra game in 2021 and the NFC will host the games in 2022, and the conferences will flip flop every season after that.

edit.  Yes it’s Washington.  I posted the thread title that was in question form

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

• SlimShady'sSpaceForce changed the title to If it happens — Who are the Bills playing in 17th game of 2021 NFL season?

The only part that doesn't completely make sense to me was I thought long term the plan was the 17th game was to be on a neutral site.  So by 2022 wouldn't they be ready for the neutral site concept?  Hard to imagine there are enough neutral sites, counties interested in hosting a game though.  Or maybe the Bills will be playing some NFC team in the Vietnam Bowl or something for lack of places interested.

I like the neutral sites being held in states that don't have an NFL franchise states like ND, SD, Wyoming, Nebraska, Oklahoma, places like that, that have NFL fans but no home team. I think that would be cooler then having games overseas for neutral site games....America First!!!

I just thought of something that would make it interesting if they aren't going to use a neutral site field for the games....Have the Superbowl or Pro Bowl winning conference as the host conference for the next years games. That would give them something to play for...an extra home game!!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

I like the neutral sites being held in states that don't have an NFL franchise states like ND, SD, Wyoming, Nebraska, Oklahoma, places like that, that have NFL fans but no home team. I think that would be cooler then having games overseas for neutral site games....America First!!!

I just thought of something that would make it interesting if they aren't going to use a neutral site field for the games....Have the Superbowl or Pro Bowl winning conference as the host conference for the next years games. That would give them something to play for...an extra home game!!  

Do you not understand how money works?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, wagne591 said:

The NFL has a criteria for stadiums where games can be played and most college stadiums do not fit those. As someone else said its a out money and the NFL isn't going to play a game in  Laramie Wyoming. 

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The only part that doesn't completely make sense to me was I thought long term the plan was the 17th game was to be on a neutral site.  So by 2022 wouldn't they be ready for the neutral site concept?  Hard to imagine there are enough neutral sites, counties interested in hosting a game though.  Or maybe the Bills will be playing some NFC team in the Vietnam Bowl or something for lack of places interested.

Ed, I know that idea was floated on multiple outlets prior to the pandemic, so maybe that factored into the conversation.  I honestly don’t know as it pertains to the site.  WFT is an improving team, and they have lots of $ in the off season, so not a walk in the park.  Having it in Buffalo is great.  

Thanks for sharing Shady.  I would think the ratification of the 17th game is probably a formality.  What’s interesting is how many if any pre-season games there will be.  I’ve heard 3, but might just be a negotiating please to eventually get the 18th game and they go down to 1-2 pre-season, or maybe none.   The league will get a lot more $ for regular season games so this should be interesting.

10 hours ago, fridge said:

Do you not understand how money works?

Hmmm..., let's see. 

NFL salary cap is about 50% of total revenues. So total NFL revenues were about $360 million per team in a year where few, if any fans attended games. 

Money from stadium attendance is a drop in the bucket compared to TV and seat licenses. And consider hassle of flying to Germany or England, and playing a game in Oklahoma or Alabama seems like a pretty good idea to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

• SlimShady'sSpaceForce changed the title to If / when it happens — the formula for the 17th game. If it’s this season, the Bills would play WFT.
3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Either keep it 16 games or make it 18. Having an odd number of games is just stupid and unfair considering half the league will have one more or one less home games per season. That could be a big deal come playoff time.

The owners want 18 games, but they will settle for 17 since they also got 2 extra teams in the playoffs.

The NFLPA is not thrilled with the thought of 18 games even if the preseason is cut in half.

Both sides will be content for now, then the owners will start demanding 18 games in a couple years.

• Like (+1) 1