Eagles submit rules change to onside kick

Honestly, it has gotten silly recently, but since the kicking team can't get a running start, I would like to see an onside kick rule change  wherein THE RECEIVING TEAM CAN'T JUMP THE TEN YARDS.  

If your feet are just past the ten yards, then fine for you to jump or hope on the ball when it gets close.

Caveat:  you can go past the 10 yards mark if you are blocking, but you cannot go after the ball.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

And Zebras are too lenient on some teams and not others.

If you want to make it really interesting, make it where there are no defensive penalties called after the snap on that 4th and 15th play. Make teams really earn that first down!

(I specified after the snap because you can’t allow teams to jump Offside, but just imagine jumping up to catch a 20 yard pass knowing you can be held or hit before it gets there. Now that could be fun)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If you want to make it really interesting, make it where there are no defensive penalties called after the snap on that 4th and 15th play. Make teams really earn that first down!

You need SOME penalties. I know not all DCs will be like Gregg Williams and have players deliberately hurt people but some players play dirty already and this will give them license to maim.   Unnecessary roughness is necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You need SOME penalties. I know not all DCs will be like Gregg Williams and have players deliberately hurt people but some players play dirty already and this will give them license to maim.   Unnecessary roughness is necessary.

Ok, fair enough. Blatant unnecessary roughness can be called.  The problem is, the more penalties you add to the mix, the more chances you are granting for a potential “free” first down. By the way, this is largely for entertainment purposes only, I doubt the NFL would officiate that play any differently. 

I don't hate the idea of trying to make an onsides kick possible as I think the new kickoff rules have made a rare but possible chance to get the ball back under the new kick off rules has become very very rare to the point where it is nearly impossible. I am not sure if a 4th and 15 or 4th and X yards to go conversion is the solution either. I used to be in favor of a 4th and 20 conversion but I think a better compromise would be to change the kickoff rules for the last 5 minutes of a game. Allowing the old kickoff rules for 5 minutes would take the current .5% conversion rates no onside kicks and kick it back up to the 4-5% rate that it used to be. With that rate you at least have a chance to get the ball back.

I can't imagine the feeling of losing a game because the 4th and 15, you get a bogus PI or roughing the passer.

It should be a low percentage play so I think they should just go to the old format....stop overcomplicating this game.

Or we could put a garbage can out there and if the kicker can onside it inside it....you get the ball!

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would be great for Bills even though our kicker can also execute an onside kick 

Only thing that forever will give me pause on this scenario is the NFL Referees.  I can just see a ticky tack or ghost PI call changing the game there, they already do it enough already 

This really reminds me of the "runner on second at the start of the inning" in extra innings rule in baseball. Arbitrary and weird.

Of course a bad team is the one suggesting this. How about first they fix that horrible rule where fumbling out of bounds in the endzone results in a touchback for the other team.

22 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I don't like the idea.  I think onside kicks should be difficult and converting them a rare occurrence.  I want to see the better team win the game, not allow for more ways for lesser teams to upset them.  My .02 anyway

allow the time outs to carry over fora full game. Each team has %6 time outs and north 2 min warnings.

allow them to do full onside kicks without any restrictions on formations or the kick off run up...like how it was before. Injuries didn’t occur on onside kicks.

im fine with the 4th and long play option from their own 30.

thryshoukd follow college rules late. Clock stops after end of play, thrn restarts ehrnref whistles. Thus allows them to set the sticks after first downs.

I don't think I'm a big fan of the 4th and 15 idea. How's that fair to a defense? Maybe the opponent marches down and scores on a 12 play 80 yard drive and then they get the ball right back for the 4th & 15 try? There's gotta be a better idea out there. I'd look at altering the onside kick, I dunno, like maybe the kicking team is allowed one or two gunners to take off as soon as the kicker starts moving, like how kickoffs used to work. 

On 3/4/2021 at 8:32 AM, Doc said:

If safety is the concern with the old rules, just keep the onside kick the way it is now.  There's no rule that says you have to have a certain percentage chance of recovering it.  Do a better job during the first 58 or so minutes of a game.

Yep, the NFL should avoid basketballs 'fouling in the last 2 min of the game' situation. 

On 3/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Would be great for Bills even though our kicker can also execute an onside kick 

I propose eschewing the kick, forget the 4th and 15, let’s just saddle up with a Qb toss.  

If it goes out of the stadium, first down at opponent 45.  

Upper deck, you take the L but get a congratulatory pin.  

Lower bowl the other team’s Qb gets to throw a football at your Speedo spot.  

We need to be entertained. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, NewEra said:

Awful rule.  If they were to give the option of an offensive play, I feel it should be 4th and 25 at least, if not more.

or, split the difference and make it a 4th and 20.

”This crucial 4th and 20 is brought to you by MedMen.   Remember MedMen, for all your medical marijuana needs”.