Eagles submit rules change to onside kick

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Didnt they bring up the same idea last year?  I think its stupid.   While picking up a 4th and 15 is rare, its more likely to happen than something like an onside kick.  In my opinion, if a team needs a miracle to win a game despite losing for 59 minutes, you dont change rules to make them more likely to have a chance.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Seems like a totally arbitrary rule suggestion. The reason why an onside kick works is because it is not a change at all. A kick-off is a live ball, no matter where it lands on the playing field.  Suddenly turning this into some odd 4th and 15 play seems nonsensical.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Seems like a totally arbitrary rule suggestion. The reason why an onside kick works is because it is not a change at all. A kick-off is a live ball, no matter where it lands on the playing field.  Suddenly turning this into some odd 4th and 15 play seems nonsensical.

If anything go back to the old rules for onside kick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Before the rule changes, the onside kick was an exciting play and historically was recovered by the kicking team 13% of the time. There was actually a season where 21% of those kicks were recovered! With the rule changes that number has plummeted to just over 5%, one recovery per every 20 attempts. 4th and 15s are converted at an average of 16%, so changing the rule would bring excitement back into the game, but also somewhat punish the team with the lead since it’s far more likely they’d pick up a 4th and 15 than recover an onside kick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

31 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Didnt they bring up the same idea last year?  I think its stupid.   While picking up a 4th and 15 is rare, its more likely to happen than something like an onside kick.  In my opinion, if a team needs a miracle to win a game despite losing for 59 minutes, you dont change rules to make them more likely to have a chance.

And just think about how often teams will get the benefit of a bs pass interference call as well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m in favor of a change, but it’s not as simple as 4th and 15 boom. 
As mentioned pass interference is going to be HUGE in that situation. They would 100% have to add in a review for any and all calls in that one specific instance. In a time where fans question if the fix is in quite a bit and blame officiating it’s probably bad for the game to narrow so many games down to the refs. 
I think it’s best to go to the old onside kick rules and try and eliminate ref whistles deciding games as much as possible 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

And just think about how often teams will get the benefit of a bs pass interference call as well.  

This would be the bigger issue for me. Nobody will be running on 4th and 15. What happens when a ticky-tack PI call is made within a couple of yards of the line of scrimmage? The offense gets an automatic first down which eliminates the intent of a difficult conversion. Stupid rule proposed by a stupid organization.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no issue with the current rule.  I think about a 0-5% rate is just about right.

If you go the the offensive play - make it 4th and 25 and they have to get to their 40 - so the LOS is the 15.  Huge penalty if they fail. And the reward is you still need to move the ball to score.  I would also limit this option to 1 attempt per game.  

9 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

If they want to avoid the running start, but make it easier to recover, make it a live ball after 5 yards, not 10. 

I Hate this because you would greatly increase the number of collisions and potential helmet to helmet as people are diving and both teams are running for the ball.  

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just don't like this rule. How about a 100 yard dash. Get your fastest guy up. Winner gets the ball on their own 20.

Rock paper scissors?  I will leave out lizard and Spock since the zebras would #*¥! that up.