Gabe Jackson to be released

For people wanting to move Feliciano to center and save $ from Morse.... what do you think he could fetch in a trade? He's expensive and his brain is one hit from applesauce, but he's a good player. I'm guessing maybe a 4th or 5th? 

I guess that pick isn't swaying my opinion on what to do with him, but if you decide too expensive then the picks make it hurt less

The way to the Super Bowl for the Bills revolves around being able to knock off the Chiefs.

Neutralize Chris Jones? Sign Gabe Jackson, problem solved.

Now find someone to cover or slowdown Kelce and Hill.

Edited by Bag of Milk

7 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

more cuts coming, market glut a coming to match the cap cut...including our own guys...the stars will get paid but as far as the lunch pail guys they may have to wait and sweat it out...

Agreed. I think FA will be really slow process as guys try to wait out deals that may never come

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Wouldn't we be better off getting a better tackle?

Depends on the money and the other knock-on effects.

If you upgrade your guard and you then can't sign Milano and Daryl Williams and you replace them poorly, you might easily weaken the team overall.

It's a complex system. Every move has knock-on effect that aren't direct results of each move but nonetheless follow as a consequence.

Beane is very aware of this, of course, but he didn't know the major cap drop was coming.

The teams that are best set up to handle this are the ones with a lot of cap space. Including the Patriots.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

You’d think they’d learn something from the Morse experience 

If they did learn something from the Morse experience, it was probably that they'd gotten an excellent player at an undervalued but highly important position. 

But that at that point when we switched to a different blocking scheme, going to a more power-oriented straight-ahead scheme over the pulling we'd been using before, that that had taken an excellent pickup and made the guy a poorer fit in the new plan.

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure GB.  I was so impressed how Williams handled on his own with little help TJ Watt.  If we can find a way to restructure, reduce, etc. I would want to extend him.

I guess this is the new normal we discuss every release.  Seems to be an excellent Guard.  Not sure we could afford him.  These releases continues to remind me how much teams like the Jags, Jets, Pats, Colts, Broncos, and WFT are going to be able to do a makeover like we haven’t seen pretty much ever.  At least with several of these teams, they don’t have a quality QB.  If somehow Reich can resurrect Wentz, that is a team to be concerned for 2021.  They are a very complete team so it will depend on Wentz.  They certainly have the cash to make a couple of targeted improvements on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well if you sign Gabe you are not retaining Mongo. So it makes no difference to Ford. Gabe plays one G spot and Ford and Ike compete for the other one.

Or Morse is out, Mongo moves to Center and Jackson and Ford play OG with Boettger the swing IOL.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some may think it's a bad move, but Beane may think Ford competes with a lower price FA they bring in at RT.

If Ford competes for the RT job, I believe our offense will be in trouble.  Let him compete for a guard spot.  

33 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Or Morse is out, Mongo moves to Center and Jackson and Ford play OG with Boettger the swing IOL.

And we start a rookie RT?  Better draft him rd 1.  I don’t think there’s any chance that we sign Feliciano, Jackson and Williams.  I’m all about bolstering the OL this offseason, but if pay good money to 2 IOL and draft a RT high (or resign Williams), our OL better dominate.  

I think moving Mongo to C is a bad move the more I think about it. One of his best attributes is being able to slide over to center.  If he’s the center, we’d need to invest properly into a swing c/g backup.  

seems like a lot of eggs in the OL basket that could be similar to last years, while basically swapping out Morse for Jackson and possibly a 1st rd pick for Williams depending on what we do.  

Dunno if we’d get a return on the investment unless we got Jackson, Feliciano (and possibly Williams) for cheap. 

Might be better off finding another Feliciano for 2.5M instead of the 6-8 he may get.  

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Ford is not going to be guaranteed a job IMO. He is competing, whether at guard or at tackle. He is going to have to beat someone out.