Bills submit rule proposal change on interviews

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Honestly, push the offseason back and get rid of preseason. The past season showed we don't need it and I don't think a lot of people really care about watching meaningless games anyway. I'm all for this

I mean that could work, but they are already giving up pre season games to fit game 17 in.

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It wasn't preparation. It was in part scheme though. Some people think we should just have thrown away everything we did all year and done something totally different against KC. That really isn't the way the NFL works. You don't get to the Championship game and then try and fundamentally change who you are as a team. The schemes got shown up but it wasn't because the Bills failed to prepare. It is just that what KC do well matches up to our weaknesses and what we do well doesn't really expose theirs.

I totally agree - I do not think the Bills were not prepared and I do not think the interview process caused them to be less prepared than usual.

I do think that with several WRs injured, but trying to go - that impacts and limits what a coach can install and what plays become available during a game.  We basically had an entire position group hurting throughout the playoffs.  Diggs had his back issue, Brown with the high ankle sprain, Beasley with the broken leg, and Davis with his high ankle sprain.

I think the limited aspect of the 4 of them had a bigger impact.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

I totally agree - I do not think the Bills were not prepared and I do not think the interview process caused them to be less prepared than usual.

I do think that with several WRs injured, but trying to go - that impacts and limits what a coach can install and what plays become available during a game.  We basically had an entire position group hurting throughout the playoffs.  Diggs had his back issue, Brown with the high ankle sprain, Beasley with the broken leg, and Davis with his high ankle sprain.

I think the limited aspect of the 4 of them had a bigger impact.

And McKenzie with an ankle too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think this is a big part of their reasoning.

I believe they felt (and both McD and Beane have stated) that they felt their guys were excellent candidates for certain jobs, but the fact that it is difficult to set-up good interviews without a bye and you are eliminating more byes in the playoffs makes it harder for these candidates to get interviews.

This year was perfect with very limited interviews for coaches that were not #1 seeds and they struggled to have sound access to be able to move forward.  The Bills have a positive growth mindset and want to see their players, coaches, and front office staff become the best they can be and if you keep winning- that gets hurt.

I am sure there could be a bit of distraction based concerns as I am sure the interviews and then the uncertainty in both coaching and the players can be distracting, but I think they really thought a guy like Frazier was a great fit for Houston and I am sure the winning and a lack of an available hire date hurts his cause.

Yep. All the quotes from Beane are about how Daboll and Frazier didn't get a fair shot at getting hired as head coaches. The main concern was not that they were distracted for the playoff games.

42 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I wish it were possible to know if this proposal would had been made regardless of playoff outcomes.. It makes total sense, but I hate the idea of this being used as an excuse.

Excuse for what? All indications are that they made the proposal so that coordinators that go deep in the playoffs get more of a chance to be hired as head coaches. Beane didn't mention anything about it being a distraction or a reason why the team struggled.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I remember when I (and others) brought up the notion that it appeared the Offense in particular was struggling once the playoffs were happening and that it could be tied to Daboll trying to balance interviews with game planning / preparation. Several (if not more, I can't recall) were verbally stripped down to the posts essentially saying, "You don't understand how professionals handle themselves", to "That's ridiculous, if they can't get motivated for the playoffs they're not good coaches". Yet, ignored the human element which is intrinsic to all of us: we can only multi-task so many things and presume our focus and performance will remain unimpeded. It can't. 

In the playoffs especially, it takes all of your energy, all of your focus, all of your creativity, and all of your mental acumen to achieve the intended result. AND, you need that from EVERYONE. I like the change and hope they implement it immediately because if the Bills have another banner year, we'll be back to this issue in January 2022.

I'm not going to disagree, because "owning it" is exactly what needs to happen. But we would be naïve if we were to assume that there isn't a natural impact on a coach trying to give the opportunity to his subordinates to encourage a healthy culture while also asking them to make their own choices to stay focused on the task at hand. That said, if you remove that option, then the coach doesn't have to make that choice and everyone stays focused until such time as the two week break or later, when they can be formally courted for a promotion. JMO

Agreed, we need to own it and acknowledge it.  I think people saying they can do more than one thing here, are doing a disservice to the effort that goes into a playoff run.  This is creme of the crop at the highesst level.  All post season rosters are talented enough to get hot and win it all (NFCE as the exception). 

The biggest difference maker at the post season level is coaching.  If you think a coach can prepare for an intensive interview and still coach these games, you are under estimating the work these other coaches put in.  I do think a game could come down to the staff that put in more hours than the other, even by only a few hours.  These other teams spend their entire day planning and sleeping minimal hours.  You cant outwork another staff AND INTERVIEW, just not enough hours in the day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

Excuse for what? All indications are that they made the proposal so that coordinators that go deep in the playoffs get more of a chance to be hired as head coaches. Beane didn't mention anything about it being a distraction or a reason why the team struggled.

Might have missed that, but was that the reason stated?

When I read the headline, my first thought goes the distraction aspect, and hadn't thought of the 'fairness to get hired' piece.

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I remember when I (and others) brought up the notion that it appeared the Offense in particular was struggling once the playoffs were happening and that it could be tied to Daboll trying to balance interviews with game planning / preparation. Several (if not more, I can't recall) were verbally stripped down to the posts essentially saying, "You don't understand how professionals handle themselves", to "That's ridiculous, if they can't get motivated for the playoffs they're not good coaches". Yet, ignored the human element which is intrinsic to all of us: we can only multi-task so many things and presume our focus and performance will remain unimpeded. It can't. 

In the playoffs especially, it takes all of your energy, all of your focus, all of your creativity, and all of your mental acumen to achieve the intended result. AND, you need that from EVERYONE. I like the change and hope they implement it immediately because if the Bills have another banner year, we'll be back to this issue in January 2022.

I'm not going to disagree, because "owning it" is exactly what needs to happen. But we would be naïve if we were to assume that there isn't a natural impact on a coach trying to give the opportunity to his subordinates to encourage a healthy culture while also asking them to make their own choices to stay focused on the task at hand. That said, if you remove that option, then the coach doesn't have to make that choice and everyone stays focused until such time as the two week break or later, when they can be formally courted for a promotion. JMO

If I recall, the Bills beat the Colts and Ravens, or did they go on a 3 game losing streak in the playoffs?  

The Bills played crap teams down the stretch and got beat by the second best team in the NFL on the road with a banged up WR roup and a serillus flawed front 7. It's not the coaches that can't rush the passer.  

As for the rule change. I have no problem with it.  Honestly they should just put a moratorium on hiring new coaches until after the SB for all teams. What is the rush?  

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Well until the following game that is

Yes, but the Chiefs faced a much better opponent and his son had just been in (caused) that horrible accident.

The better team won the AFCCG and the better team won the Super Bowl.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

8583DE29-05E7-4B5F-BCB4-7B1111BD5C83.jpeg

Interesting to know Beane was able to follow through with that.  He said he was going to do when he appeared with Cris Collinsworth and Richard Sherman on their podcast. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Football said:

Is this there way of saying that there assistant coaching staff was distracted by the interview process? 🤔 kinda looked that way in the chiefs game! That was a coaching disaster!! 

Not according to what Beane discussed in said podcast.  He said that assistants coaching for teams that go deep into the playoffs are disadvantaged because teams that need coaches hire guys who are available earlier.  Said it would make the process more equitable if it was just "everybody has to wait.

18 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Might have missed that, but was that the reason stated?
When I read the headline, my first thought goes the distraction aspect, and hadn't thought of the 'fairness to get hired' piece.

Yes, the "fairness to get hired" was the part Beane focused on in the Collinsworth podcast.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree that there is a natural impact.  Every SB winning team - and most teams that go deep into the playoffs - face it every season.

McDermott simply didn't do well managing it.  Andy Reid did.

well, I don't think Bienemy calls plays>?  

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

That is the way it should be... Daboll looked like ***** in the playoffs with his play calling.

I think you might be right!  At one point Daboll made a statement and took himself out of the conversation....wonder how that came about.