Cuts around the league..

Dianna Russini from ESPN just tweeted out: 

Just texted with an NFL head coach about the upcoming cuts and what he expects…

“It’s going to be a massacre next week all around the league”

Seeing that the Bills are very close to the cap. Do you think the Bills will make any surprising cuts before free agency? 

Edited by BillMafia716ix

4 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Dianna Russini from ESPN just tweeted out: 

Just texted with an NFL head coach about the upcoming cuts and what he expects…

“It’s going to be a massacre next week all around the league”

Seeing that the Bills are very close to the cap. Do you think the Bills will make any surprising cuts before free agency? 

Bills can create a lot of room with a team option restructure of Dawkins and White

I think I heard $14 million. So technically they're not really in trouble. With the return of Star they can create another $6-7 million by releasing 1 DT, Jefferson or Butler. 

So they're actually pretty good. That doesn't even include other vets like John Brown. Mitch Morse, and Lee Smith possibly released. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think a fair amount of players on the Bills have a deadline of taking a pay cut or outright getting cut.  

I doubt it, but who do you think they are?

Players may be asked to restructure, but 99% of restructures are not cuts. 

The Bills are in the middle-class of teams.  They lack cap space, but can create quite a bit with 2 or 3 restructures and  3 or perhaps 4 cuts.

My thoughts are that Lee Smith and Quinton Jefferson get cut, and Dion Dawkins and Tre' White are asked to restructure. 

I think the only player in line for "restructure or be cut" might be John Brown.

The "blood bath" and deadline of "renegotiate or take pay cut" will take place on the teams that are significantly over the cap, such as the Saints, Eagles, Rams, Chiefs, Falcons, Steelers, and Packers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I doubt it, but who do you think they are?

Players may be asked to restructure, but 99% of restructures are not cuts. 

The Bills are in the middle-class of teams.  They lack cap space, but can create quite a bit with 2 or 3 restructures and  3 or perhaps 4 cuts.

My thoughts are that Lee Smith and Quinton Jefferson get cut, and Dion Dawkins and Tre' White are asked to restructure. 

I think the only player in line for "restructure or be cut" might be John Brown.

The "blood bath" and deadline of "renegotiate or take pay cut" will take place on the teams that are significantly over the cap, such as the Saints, Eagles, Rams, Chiefs, Falcons, Steelers, and Packers

WR isn't super top heavy, but coming off the injury year that Brown had, he may have trouble getting any term.  He's likely looking at 1 yr deal outside of buffalo, and I'm not sure teams look at him as a better option than guys like Hilton Watkins and Perriman.  Tack on an extension year and you can lower the base salary (7 mil) considerably, and keep him for 2 years at like 14 or something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody’s paying Morse $7.5m with his concussion history.  And nobody’s paying Addison $8m or Butler $7m.  Jefferson most likely isn’t getting $7m either but he’s more versatile.  With Brown, that makes 5 guys who most likely are taking pay cuts or getting cut.  Yes, most years these guys would be offered a restructured deal but not when the cap is going down 10% instead of up 10%.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills can create a lot of room with a team option restructure of Dawkins and White

I think I heard $14 million. So technically they're not really in trouble. With the return of Star they can create another $6-7 million by releasing 1 DT, Jefferson or Butler. 

So they're actually pretty good. That doesn't even include other vets like John Brown. Mitch Morse, and Lee Smith possibly released. 

What do you(they) have in mind here considering these deals are barely 6 months old?

1 minute ago, hjnick said:

Pinned to the top of the page too... :)

I feel like that thread is for players who are actually released, where this thread is regarding the "news" from Russini that there will be a blood bath of cuts.

Ahhh, the offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Cutting both Brown & Kroft saves $14 million. Neither did anything in the 2nd half of the season when our offense was racking up yards & putting up a ton of points.

Cut Pufnstuf?!  Never! 😡

🎶Can't do a little cause he can't do enough !🎵

image.thumb.jpeg.969b913d24226a521772f9f72b26032f.jpeg

😁

27 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Cutting both Brown & Kroft saves $14 million. Neither did anything in the 2nd half of the season when our offense was racking up yards & putting up a ton of points.

How do you figure that about Kroft??  I believe he contracted ended and he's a UFA.  At least on Sportrac and OvertheCap that's what it states

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

How do you figure that about Kroft??  I believe he contracted ended and he's a UFA.  At least on Sportrac and OvertheCap that's what it states

You are correct. I didn't notice lines crossing out the dollar amounts for 2021. Should've read the next line down.

Tyrell Williams just signed 1 year deal with Detroit for $4.7m that could be worth $6.2m with incentives.  John Brown is 2 years older and also coming off an injury plagued season.  Tells me Brown would be lucky to get $5m if he was cut when Williams is jumping on that deal from Lions.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cuts I expect - two of the three DL - Jefferson, Addison, and Butler will be gone

Cuts I fear will happen - Brown

Cuts I would not be shocked but don't expect - Morse, Star

Cuts that could happen but I would be shocked - Hughes, Hyde, Fromm

No chance. 

• Agree 1