If/When we sign a FA TE, who's most likely

Give me Smith or I will take Rudolph for 5 million... I DO NOT want Cook or Everett-- To me both those players are no better than Knox. I seen too many drops by Cook in the playoffs this year and Everett's metrics are similar to Knox...  Our TE's will never average more then 5 targets a game. 

Cook or Everett would just be the next whipping boy for Bills fans. 

I like, maybe even borderline love, Jonnu Smith the player, but as a FA I think someone's going to back up the Brinks truck for him. This is a bad TE draft class and a worse TE FA class -- all hitting when we're seeing the position emerge as more of a difference maker. It won't be him.

I think Rudolph is most likely, based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd love to trade up for Pitts but recognize that's probably a loooong shot... 

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

One guy who I think could be a good trade and is young is OJ Howard.  He has one year left on his contract, and the main guys there are Brate and Gronk.  If the Bucs really want to keep Godwin and Barrett, that’s a lot of $.  Howard was supposed to take the next step this year when he was hurt.  He’s not injury prone, just had an injury this year.  He’s shown flashes in previous years, but there is only one football and they have Evans, Godwin, Brate, Gronk, and AB.

OJ Howard absolutely IS injury prone, he's never finished a season. He's played in 42 of 64 possible games, and take away the 4 he got hurt in- only finished 38 out of 64 games. That said, he is a very talented TE & I'd be in on him at the right price.

The Bucs absolutely have to cut/trade either Brate or Howard. They can part with either with $0 in dead cap, but Howard would have to be before the March 17th deadline. So this could happen real soon.

Edited by 947
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Guy needs to help the running game as much as passing attack.  So... whoever can help there.

7 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

What about Gronk?

I'm open to it.  He's a good blocker.  Still a load to tackle, and size mismatch.  With knox here too he'd definitely still see that lower snap count.

But i see him just re-upping with Tampa for another run with Brady.  They'll cut howard and make room for him.

12 hours ago, The Governor said:

If we don’t snag some of our other FA targets, maybe Henry would/should be the way to go. 

Being that they still haven’t given up on Knox, it would probably be Ertz tho.

Everyone wants Hunter Henry but he'll be the most expensive of all the FA TE's.  I could live with Rudolph for 1 year at a reasonable contract. I think the organization gives Knox one more year to break out or he's gone.

12 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

TE is a position that takes a long time to develop in the NFL from college. It took Ebron a long time to become a TD machine the past few years. Heck, Pettigrew, didnt even pan out. I don't want to give up on Knox. He's super athletic, but he's still learning. He can't block and is prone to drops, although it was better this year. Lee Smith is most likely going to retire. Out the following list of FA or players that most likely will be cut, who do you think makes most sense with salary cap and age in mind:

Jonnu Smith

Zach Ertz

Kyle Rudolph

Gerald Everett

Hunter Henry

Dan Arnold

Jared Cook

Jordan Reed

For me I think it comes down Everett, Smith, or Arnold. They are vets, but still young with not a lot of injury history. Cook, Reed, and Ertz are old or have injuries and Henry is too expensive.

Who does everyone think is a reasonable signing both money wise and skills wise?

Interesting post.  I agree with you, reading the tea-leaves if Lee Smith doesn't retire (and in interviews, he sounds as though he's already retired in his mind), Beane is going to have to move on from him.  We don't get enough production from him to justify $2M in a tight cap.

I think in terms of signing, though, that's the level of TE signing we're probably looking for - $2M - now mind you, we can offer a young guy a 2-3 year contract that equates to that.

What can you tell us about Everett, Smith, or Arnold, especially the latter - I see him listed as a WR?  I like it that they all come from reasonably good teams

Its going to be Rudolph.  I cannot see them paying Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith when they used a 3rd round pick on Knox two years ago.    On Everett,  the point of bringing in a second TE is to be able to use 12 personnel, Everett is too similar to Knox in my opinion.   He is only marginally better when it comes to hands, and Knox is the better blocker.   In signing Rudolph you upgrade the overall position, have the ability to use 12 personnel more often and more effectively, and you also bring a veteran leader into your locker room.   I honestly think its a no brainer.

7 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

People on here speak as if Knox is a #1 TE. Hes a #2 at best. Buffalo desperately needs a reliable big pass catching TE in the middle of the field. Knox is jerky, awkward, and unreliable. 

Considering what we've already witnessed I doubt many feel Knox is a TE1. He's barely a TE2 based on his limitations. For over 30 years the organization has never swung big on a TE and they're not starting now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Considering what we've already witnessed I doubt many feel Knox is a TE1. He's barely a TE2 based on his limitations. For over 30 years the organization has never swung big on a TE and they're not starting now.

We did pay Charles Clay $38m over 5 years with like 23m guaranteed.   That's still a lot of coin.  ...that we didn't get enough production out of.

My top tier - I hope we can secure one of these TE1's and use Knox as TE2.

Ertz - interesting thought to improve the pass catchers from last year.

J Smith - good athlete who would improve the run blocking while having somewhat a 

pass catching threat

K Rudolph - same as J Smith w run blocking and some pass catching

Second tier - has D Njoku, G Everett, or OJ as Kroft replacements and competition/depth for Knox.

I don’t know man.. It seems like Kyle Rudolph would be an affordable option and would provide us with some considerable talent and veteran leadership. Could be a 50-60 catch TE here. I think Allen will better utilize Rudolph better than Cousins ever could. I’d like to see us sign him for sure.

Rudolph is an aging vet, but given their interest in Olsen last year, maybe that is what they want for Knox to learn from as well.  I am not as excited for him, I mean in mostly playing in pass happy offenses, he has only eclipsed 600 yards twice in 10 seasons.  He is a good Redzone threat though.  Word is his initial interest is in playing for the Pats.  

Personally, I think the guy they will more likely go after is Gerald Everett.  He is young enough with a skill set to be an impact player in all facets of the position.  His stats are not big because he split time with another talented TE in an offense thats had 3 very good WR's almost at all times and Todd Gurley at his best.  But I think he has a lot of upside if he was a featured TE in our offense.  

Guys not yet available as free agents, but could be cut or had in a trade are OJ Howard, Ertz, and Njoku.  I think Beane will inquire about what it would take to land one of these 3 as well before they become a FA.  The reason being that its going to be a LOT harder for day 3 picks to make this roster this year and I can easily see Beane flipping one for one of these guys.  

And make no mistake about it, the trade value of these guys is not very high due to injuries and lack of need for their teams.  All 3 have guys in place to start at TE already, most of which are ahead of these guys on depth charts.  Teams know they will likely cut them with the lower cap if they don't trade them.  So I think all 3 could be had for a day 3 pick.  Ertz is the only one whose played at a high level, but hes up there in age and battled injuries, so even he likely would go for a day 3 pick or no higher than a 4th rounder IMO.  

So thats my list:  I think the FA they would target first is Everett.  But I think Beane will also look to maybe trade some of later draft assets for one of those other guys too.  

I would personally be pretty excited about any of those 4.  Rudolph wouldn't be a bad signing either, but I think he has less left in the tank than the other guys.

• Like (+1) 1