What happened to McKenzie in the playoffs?

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I'd love to ask a coordinator how they make sure they don't get too wrapped up by the chess match type stuff that happens during the week. Part of their game planning involves trying to predict what the opponent is gonna do. I wonder how they make sure they don't get too overly involved or overly cautious. I read the book "Collision Low Crossers" which was an behind the scenes look at the Jets 2011 season and one chapter talked about a uniquely designed play drawn up by ol' Rexy and Mike Pettine and for weeks they practiced it and would work and so it would go in the game plan but they never once called it in a game. Said they never found the "perfect situation" for it. I guess I can get that but really, how often does a perfect situation come along?

Sometimes you just gotta try to roll with stuff. With how Daboll aims to morph the offense from week to week based on opponent, I've often wondered if he's gotten too into his own head and ends up game planning things that don't always play to the strength of his players because he's basing it off who they're facing. I also felt like there were times where they refused to adjust to what the defense would allow and wanted to keep doing their bread and butter. 

It was often said Thurman had only 5 rushing plays. Sometimes teams need to establish bread and butter plays that they execute so well they cannot be stopped, then insert Reed, Beebe end rounds or a jets sweep. To me the more simple the better. Every pitcher needs a change up for off balance. 

• Like (+1) 1

It wasn't just McKenzie. Daboll didn't use any trick plays or gadgets plays in the playoffs. We ran a bunch of them to great success in the regular season so I don't know what changed. The statue of liberty would have been a good one to call close to the goal line against KC at the end of the 1st half. Instead we ran that play while up multiple scores against the Broncos. Daboll has a habit of calling games scared when it really matters. I think that's why our offense looked so tight for much of the playoffs. It's like he gets worried that teams will be prepared for the gadget plays so he doesn't bother trying them.