What happened to McKenzie in the playoffs?

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Has anyone ever found out the story behind why McKenzie has his best game of the year against Miami, the Bills' WR group was beat up, and McKenzie barely sees the field in the playoffs?  Any inside scoops?  

I was trying to figure out what happened to the Jet Sweep in the playoffs....it was like the OC just took that page out of the playbook and burned it.

Yeah. Why were banged-up (broken leg, literally) Beas and a knee-injured nothing-burger John Brown better options in the KC game? Were they, at 70%, better than McKenzie at 95%? I understand My-Yami was running for the buses in the second half, but... 🤷🏻‍♂️?

He hurt his ankle in that Miami game and the injury was probably more severe than they let on. 

He practiced but doubt he was 100%. Ankle injury for a speed guy is tough to play through. 

Edited by Maybe Someday
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, H2o said:

French Vanillaaaa, Rocky Road,

Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough

Scoop!!! There it is. Scoop!!! There it is. 

Can you believe that commercial was on my TV as I was reading this!! Weird!!

• Haha (+1) 1

He was hurt. Got hurt against Miami and was limited few times in practice after that. I think it was ankle which probably meant they didn't think he could put his foot in the ground and cut upfield off it which is pretty vital to make that jet sweep effective. His playoff snap counts were 4 vs the Colts, 8 vs the Ravens and 15 vs the Chiefs which I think rather supports the theory that he wasn't healthy coming out of that Miami game and they were building him back up to the point where they felt he could properly go v KC. 15 was right around his average snap count for the year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe that sometimes coaches over think that 3 game film stuff. Occasionally a play that may be considered "trick" is thought to be easily identified by formation and therefore is dropped from the playbook for weeks.

I did not think this sweep by Mac was a trick play. 

Coaches become full of themselves with preconceived ideas and they become predictable in their effort to be unpredictable.

• Like (+1) 1

I think McKenzie is the perfect replacement for Brown if we can keep him. He would be most affective if he was thrown to more downfield to make the jet sweep a surprise and not the only reason he is in the game. He may not be Tyrek Hill but he is dynamic.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

He hurt his ankle in that Miami game and the injury was probably more severe than they let on. 

He practiced but doubt he was 100%. Ankle injury for a speed guy is tough to play through. 

Think you are right here....I had heard this from a few different places. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

But Beasley plays on a broken leg

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

There was for some reason a fear of showing/admitting that our WRs were banged up, even though all of our opponents knew it, not sure of the logic that SM & BD applied about the WR situation, they weren’t fooling anyone. 

I suspect that the coaches involved knew that they did not have a workable “plan B”, which mostly points to poor planning / use / implementation of available resources.

What this says is that “We Don’t Trust You” To the rest of the receivers room, and that certainly is not a good look if you’re the future/current number four and deeper on the depth chart.

One would hope that SM & BD have learned from this misstep, and have a “plan B” available for the upcoming season.  That said, it was a very good season overall for the Bills, and they can certainly hold their heads up high as reigning Division Champions. 

Anyways, on to watching the next iteration of the Buffalo Bills form right in front of us, should be fun and frustrating all at the same time 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Has anyone ever found out the story behind why McKenzie has his best game of the year against Miami, the Bills' WR group was beat up, and McKenzie barely sees the field in the playoffs?  Any inside scoops?  

Daboll happened.