Glow in the dark sharks? Yup.

Bad Things

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't read closely enough - is it a bad shark?  Because people are all "shark!  Freak TF out!" but my understanding is most are not aggressive to people

Nah, this is a deep sea shark so wouldn't be a problem to people.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't read closely enough - is it a bad shark?  Because people are all "shark!  Freak TF out!" but my understanding is most are not aggressive to people

When I think shark I ask myself this "How will this shark steak taste?"

And I think it is very appropriate to be found by New Zealand.

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

My desire to spend time in New Zealand has never been greater

Think of hobbits feasting on shark steaks for dinner and supper.

Big Lord of the Rings fan and I'd like to go to NZ and see what was left from movie but I cannot get off work long enough to go to New Zealand.

This has been known for a while (at least 20 years) that some fish do this but the new thing is that sharks  can do this. From the link,  you can see that the bottom glows.  Where the sharks are there is  a very dim light, right at the edge of the darkness.  Rh ckiw on the bottom allow them to blend in with  the faint light coming from above. The dark upper surface allows them to be invisible from above. I used to work at a biotech company  and saw this at  conference on bioluminescece  at Asilomar, CA back around 2001 or so.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Think of hobbits feasting on shark steaks for dinner and supper.

Big Lord of the Rings fan and I'd like to go to NZ and see what was left from movie but I cannot get off work long enough to go to New Zealand.

Maybe someday.  That’s what I keep telling myself.  I haven’t had a vacation since before COVID so maybe I’ll be able to splurge on something like NZ when it’s all done.  Good luck getting there someday 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.