An Offseason Scenario I Put Together

H2o

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Because they didn't call Miss Cleo to find out there was going to be cap issues in 2021 due to Covid first. 

200.gif

There wasn't a living human on Sept 5th 2020 who did not understand that there would be cap issues for 2021 due to the pandemic.  The Buffalo News, reporting on the contract at the time, specifically mentioned a predicted cap of only 175 million.  They say his contract reflected that so there's no reason to believe he would agree to rework it again

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There wasn't a living human on Sept 5th 2020 who did not understand that there would be cap issues for 2021 due to the pandemic.  The Buffalo News, reporting on the contract at the time, specifically mentioned a predicted cap of only 175 million.  They say his contract reflected that so there's no reason to believe he would agree to rework it again

Teams do it ALL the time. They restructure to where the guy loses no money, but it opens up cap space as needed. It's for the cap hit to be spread out, but what they take home doesn't change. It's not really something that poses a problem if they choose to do it.

42 minutes ago, H2o said:

Teams do it ALL the time. They restructure to where the guy loses no money, but it opens up cap space as needed. It's for the cap hit to be spread out, but what they take home doesn't change. It's not really something that poses a problem if they choose to do it.

If he's already signed a deal that took into consideration a significantly lower cap, how many times does he agree to redo that deal?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If he's already signed a deal that took into consideration a significantly lower cap, how many times does he agree to redo that deal?

Ahhhh, boy

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Ahhhh, boy

giphy.gif

I do.  They re-work deals.   But converting salary into prorated bonus pushes a bigger cap hit into the next season.  How do we know there will be full fans in the stands this season?  This will again negatively affect the cap in 2022.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Personally my perfect off-season scenario would be a cap a bit higher than 180-185 million and closer to the 190-195 million range. That extra 10-15 million would help make it easier to retain talent. Generally speaking I hope they do the following moves under a 195 million dollar cap. 

• Existing cap space under a 195 million cap 16.2 million
  • Cut Lee Smith and Vernon Butler (Savings 9 million)
  • Restructure Quinton Jefferson to 4.5 million (Savings 3.5 million) or cut Jefferson if he isn't willing to take a pay cut (Savings 6.5 million)
  • Restructure the following players John Brown, Mitch, Addision, and Hughes to save about 3 million on each (Total savings 12 million) 
  • Convert some of Diggs, White and Dawkins base salary into a signing bonus (Savings 15 million)

Those types of moves (assuming you keep Jefferson at a reduced rate) would give the Bills about 55 million in space to work with. Taking out the rookie pool and emergency money that leaves you with about 40 million to work with and you only lose Lee Smith and Vernon Butler (who is replaced by Star).

Using that 35 million I hope they are able to make the following moves. 

• Resign D.Williams 9.5 million aav
  • Resign Milano one year 8.5 million deal (hoping he doesn't get the big offer he wants and takes a one year deal)
  • Resign Mongo 5.8 million aav
  • Resign Wallace, Ike and Bojo to their restricted tenders (not sure what their tenders are I will allocate 8 million to getting them done to deals)
  • Resign Roberts one year 3 million (got to keep your return game stable)
  • Resign Ty Nesh one year 2.75 million (keep depth on the oline) 
  • Resign T.Jones one year 1.75 million (special teams ace)

Those resignings would eat up just about all of the useable cap space at 40 million but most key free agents would be retained only losses would be Mac, Kroft, Trent Murphy, TJ Yeldon, Norman, Brian Winters, Matt Barkley, and Dean Marlowe which in my mind is nothing to lose. 

Then you just have to hope that you can get those last few pieces you need via the draft. It isn't sexy but run back a good team and add to it via the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I do respect the time and thought put into this, but I just don't like the cutting of Morse. The only way to keep Allen from regression is to keep him clean and standing. Morse has played well and is by no means a liability to get Allen killed. Though I recognize the concussion risk, its tough to assess players over fear of injury. 

And I really think we go LB if ND or tulsa falls to us, and definitely if edge rush falls to us or even OL before we go secondary.