Dion Dawkins Open Letter: Part 3

Was the gun charge simply having a gun that wasn't registered to him? If so, 5 year minimum is insane. I get you need to have standards for crimes but that seems like a long time.

Not to get political or anything, but a lot of black youth suffer from not having a dad, statistically speaking. This has correlated to a higher likelihood of crime and gang activity.

So I have to ask: how does taking a dad away from his kids for 5 years help this situation at all? It seems counter productive, assuming Dion isn't skipping over any important details.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

I wont quote from the article. You all can read it and take it how you want. But I will ADD to it.

A quote from Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett:

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Was the gun charge simply having a gun that wasn't registered to him? If so, 5 year minimum is insane. I get you need to have standards for crimes but that seems like a long time.

Not to get political or anything, but a lot of black youth suffer from not having a dad, statistically speaking. This has correlated to a higher likelihood of crime and gang activity.

So I have to ask: how does taking a dad away from his kids for 5 years help this situation at all? It seems counter productive, assuming Dion isn't skipping over any important details.

This is his charge.  Not sure why he could not have it though. 

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-39/2c-39-7/

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

So he had a previous charge that led to him being restricted from possessing a gun? Seems a bit disingenuous to not include that.

Coulda been a robbery charge from when he was a teen, or the like. Doesnt even say it has to be a felony.

Dion's point still stands, he doesnt support what his brother did, but it isnt mandatory jail time in plenty of other states.

And now we are getting into the weeds that Dion was trying to avoid which cloud empathy towards the person on the other side of this.

• Like (+1) 1

Dion is now officially my favorite Buffalo Bill. Was leaning that way prior, because of his personality, efforts on the field and off, and for being the best teammate one could have asked for, but that letter was amazingly well written, done so from the heart, showing his caring nature, strength and wisdom, and speaking the truths, but doing so in a fair way that could make his family, and others  who have made mistakes or been at the wrong place and time--proud too. Nobody is perfect, and we most could be where his brother is if the police knew of certain wrongs or mistakes, or if justice then did not give us a second chance or turn a blind eye. A little more common sense, fairness and compassion could go along way to making this a better place, for all. Too often wrong assumptions are made, and because of a lack of desire to get the whole, complete truth, but to spin, to fit the stereotypical belief.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

Not to get into race but I know a lot of white people who don't have dads either 

I don't think it's a race thing. It's an upbringing thing and an economic thing

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Not to get into race but I know a lot of white people who don't have dads either 

I don't think it's a race thing. It's an upbringing thing and an economic thing

All about the upbringing - that and self improvement.  One begets the other.....plenty of rich kids are eff ups too.....

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

All about the upbringing - that and self improvement.  One begets the other.....plenty of rich kids are eff ups too.....

Hahahah tons of rich kids are spoiled brats and eff ups! 

They are probably the worst

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hahahah tons of rich kids are spoiled brats and eff ups! 

They are probably the worst

A factor is their parents money tends to help some infractions never get charged, while others get dismissed or plea-bargained away

Example: My SIL was in their small home town in southern MO.  Two kids driving an expensive car backed out of a parking space, hit two other parked cars, drove off unsteadily.   SIL called police and followed them at a safe distance until police pulled them over so she could witness and help anyone else they crashed into.  Police arrived, decided they had probable cause for drunk driving, kids wanted a blood draw, so police took them off to the hospital.   SIL went on her way.

She followed up though.  Found out they were never charged.  Why?   Well somehow on the way to the hospital and the blood draw, the police left them unobserved for 30 minutes, and their parents' lawyer argued with the prosecutor that the drunk driving charge couldn't be proved beyond a reasonable doubt because they could have consumed alcohol during those 30 minutes where the police left them unobserved.

I forgot whose kids they were, but it was someone with influence in the local small-town political structure, which one of our LEOs here pointed out to me likely includes hiring and firing influence over the chief of police.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, appoo said:

He wasn't really talking about the law, but rather wanting everyone to have empathy for the people, and recognize them not as criminals, but as human beings.

I don't know anybody who wouldn't have empathy for a father stuck in jail. That's absolutely tragic. Hopefully he can get out soon and get back to his family. If he's saying that a specific law is impacting certain people more than others then maybe gun law education is the answer and he can help spread the word using his platform. What is his proposed solution? Bills fans want to support him and his family