Available young free agent DL, who should the Bills choose?

Available young DL men  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2 should they choose

• Yannick Ngakoue, Edge, (26) 4 years, $70 million ($17.5M APY): $40 million total guaranteed, $30 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Carl Lawson, Edge, (26) 4 years, $52 million ($13M APY): $30 million total guaranteed, $17.5 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Trey Hendrickson, Edge, (26) 4 years, $45 million ($11.25M APY): $25 million total guaranteed, $20 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, (27) 4 years, $52 million ($13M APY): $26.5 million total guaranteed, $16.5 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Jadeveon Clowney, Edge, (28) 1 year, $12 million, fully guaranteed at signing
    • Romeo Okwara, Edge, (26) 3 years, $19.5 million ($6.5M APY): $10M total guaranteed, $7 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Larry Ogunjobi, DT, (27) 3 years, $7.5 million, $3 million total guaranteed
    • Dawuane Smoot, Edge, (26) 2 years, $12.5 million ($6.25M APY): $6M total guaranteed, $3 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Davon Godchaux, DT, (26) 3 years, $16.5 million ($5.5M APY): $7M total guaranteed, $4 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Takkarist McKinley, (25) 3 years, $28.5 million ($9.5M APY): $18 million total guaranteed, $7.5 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • D.J. Jones, DT, (26) 4 years, $10 million ($2.5M APY): $4 million total guaranteed, $2 million fully guaranteed at signing
    • Charles Harris, Edge, (26) 2 years, $9.5 million ($4.75M APY): $3M total guaranteed, $1 million fully guaranteed at signing

So we lost out on Watt but there's some interesting young free agents that we can have and build around for several years.  I read a PFF article about all the upcoming free agents and the prospective landing places with their projected contracts.  I grabbed only the DL players that were 27 or less with the exception of Clowney.  And for some not listed in the article found other references with the projected contracts.   So channeling your inner Beane which 2 do you try to sign??  For me I choose Carl Lawson and Davon Godchaux

Edited by BillsFanThru-N-Thru
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

DJ Jones was totally underated in SF SuperBowl run, last year had a down year maybe because injuries that sidelined him 3-4 games the year before and he never recovered (don't really know)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

If they could get Lawson that would be a huge win. I remember him in college and he's a freak. With coaches that put him in good situations he would be scary good.

Just because of cap reasons and the team needing to keep flexibility I wouldn't care to pay anyone 17/18m a year.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, poblano said:

DJ Jones was totally underated in SF SuperBowl run, last year had a down year maybe because injuries that sidelined him 3-4 games the year before and he never recovered (don't really know)

I agree, I was talking with a 49ers fan yesterday and they said he was one of their fav players and called him a beast. Some injury concerns but worth it for so cheap.

Romeo Okwara is one on that list that really sticks out to me.  Former UDFA fro Notre Dame that has strung together 2 pretty successful season in DET as a pass rusher.  I think he might even be better with more talented players around him.  I’m not really sure how he is against the run though.  Also, I’m reading that his projected contract will likely be in the 10-12 million AAV range.  

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Hendrickson would be a great addition. Also bring in Kerrigan.

would love to get Lawson and Kerrigan.  If Kerrigan is lower priced, he'd be a nice add on.  

I also love Tomlinson, but at the cost it's looking like perhaps better to draft a DT.  

Hendrickson or Lawson + Tomlinson would completely change our D.  I just don’t see any chance of us making that happen....sadly.  

I’d be ok with DJ Jones, Ogunjobi, Godchaux or Okwara.  

I wouldn’t be mad at ngakoue, I just don’t know if he’s worthy of that money.  Good flash pass rusher....but when he’s not flashing, he’s non existent imo. Hence, not worth the price tag.

Gimme Lawson. He's been a good pass rusher since he stepped on an NFL field and was second in QB hits behind TJ Watt this year. Going to a defense than can actually cover and where he's not the only player who can rush the passer will help turn more of those hits into sacks. He's also solid against the run unlike Ngakoue, Hendrickson, and Okwara.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Gimme Lawson. He's been a good pass rusher since he stepped on an NFL field and was second in QB hits behind TJ Watt this year. Going to a defense than can actually cover and where he's not the only player who can rush the passer will help turn more of those hits into sacks. He's also solid against the run unlike Ngakoue, Hendrickson, and Okwara.

Hendrickson has generally graded out pretty solid against the run as well. Right on about the other two though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lawson and Tomlinson would instantly make this defense feel scary good again. Use our 1st on either a OT (since we would most likely be losing Williams if we signed both of those guys) or Zaven Collins would look pretty damn good in a Bills uni. And yes, I realize if we drafted him, that that would be a lot of defense we focused on. 

That is a good list, but I would like us to swing a trade for the Viking with the girly name please (Danielle Hunter). He is the one player with All-Pro / DPOY potential - and we need to get a game-changer on that D-line. The others are all serviceable - but not really game-changers. Among these others, I voted for Hendricksen with Lawson in second.

16 hours ago, poblano said:

Completely agree, I think me and you are the only 2 votes for him.