Remember when Magic the Gathering cards first came out?

Boxcar

16 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Sports cards are booming right now as well.   One of these things actually sold at auction for 511,000 dollars.   This tells me some people have way too much disposable income. 

Are you referring to the Topps Mickey Mantle card? That went for 5.2 million.

Keeping a card that old in mint condition must have been incredibly difficult. The magic cards at least are around 30 years old, and many of us had the opportunity to buy some in the Alpha stage.

48 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Keeping a card that old in mint condition must have been incredibly difficult. The magic cards at least are around 30 years old, and many of us had the opportunity to buy some in the Alpha stage.

No I was speaking of the of the Magic Card.   I took at look at the sold auctions on ebay, its one thing to list it for that much, but I was surprised to see one sold for that much.   For sports cards I get it, they depict some of the greatest athletes of our time in their youth.  

I dont get it as much on the MAGIC end.   And I am not saying that to be a jerk, I literally just dont understand the value.   Is it the art, or the nostalgia?  I'd love to know more about why the boom is happening.  Trends like that are interesting.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

No I was speaking of the of the Magic Card.   I took at look at the sold auctions on ebay, its one thing to list it for that much, but I was surprised to see one sold for that much.   For sports cards I get it, they depict some of the greatest athletes of our time in their youth.  

I dont get it as much on the MAGIC end.   And I am not saying that to be a jerk, I literally just dont understand the value.   Is it the art, or the nostalgia?  I'd love to know more about why the boom is happening.  Trends like that are interesting.

I'm not sure why this boom is particularly happening, but with game trading cards, first editions are incredibly valuable. For example, this Black Lotus card which was part of the very first MTG printing in 1993 is worth hundreds of thousands, but the same card two editions later is worth a couple thousand.

For that matter, I am seeing first edition Charizard Pokemon cards selling for 500k. I could have bought that card for 50 bucks 20 years ago, when I was actually collecting those cards. 😢

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

I'm not sure why this boom is particularly happening, but with game trading cards, first editions are incredibly valuable. For example, this Black Lotus card which was part of the very first MTG printing in 1993 is worth hundreds of thousands, but the same card two editions later is worth a couple thousand.

For that matter, I am seeing first edition Charizard Pokemon cards selling for 500k. I could have bought that card for 50 bucks 20 years ago, when I was actually collecting those cards. 😢

Interesting stuff.   I am sure 20 years ago 50 bucks seemed like too much to be spending on one card.   You never know how this stuff is going to shake out.

Imagine those guys back in the 50's and 60's that ruined those same Mantle cards in their bike tire spokes.  

Gotta watch this antiques roadshow clip...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Sports cards are booming right now as well.   One of these things actually sold at auction for 511,000 dollars.   This tells me some people have way too much disposable income. 

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

The Sports Cards that are booming right now arent the old Topps cards from the 50s though. It's all new "Diamond" whatever cards. Cards that have pieces of jersey fabric sown into them, etc. My Target has signs up saying only 3 boxes of cards per person on release day. It's all new card stuff. The old cards I collected in the 80s are still worthless. Womp.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

I collect sports cards, mostly Bills (all eras) and vintage Sabres and Celtics (70's- 80's vintage for me).  DrDawkinstein is correct...the current card boom is for current cards.  The prices are absurd...it can't last.  Prior to Covid19 quarantine, I had collected 47 different Josh Allen certified autographed cards.  I paid anywhere from $12- $40 for each of them. Over this last year the values have skyrocketed on these things...I am not exagerrating...these cards are now selling for anywhere between $150- $800.  I recently sold an autographed Drew Lock card for $125.00  I had it listed for months on eBay for months (prior to the boom) for $30 and couldn't sell it.  It is really nuts.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

I collect sports cards, mostly Bills (all eras) and vintage Sabres and Celtics (70's- 80's vintage for me).  DrDawkinstein is correct...the current card boom is for current cards.  The prices are absurd...it can't last.  Prior to Covid19 quarantine, I had collected 47 different Josh Allen certified autographed cards.  I paid anywhere from $12- $40 for each of them. Over this last year the values have skyrocketed on these things...I am not exagerrating...these cards are now selling for anywhere between $150- $800.  I recently sold an autographed Drew Lock card for $125.00  I had it listed for months on eBay for months (prior to the boom) for $30 and couldn't sell it.  It is really nuts.  

Someone wanted a Drew Lock card? Did you sell him a Josh Rosen while you were at it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Someone wanted a Drew Lock card? Did you sell him a Josh Rosen while you were at it?

Hey, there was a time, not too long ago where EJ Manuel and Geno Smith were the hottest young players

Edited by Buftex

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

So, Beckett is thrown out of the window sort of? What would a Jack Kemp rookie card in VG condition go for nowadays?... slightly soft corners on 2 of them but intact otherwise with the original color of the ink.

23 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I had some of the early cards, including a Black Lotus.  All were destroyed in a flood along with other stuff in my basement.  It was right as we were moving into the house.  My wife was there to start her new job while I was still in our old city.  The husband of the couple we bought it from didn’t mention that the sump pump would get hung up sometimes.  To make matters much worse he was an insurance agent and sold us a policy for the home, but neglected to suggest flood insurance.  Good times. 

• Sad 1

On 3/2/2021 at 11:22 AM, Boxcar said:

Those are asking prices.

Do a "sold" search...this card has gone for as little as $2,000 and change.

It can be had all the time for a few grand more than that, apparently.

I don't even know what this is! LOL

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Those are asking prices.

Do a "sold" search...this card has gone for as little as $2,000 and change.

It can be had all the time for a few grand more than that, apparently.

I don't even know what this is! LOL

So, this card was printed in three sets, Limited Edition Alpha, Limited Edition Beta and Unlimited Edition, in that order, with the last set coming out in 1994. The cards you are seeing are probably from unlimited, and/or not mint or near mint condition. The Alpha card is by far the rarest, and that's why it's the most expensive despite being the same card that's in the other sets. It's purely a collector item that is sort of like owning a piece of history, I guess.

That might not make sense but it is the case.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, T&C said:

So, Beckett is thrown out of the window sort of? What would a Jack Kemp rookie card in VG condition go for nowadays?... slightly soft corners on 2 of them but intact otherwise with the original color of the ink.

Ebay "sold" listings are kinda the way to go.  An un-graded Kemp rookie card, listed by the seller as "VG" can go for anywhere between $25- $80   One that was graded as an "8" sold recently for $175.00

Meanwhile, a 2018 Josh Allen (1/1) autographed patch card, graded at 9 soid for $210,330 this week.   https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/03/josh-allen-bills-autographed-rookie-card-goes-for-six-figures-in-auction.html

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.