6 Dr. Seuss Books Won't Be Published for Racist Images

T&C

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I did acknowledge it.

I (correctly) pointed out that you were using a very racist picture from his college days...............not a children's book.

But, you either didn't read that or read it and didn't understand it..................either way you look foolish again.

Try and get the meaning behind this satire.

Oh, who am I kidding....😄

image.thumb.png.e95cb914e5e33075b125540007ada658.png

+1

keep whining

I get why Seuss is attacked and why limitation of exposing society to the symbolizing of systemic racism is important to changing our culture. Children must be taught hatred and racism. Certainly this type of book may do that. That is wrong for society.

Nothing is more damaging to all of us than racism.

BUT....

We must ensure that this is applied for society's benefit, not for the punishment of some, it can feel like revenge thus splitting society.

Example.

Why does Harry Belafonte continue to allow the playing of The Banana Boat song for his financial gain, but the works of Mark Twain and Gone with the Wind are trashed.

This is goose and gander stuff. 

It cannot be ok for some to have permission to talk, sing, or write of history and not others. 

Remove displays of systemic discrimination for sure. Eliminate systemic discrimination. Educate for sure. It needs to be done without a sense of punishment. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I get why Seuss is attacked and why limitation of exposing society to the symbolizing of systemic racism is important to changing our culture. Children must be taught hatred and racism. Certainly this type of book may do that. That is wrong for society.

BUT....

We must ensure that this is applied for society's benefit, not for the punishment of some, it can feel like revenge thus splitting society.

Example.

Why does Harry Belafonte continue to allow the playing of The Banana Boat song for his financial gain, but the works of Mark Twain and Gone with the Wind are trashed.

It cannot be ok for some to have permission to talk, sing, or write of history and not others. 

Remove displays of systemic discrimination for sure. Eliminate systemic discrimination. Educate for sure. It needs to be done without a sense of punishment. 

Good points

I've read elsewhere, a NYT op-ed, that Pepe Le Pew appears to be the next target of the cancel mob as the cartoon character symbolizes that rape and sexual assault are okay.  But rather than argue the pro's and con's of Pepe I thought it would be more fun to generate ideas on what might be targeted by the cancel cult.  But first a just a word of warning to all Wokesters and SJW's.  I realize that none of you have any sense of humor nor do you find any joy in life or the burden of sniffing out social injustice everywhere so be warned that I am attempting something lighthearted and nothing that is intended to be serious.  

Sticking to entertainment I ran across some while surfing through the channels for classic TV. 

The Honeymooners - the lead character verbal abuses his wife and on occasion threatens her with violence.

Hogan's Heroes - Nazi's and comedy just don't go together.

Married With Children - the lead male character is a symbol of extreme misogyny.

Three's Company - the male lead pretends to be gay in order to share an apartment with 2 women which leads to lots of homophobic comedy. 

The Three Stooges - gratuitous use of violence (at the time called slap stick comedy) while occasionally negatively stereo-typically portraying racial and ethnic characters

Any show that depicts male/female roles where the man goes to work and the women stays home to tend to the household.  Clearly sexist.

Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck - I'm not sure what's wrong here but there's something about a story about a Rabbit and a Duck that just doesn't seem right.  Same thing goes for that Roadrunner and Coyote.

Scobby Do - that dog better watch his back because I'll be watching and if he so much as blinks an eye inappropriately at anyone his ass is cancelled.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

BUT....

Example.

Niagara....really good points! The answer to your thoughtful post are buried within it. This is not about racism at all. At least not in the traditional sense we all grew up with. At its core this about silencing and controlling voices. Once they knock out certain objectionable speech they are free to replace it with their own dogma. It’s happening at warp speed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

BUT....

Example.

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Niagara....really good points! The answer to your thoughtful post are buried within it. This is not about racism at all. At least not in the traditional sense we all grew up with. At its core this about silencing and controlling voices. Once they knock out certain objectionable speech they are free to replace it with their own dogma. It’s happening at warp speed.

Deek & Bill you're onto an important insight.  I put my "2 cents" in on the Dr. Suess books here but truth is when it comes down to it I could care less about it one way or the other.  I expect that's the general view of most.  I doubt anybody is ready to take to the streets in acts of civil disobedience or protest in front of the "Dr. Suess foundation" (if such a thing exists).  In the scheme of things its completely unimportant. 

But being unimportant is why the social justice crowd is successful.  Their strategy is to follow the foot in the door approach.  Ask for something small in the pursuing the objective of something big.  They only pick the small fights they know they can win at the start.  They're smart and cunning bullies.  They're not going to pick a fight with the biggest, strongest, and meanest guy in the room because once somebody kicks the crap out of them their game is over.  At that point nobody will listen or comply. 

But as they proceed and their power grows the fights get bigger and bigger and the stakes get higher and higher. And by the time their "boil the frog slowly" approach gets to the tipping point its too late to mount any resistance or descent to what they want.  At this point even the biggest, strongest, and meanest guy in the room is no match for them.  At this point they'll have achieved the objective which is not to censor and erase "racist" images or words but rather to acquire power.  Pure and simple.  Power to dictate what people do, what people say, ultimately what people think.  Power to reward themselves with the spoils of conquest and the property and wealth of others.  Power to reward their followers and punish their opponents.  Power to control everyone's lives.  Power to control the government and all aspects of live through one party rule and the so called "democratic" process.

Somebody posed the question "sure you say they need to be stopped but what do you propose to do to stop them"?  As it is this isn't some brutal form of some political or social ideology where people are physical forced to follow some edicts or rules.  This is a "soft" tyranny.  Coercion, social pressure, shaming, threats against people's livelihoods.  Most of it done through social media where its not necessary to take the risks associated with physically getting in somebody's face.  But in general nobody is "forcing" anyone to do or not to do anything, at least to this point.  To this point everyone seems quite agreeable to comply without much of a fight. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I've read elsewhere, a NYT op-ed, that Pepe Le Pew appears to be the next target of the cancel mob as the cartoon character symbolizes that rape and sexual assault are okay. 

Might this explain Andrew Cuomo?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What dogma? 

Dogma is such an extreme. 

Is that like anti abortionists who push their religion on us all. 

In order for North America to save itself we need to middle if the road thinking. 

Riots and burning does not work. Storming the capital us wrong. Shooting abortion doctors is nuts. 

Dogma and extremes stops us (me) from being able to change comfortably. I am too busy defending. I have gay friends, I have mixed mix race friends, I have divorced friends, single parent friends, religious friends, atheist friends and friends that drink too much. It took time to accept it all. I cannot now even think of calling the Dolphins dolfags as we did in the 90s. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Woefully Ignorant Media Is Getting America's Anger Over the Cancelation of Dr. Seuss Books so Wrong, so Let Me Help

by Brandon Morse

Looking at how the media reacted to the reaction by Americans at the cancelation of some of Dr. Seuss’s books, it’s hard to tell whether they’re being obtuse on purpose or if they truly misunderstand the American people so much that their bubble stops them from experiencing reality as it is.

Case in point, here’s what one Business Insider reporter had to say about why conservatives were mad about Dr. Seuss, and I’m going to warn you, the explanation is so stupid that you may get dumber for having read it:

“The current obsession among right-wing media with Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head etc. is among the most bizarre manifestations we’ve seen yet re: their fear of white people becoming a minority. That’s really what this is all about. Fear of not being in control,” senior political reporter John Haltiwanger tweeted.

{snip}

White people didn’t inject racism into these books. The left did. Seuss didn’t write these books in question with any racist intent, and no one reading them became an ounce more racist for seeing them. It took the left arbitrarily making it racist for it to be a racial issue.

The real reason conservatives (and it’d be more accurate to say Americans across the political spectrum) are mad over the cancelation of certain Dr. Seuss books is very simple; we don’t want to be the culture that burns books because we disagree with what’s written in them. We want to be a society that’s mature enough to make our own decisions about what is and isn’t bad, and to be able to weigh what is and isn’t racist for ourselves. What we don’t want is a group of hyper-sensitive busybodies with chips on their shoulders and a holier-than-thou complex declaring what is and isn’t appropriate for our culture to see. We especially don’t want corporate businesses making that call for us as well.

America is a land of grown adults who value being able to make decisions for themselves. If a business wants to pull something for business reasons, then that’s one thing, but we don’t need these people pulling it because it’s no longer appropriate for general audiences to consume. Yes, the product is under their control, but the call on what America thinks is not.

Yet the insistence from corporations and activist groups that America isn’t intelligent, mature, or independent enough to handle ideas is a constant insult that is usually dismissed as a need to maintain some kind of racist status quo. That only further insults Americans, with conservatives being the most vocal in opposition.

So the reason behind the anger from conservatives has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the preservation of both knowledge and ideological independence. For shallow people like social justice advocates and left-leaning journalists, these are concepts that are tough to wrap the head around, but it’s very simple when you stop to think about it for more than a few seconds.

We don’t want to be told what’s good for us, and we don’t want a small group of very ignorant and ridiculous people deciding what is and isn’t morally correct.

https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2021/03/08/the-woefully-ignorant-media-is-getting-americas-anger-over-the-cancelation-of-dr-seuss-books-so-wrong-so-let-me-help-n339491

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, B-Man said:

The Woefully Ignorant Media Is Getting America's Anger Over the Cancelation of Dr. Seuss Books so Wrong, so Let Me Help

by Brandon Morse

Looking at how the media reacted to the reaction by Americans at the cancelation of some of Dr. Seuss’s books, it’s hard to tell whether they’re being obtuse on purpose or if they truly misunderstand the American people so much that their bubble stops them from experiencing reality as it is.

Case in point, here’s what one Business Insider reporter had to say about why conservatives were mad about Dr. Seuss, and I’m going to warn you, the explanation is so stupid that you may get dumber for having read it:

“The current obsession among right-wing media with Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head etc. is among the most bizarre manifestations we’ve seen yet re: their fear of white people becoming a minority. That’s really what this is all about. Fear of not being in control,” senior political reporter John Haltiwanger tweeted.

{snip}

White people didn’t inject racism into these books. The left did. Seuss didn’t write these books in question with any racist intent, and no one reading them became an ounce more racist for seeing them. It took the left arbitrarily making it racist for it to be a racial issue.

The real reason conservatives (and it’d be more accurate to say Americans across the political spectrum) are mad over the cancelation of certain Dr. Seuss books is very simple; we don’t want to be the culture that burns books because we disagree with what’s written in them. We want to be a society that’s mature enough to make our own decisions about what is and isn’t bad, and to be able to weigh what is and isn’t racist for ourselves. What we don’t want is a group of hyper-sensitive busybodies with chips on their shoulders and a holier-than-thou complex declaring what is and isn’t appropriate for our culture to see. We especially don’t want corporate businesses making that call for us as well.

America is a land of grown adults who value being able to make decisions for themselves. If a business wants to pull something for business reasons, then that’s one thing, but we don’t need these people pulling it because it’s no longer appropriate for general audiences to consume. Yes, the product is under their control, but the call on what America thinks is not.

Yet the insistence from corporations and activist groups that America isn’t intelligent, mature, or independent enough to handle ideas is a constant insult that is usually dismissed as a need to maintain some kind of racist status quo. That only further insults Americans, with conservatives being the most vocal in opposition.

So the reason behind the anger from conservatives has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the preservation of both knowledge and ideological independence. For shallow people like social justice advocates and left-leaning journalists, these are concepts that are tough to wrap the head around, but it’s very simple when you stop to think about it for more than a few seconds.

We don’t want to be told what’s good for us, and we don’t want a small group of very ignorant and ridiculous people deciding what is and isn’t morally correct.

https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2021/03/08/the-woefully-ignorant-media-is-getting-americas-anger-over-the-cancelation-of-dr-seuss-books-so-wrong-so-let-me-help-n339491

Piss off 

The good old right! Trying to profit off their own mismanagement campaign.

We can fix his tweet to:

“Ted Cruz here. I’m mad at a business making a business decision. I want to tell businesses what to do because I don’t believe in capitalism. So I want you to give me $60 for a $5 book that has nothing to do with the 6 books a private business decided to stop selling.”

Classic right playbook. Step 1: Create a boogeyman. Step 2: ? Step 3: Profit 

You need to wonder what the rights goal is here? Do they ultimately want to force a business to change a business decision? Isn’t that the same thing they can cancel culture?

Again, also good to see the right take up this boogeyman and say it’s about free speech and freedom. Yet, our righties on this board (and across the country) have never once posted a topic of any of the books the religious right continually try to get banned.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:48 PM, All_Pro_Bills said:

I've read elsewhere, a NYT op-ed, that Pepe Le Pew appears to be the next target of the cancel mob as the cartoon character symbolizes that rape and sexual assault are okay.  But rather than argue the pro's and con's of Pepe I thought it would be more fun to generate ideas on what might be targeted by the cancel cult.  But first a just a word of warning to all Wokesters and SJW's.  I realize that none of you have any sense of humor nor do you find any joy in life or the burden of sniffing out social injustice everywhere so be warned that I am attempting something lighthearted and nothing that is intended to be serious.  

Sticking to entertainment I ran across some while surfing through the channels for classic TV. 

The Honeymooners - the lead character verbal abuses his wife and on occasion threatens her with violence.

Hogan's Heroes - Nazi's and comedy just don't go together.

Married With Children - the lead male character is a symbol of extreme misogyny.

Three's Company - the male lead pretends to be gay in order to share an apartment with 2 women which leads to lots of homophobic comedy. 

The Three Stooges - gratuitous use of violence (at the time called slap stick comedy) while occasionally negatively stereo-typically portraying racial and ethnic characters

Any show that depicts male/female roles where the man goes to work and the women stays home to tend to the household.  Clearly sexist.

Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck - I'm not sure what's wrong here but there's something about a story about a Rabbit and a Duck that just doesn't seem right.  Same thing goes for that Roadrunner and Coyote.

Scobby Do - that dog better watch his back because I'll be watching and if he so much as blinks an eye inappropriately at anyone his ass is cancelled.

Walt Whitman  Leaves of Grass. It's got gay content. Can't allow that.

Charles Darwin  On the Origin of Species.  Clearly wrong, evolution is anti-God.

Mark Twain  Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.  For the obvious reasons. 

DH Lawrence  Lady Chatterley's Lover.  Pure filth, naturally.

Harry Potter is without question the devil's work. 

James Joyce's Ulysses. There's a scene in which a person has a sexual interlude ... I hesitate to even say this ... without anyone else present. ... Sorry, I just got back from the toilet after vomiting for a couple of hours at the mere thought.

And Tango Makes Three. A book that, shockingly, was written for children. And yet implies that there might be circumstances in which males might be attracted to other ... gulp ... males. 

There are an obvious bunch of others, such as To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, Brave New World, An American Tragedy. These have all been correctly cancelled at one time or another. In a clearly immoral act, some of these cancellations have been uncancelled here and there. This shows obviously the anti-child agenda out there, and how much these people hate America.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:25 PM, B-Man said:

by Brandon Morse

{snip}

good take. I’m sure there a lot of personal truths on why people dislike book banning and censorship or maybe they do fear losing this fictitious white power the woke convinced them they have. There is also a double standard from both sides when it comes to free speech, see anti war or filthy language censorship as a fine historical example  for the Rs. 

It is true the liberal thesis in a nutshell is: Americans that are racist are so because the poorly regulated American culture made it happen not just because they are deplorable aholes. And Washington must rescue us from ourselves. 

Surrounding oneself and subsequently your children with people from diverse backgrounds, is pretty much the only real solution. My children have have extremely diverse social groups and didn’t think of anyone as different until the woke started telling them so and exacerbating racial divide. Which let’s face it, is the real goal. The entire BS game is about tweaking the message aimed at winning a narrow majority to maintain power. The more Vitriol in the chasm between the two sides, the better for them. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

good take. I’m sure there a lot of personal truths on why people dislike book banning and censorship or maybe they do fear losing this fictitious white power the woke convinced them they have. There is also a double standard from both sides when it comes to free speech, see anti war or filthy language censorship as a fine historical example  for the Rs. 

It is true the liberal thesis in a nutshell is: Americans that are racist are so because the poorly regulated American culture made it happen not just because they are deplorable aholes. And Washington must rescue us from ourselves. Political elites, please save us!!

Surrounding oneself and subsequently your children with people from diverse backgrounds, is pretty much the only real solution. My children have have extremely diverse social groups and didn’t think of anyone as different until the woke started telling them so and exacerbating racial divide. Which let’s face it, is the real goal. The entire BS game is about tweaking the message aimed at winning a narrow majority to maintain power. The more Vitriol in the chasm between the two sides, the better for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, Motorin' said:

The decision was made by the Dr. Seuss Foundation, who are the owners of the books. 

There's 45 Dr. Seuss books, now 39 are going to be for sale. 

The conservative backlash to this is almost as funny as as the conservative demands to bring back Mr. Potato(e) Head's penis so they can play with his spud... (Mr. Potato(e) Head never had a penis, dummies.) 

In an unrelated new story, Super Man is an alien from another planet, he isn't a white anglo saxon. But the conservative backlash to the idea that there is going to be a black Super Man is hilarious. 

solid post

• Eyeroll 1