6 Dr. Seuss Books Won't Be Published for Racist Images

T&C

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

REMEMBER WHEN THEY TOLD US THINGS WOULD GET LESS CRAZY IN 2021?

bookswap-600x600.jpg

😆

"They" I think were talking about "crazy politics" from the WH - you know, non-stop tweets spouting conspiracies and voting fraud and barf, barf, vomit....endless churn and drama.

People are crazy 24/7 365 days of the year. You don't have to look too far, plenty of Twidiots and QAnonsense folks out there believing lasers from space are starting forest fires and such.

Just depends if you want to go down the rabbit hole with them.

They stopped print on 6 books made in the early 1900's. Waaaaay to much reactionary drama.

Don't listen to Cardi or her wet v-jj either, but they say sex sells. And there will always be some singer pimping herself out marketing for $$.

Bar seems to get lower every year.

17 hours ago, B-Man said:

Also:

EBAY BANNING SALES OF NOW-FORBIDDEN DR. SEUSS BOOKS.

This isn’t normal or reasonable and don’t let them gaslight you into thinking it is.

This is warped and un-American and the people pushing it should be ashamed.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ebay-dr-seuss-books-listings-removed

While i agree that bans are not good for society, is it not reasonable that a company can decide what they allow and do not allow in their website? I don't like the decision, but it is their decision to make.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

While i agree that bans are not good for society, is it not reasonable that a company can decide what they allow and do not allow in their website? I don't like the decision, but it is their decision to make.

Yes they can and yes that is capitalism.  For example, back in the day when some refused to buy French fries because companies didn’t rename them “freedom fries” I was perfectly happy cruising through Mickey D’s  for my fix.

41 minutes ago, 716er said:

This would be Rand Paul without filtering his transphobia into that mockery on the previous page.

I am stating facts. He dresses in women's clothing.  Still has a penis.  XY chromosomes. Was married (*(his wife smartly divorced him). IS A HE.

13 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I am stating facts. He dresses in women's clothing.  Still has a penis.  XY chromosomes. Was married (*(his wife smartly divorced him). IS A HE.

I work in reproductive medicine, and was for a time the go to person for interviews with one of the local news stations when such subjects came up.  One was the story of the man expecting a baby.  The individual was biologically female (XX) but identified as male.  My response in the interview was that it was not surprising that an individual who is biologically female was having a baby (I put it in more delicate terms than that).

I have seen a number of such patients over the years, and it is not as black and white as some want to make it.  These individuals go through a lot of psychologic trauma.  And sometimes the gender reassignment doesn’t fix that, or in fact can make it worse.

I think surgical intervention should be held off until the patient can consent independent of parents.  If a child identifies with the opposite gender and to be raised as such then appropriate family counseling is very important before one would initiate any hormonal therapy.  As far as transexual involvement in sports, I think if you have not had gender reassignment surgery to remove the testes, and you identify as female, then it seems reasonable to look at testosterone levels to determine eligibility.

10 hours ago, WideNine said:

"They" I think were talking about "crazy politics" from the WH - you know, non-stop tweets spouting conspiracies and voting fraud and barf, barf, vomit....endless churn and drama.

People are crazy 24/7 365 days of the year. You don't have to look too far, plenty of Twidiots and QAnonsense folks out there believing lasers from space are starting forest fires and such.

Just depends if you want to go down the rabbit hole with them.

They stopped print on 6 books made in the early 1900's. Waaaaay to much reactionary drama.

Don't listen to Cardi or her wet v-jj either, but they say sex sells. And there will always be some singer pimping herself out marketing for $$.

Bar seems to get lower every year.

You touch on an important point when you say 'sex sells'.  Of course it does. 

I'll take it one step further:  Just about everything other than a non-drama-filled-day in the life of what was once considered a traditional American family (Dad/Mom/Child/Child/Dog/Happy home) sells.  

Political intrigue:  Pelosi "illegitimate election, coup, Russia", Brennan "Treason!", Mueller "We didn't not find evidence of innocence...", Warren "elections less secure than your Amazon account", and, if you like, Trump "Election was stolen".  

Hostility:  "Lock her up!", "I'd like to take him behind the school libary", "Get in their face".

Nonsensisical stupidity:  "That song that grandma and grandpa love--'Baby it's Cold Outside'-- sounds kinda rapey'---oooh, wait, turn it up--Eminem is singing that love song to Rhianna about tying her to the bed and setting her on fire!".

Boring doesn't sell.  Boring doesn't inspire the masses.  Boring doesn't rile up the emotional that walk amongst us.  Conflict sells, and the reality is there is always someone willing to try and make you feel badly about who you are, what you do, and where you came from.  

I'm in the @dickleyjones camp here.  The truth seems to be that in spite of the narrative, Theodore Geisel had a pretty strong racist streak running through his bones for at least part of his life, at least based on today's standards.  They want to stop producing the book, who cares?  I'm less enamored with the thought of consulting with 'experts' in education and the like because let's be fair, it doesn't take a Dr Jill Biden to look at the pictures in Mulberry Street and know that the characterization of those from foreign lands wasn't particularly empowering.  On the other hand, in the Grinch, there are some butt-ugly whovillites and a strong animal cruelty vibe throughout most of the book.  If we're going to the mat on this one, that should be dealt with as well at some point.

Or, maybe, we could just realize that Theodore Geisel lived in a different time, with different values, different social mores and if he were here today, he probably wouldn't be who he was.  Or, maybe he would just say "See my work, see my thumb, you &^%$ing nitwits, are really %$#@ing dumb".  Who knows? 

As for school boards and the like...well, it seems to me at times those folks have nothing but time on their hands and fervent desire to make themselves relevant by creating controversy where none really exists.  

In the end, today's generation of #loveall/don'tseecolor/menhaveperiods  will be judged as harshly by their children as we are by ours.  That's just the way it is.  If I were a betting man, it would be along the lines of "You talked a lot of crap about peace and love but a cursory glance at the age of social media reveals bigotry, objectification, hatred, anger, intolerance, bullying and the same damn &*^% you complained the old folks were doing'.  Come to think of it, a strong argument could be made that for the haters in this new generation (and lest it go unsaid--there are some amazing people in this crowd as well, I'm a proud father or 3), they are far, far worse than the haters of old just on the ability to reach/target more people.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'll take it one step further:  Just about everything other than a non-drama-filled-day in the life of what was once considered a traditional American family (Dad/Mom/Child/Child/Dog/Happy home) sells.  

Political intrigue:  Pelosi "illegitimate election, coup, Russia", Brennan "Treason!", Mueller "We didn't not find evidence of innocence...", Warren "elections less secure than your Amazon account", and, if you like, Trump "Election was stolen".  

Hostility:  "Lock her up!", "I'd like to take him behind the school libary", "Get in their face".

Nonsensisical stupidity:  "That song that grandma and grandpa love--'Baby it's Cold Outside'-- sounds kinda rapey'---oooh, wait, turn it up--Eminem is singing that love song to Rhianna about tying her to the bed and setting her on fire!".

Boring doesn't sell.  Boring doesn't inspire the masses.  Boring doesn't rile up the emotional that walk amongst us.  Conflict sells, and the reality is there is always someone willing to try and make you feel badly about who you are, what you do, and where you came from.  

I'm in the @dickleyjones camp here.  The truth seems to be that in spite of the narrative, Theodore Geisel had a pretty strong racist streak running through his bones for at least part of his life, at least based on today's standards.  They want to stop producing the book, who cares?  I'm less enamored with the thought of consulting with 'experts' in education and the like because let's be fair, it doesn't take a Dr Jill Biden to look at the pictures in Mulberry Street and know that the characterization of those from foreign lands wasn't particularly empowering.  On the other hand, in the Grinch, there are some butt-ugly whovillites and a strong animal cruelty vibe throughout most of the book.  If we're going to the mat on this one, that should be dealt with as well at some point.

Or, maybe, we could just realize that Theodore Geisel lived in a different time, with different values, different social mores and if he were here today, he probably wouldn't be who he was.  Or, maybe he would just say "See my work, see my thumb, you &^%$ing nitwits, are really %$#@ing dumb".  Who knows? 

As for school boards and the like...well, it seems to me at times those folks have nothing but time on their hands and fervent desire to make themselves relevant by creating controversy where none really exists.  

In the end, today's generation of #loveall/don'tseecolor/menhaveperiods  will be judged as harshly by their children as we are by ours.  That's just the way it is.  If I were a betting man, it would be along the lines of "You talked a lot of crap about peace and love but a cursory glance at the age of social media reveals bigotry, objectification, hatred, anger, intolerance, bullying and the same damn &*^% you complained the old folks were doing'.  Come to think of it, a strong argument could be made that for the haters in this new generation (and lest it go unsaid--there are some amazing people in this crowd as well, I'm a proud father or 3), they are far, far worse than the haters of old just on the ability to reach/target more people.  

Very well stated

22 hours ago, Wacka said:

The term tranny is a term a bigot uses. The fact you care so much about someone's personal sex life and genitalia is awfully creepy. 

21 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Or perhaps someone could just write new children’s books instead of canceling the olds ones. I think we’d all be surprised at some of the songs and books that have passed by the wayside throughout the years. Sounds to me like there’s a HUGE opportunity for a creative author to make millions while teaching kids, etc. The Seuss books aren’t read to kids because they’re racist. They’re read to kids because they’re creative and fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BillStime said:

C’mon @B-Man - you’re so butt hurt over this let’s hear you defend it

As always, there is no real need to answer your crying,

But perhaps your anti Seuss post would be a little more honest if they didn't talk about "will no longer be published"

and then prominently use the horrible "woodpile" cartoon that he wrote for his college magazine at Dartmouth.

Stick to his children's books...................they are more your level of literature.

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

As always, there is no real need to answer your crying,

But perhaps your anti Seuss post would be a little more honest if they didn't talk about "will no longer be published"

and then prominently use the horrible "woodpile" cartoon that he wrote for his college magazine at Dartmouth.

Stick to his children's books...................they are more your level of literature.

CRYING? ME?  LMAO nut job

image.thumb.png.e95cb914e5e33075b125540007ada658.png

And of course you wouldn't acknowledge the racist content.

8 hours ago, BillStime said:

CRYING? ME?  LMAO nut job

And of course you wouldn't acknowledge the racist content.

I did acknowledge it.

I (correctly) pointed out that you were using a very racist picture from his college days...............not a children's book.

But, you either didn't read that or read it and didn't understand it..................either way you look foolish again.

Try and get the meaning behind this satire.

Oh, who am I kidding....😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1