Free Agents We Should Be Looking At

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I wonder do the Bills go after someone like the Chiefs Breeland as their Veteran CB this year? The reason I pick him besides I think he is an upgrade over Norman is: a) he comes from a winner and b) he knows everything about the Chiefs receivers and offense and that is important because we need to beat them twice next year. (once to get home field and likely twice to get into a SB) 

I heard Jags are going to sign 3-4 OL and have a boatload of cap money and are opening the bank to protect Lawrence. 

That'd be smart of them to do that. Bengals showed what happens when you hang your rookie qb out to dry when it comes to the oline. 

On 3/1/2021 at 9:48 PM, wagne591 said:

These are free agents I think the Bills would go after in the open market. The Bills and their front office doesn't over spend on anyone (not even their own) and they seem to find players who have to prove something or if they don't they can go find another job. The Bills are also an organization that most players want to come play for. So here are my thoughts on some free agents we should be looking for and not the high priced guys that you would get into a bidding war with. My list is in no particular order.

Jadeveon Clowney (DE) Sportrac has his value at 6.5M a year. We could sign him to a 1 year prove it deal like we did with Jordan Philips after we got him from Miami. Clowney would replace Murphy who would cost a little more then Murph but is 2 years younger and has a lot more talent he just needs a kick in the butt and with our Defensive Coaching staff they just might be able to do it. 

Ndamukong Suh (DT) Sportrac has his value at 6.8M a year. I would cut Jefferson and Butler and sign this guy for a couple years. I know he is at the end of his career but can you imagine Suh and Star in the middle of our D-line. Them two alone would clog up four O-linemen and leave our ends and LB's room to roam and make plays. If I did this I would also draft a big bodied DT for a space eater to learn how to maneuver and handle double teams in the NFL behind those two. Plus he would bring some attitude to our line which needs it.

Solomon Thomas (DE) Sportrac has his value at 5.6M a year. This guy reminds me of Jerry Hughes coming over from Indy when we got him. A new environment might be good for this dude and he is young 25 years old. Affordable, and he was a round 1 # 3 overall pick in 17'. I just think he played at Stanford then drafted by SF....same area maybe a change of scenery might help him focus. 

I would also try to sign our own like D Williams and Flaciano for our O-line; and I would love to get Milano back but I don't see that happening. 

I doubt ANY of these guys interest the Bills. Clooney under-performs and isn't a great pass rusher. You aren't going to sign Suh when you have Star. Thomas hasn't done much and is coming off ACL injury.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:09 AM, mjt328 said:

Despite what people think, the Bills front office is not trying to make a carbon-copy of the Carolina Panthers.

With our GM and HC both from that organization, there are obviously going to be similarities.  But over the years they have learned what works and what doesn't.  They are clearly trying to do their own thing here.

Josh Allen became a Top 5 quarterback in 2020.  That was the main reason for our success on offense.  If you don't believe he can replicate that going forward, then yeah.. maybe we were playing over our heads.  But personally, I don't see any reason to believe he's going to step back as his career progresses.  I've heard many state that Allen is possibly the most physically gifted QB to ever enter the NFL.  The question was if he could develop that talent, and he's clearly doing that.  

On defense, we lack a big-name All-Pro talent on the Front 7.  No disagreements there.  But I would also say that Buffalo's secondary (Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde) has more talent than anything Sean McDermott had on his defense in Carolina.  

Very few teams can boast more than 3-4 elite guys on their roster.  The Chiefs are considered the absolute class of the league, and they basically have Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill and maybe Chris Jones that you can put in that elite category.  The Bucs won the Super Bowl.  Their elite guys are basically Tom Brady, and maybe Mike Evans and Shaq Barrett.  The Bills have Allen, Stephon Diggs and Tre White as elite players.  Like Kansas City and Tampa, we have very few holes, solid/good starters at most positions and strong depth on the sideline.  Bottom line, we really aren't far behind anyone in the NFL in talent.

Yah, but if I believe what your sayin, I won’t be able to spend time this off season being overtly  worried/concerned about the teams personnel decisions,  I’m just gonna say it now,  we’re dooooooomed...

😁

Go Bills!!!

On 3/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, The Governor said:

We are way lacking in talent. The process can only get you so far. We need 3 or 4 great players added to this team. How?

The second or third best team in the NFL is lacking talent...lol

On 3/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Not only are we lacking a replacement for Murphy but Jerry isn't exactly young anymore. Who knows how AJE develops?  We almost need 2 edge rushers. I know Ngakoue will cost us but you all saw how Tampa beat KC.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, The Governor said:

I totally agree. I didn’t think Hughes would still be on the team last season. I expected to already have upgraded there. 

How exactly has Jerry Hughes regressed? I have not seen it, even at his age.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Hughes isn't getting double digit sacks like he did earlier in his career and for much of the early season he seemed a step slower. He's good but not great. I don't mind keeping him for leadership and he can get to the QB on occasion. He's similar to Addison and I might be in minority but I keep both and then sign an UFA and draft a kid in the mid rounds to maybe compete. The UFA I like the most is Dawuane Smoot as I don't think he'd break the bank but think he's starting to come into his own. 

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

Ngakoue sucks against the run but does force turnovers.  I question if we need to fork over big money for a guy who is fairly one dimensional when there are 4-5 other really good young age pass rushing options on the market this year at a $5-6mil less lower price (Okwara, Carl Lawson, Henrickson) and we will likely need another DE in a year or 2. 

Don't forget to include Dawuane Smoot in the lower cost option guys who could be worth adding. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hughes isn't getting double digit sacks like he did earlier in his career and for much of the early season he seemed a step slower. He's good but not great. I don't mind keeping him for leadership and he can get to the QB on occasion. He's similar to Addison and I might be in minority but I keep both and then sign an UFA and draft a kid in the mid rounds to maybe compete. The UFA I like the most is Dawuane Smoot as I don't think he'd break the bank but think he's starting to come into his own. 

Don't forget to include Dawuane Smoot in the lower cost option guys who could be worth adding. 

Smoot wouldn't be a sexy signing, but he would be a good and very affordable addition.

As for Hughes, I understand that he's not getting double digit sacks, yet he is still a force as a pass rusher. Some people see him as a liability and I don't.

I would be fine with keeping Addison too, but he has to take a pay cut.

28 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The UFA I like the most is Dawuane Smoot as I don't think he'd break the bank but think he's starting to come into his own. 

Good find that has been under the radar....

They could do a lot worse... only problem will be getting them away from money bags Jags if they want to keep him... couldn’t go much higher than $12m 2 years... 

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The definition of regressing according to Webster's is going from 10 sacks to averaging 5 sacks over the last 6 years.  Add in carte blanche holding on Jerry every game because of his history with the refs and you have "regressing".....it's ok, it happens to all of us when we get older. 

I’d like to see us re-sign Isaiah McKenzie and maybe go after Dede Westbrook to round out that WR room. Kyle Rudolph would be a good option at TE, I think he would instantly come in and start and provide production. Wouldn’t mind a high ceiling/low cost option at DE like Taco Charlton. I think he has untapped potential. Ultimately I hope we don’t spend a whole lot..

I'm usually an anti-Pats players, but lately i notice  Lawrence Guy is FA, he is a player that could push  players around him, my concern is that he is able to play in Buffalo's defensive scheme.