Free Agents We Should Be Looking At

These are free agents I think the Bills would go after in the open market. The Bills and their front office doesn't over spend on anyone (not even their own) and they seem to find players who have to prove something or if they don't they can go find another job. The Bills are also an organization that most players want to come play for. So here are my thoughts on some free agents we should be looking for and not the high priced guys that you would get into a bidding war with. My list is in no particular order.

Jadeveon Clowney (DE) Sportrac has his value at 6.5M a year. We could sign him to a 1 year prove it deal like we did with Jordan Philips after we got him from Miami. Clowney would replace Murphy who would cost a little more then Murph but is 2 years younger and has a lot more talent he just needs a kick in the butt and with our Defensive Coaching staff they just might be able to do it. 

Ndamukong Suh (DT) Sportrac has his value at 6.8M a year. I would cut Jefferson and Butler and sign this guy for a couple years. I know he is at the end of his career but can you imagine Suh and Star in the middle of our D-line. Them two alone would clog up four O-linemen and leave our ends and LB's room to roam and make plays. If I did this I would also draft a big bodied DT for a space eater to learn how to maneuver and handle double teams in the NFL behind those two. Plus he would bring some attitude to our line which needs it.

Solomon Thomas (DE) Sportrac has his value at 5.6M a year. This guy reminds me of Jerry Hughes coming over from Indy when we got him. A new environment might be good for this dude and he is young 25 years old. Affordable, and he was a round 1 # 3 overall pick in 17'. I just think he played at Stanford then drafted by SF....same area maybe a change of scenery might help him focus. 

I would also try to sign our own like D Williams and Flaciano for our O-line; and I would love to get Milano back but I don't see that happening. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Assuming Star is coming back and if he does he's to expensive to cut, I think we have enough players inside.  Edge is where we're lacking.

If we truly were in the running for Watt, that tells me Beane was willing to go close to $15 mil.  Maybe didn't want to go quite that high for Watt and that's why he's now in Az.  But that tells me he wasn't totally out of the price range so I'd go for the top DE's out there.  At his age Watt may not be worth $15 mil, but there are some that are, and if Beane was willing to go to  $12 or $13 mil, I'm sure he'd go a couple more for a younger better player.  The only worry is who will ultimately be available on March 17th.  Won't be shocked to see some of the top talent gets re-signed by then.

• Like (+1) 3

The Bills and their front office doesn't over spend on anyone 

Sorry, I'm calling non-sense on this one.  Beane has two flaws. He overspends in FA and he gives up too many draft picks moving up in the draft.

Star, Murphy, Morse, Klein, Matakevich, Kroft, Gore, and Norman are just a few FAs that were grossly overpaid.  

The Brown and Beasley deals seemed to be market competitive deals.  And despite the lack of production, at the time the deals for Jefferson, Addison, and Butler seemed ok.  Hyde and Poyer were signed before Beane joined the team.  

1 hour ago, The Governor said:

We are way lacking in talent. The process can only get you so far. We need 3 or 4 great players added to this team. How?

They are not that far off.  Losing Williams and Milano will create some holes for sure. They need to bring back Williams, get Ford healthy, let Knox continue to develop and add two pass rushers.  If Williams walks they will have enough cap space to find on pass rusher in FA and then add an OT in the draft

• Like (+1) 5

I truly believe this team has been over performing and I’m worried that it won’t last.

We need the best FA DE we can find, draft the best LB available and even trade back up for a RB if need be, and call it a day. I’m also worried about Star.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Governor said:

I truly believe this team has been over performing and I’m worried that it won’t last.

We need the best FA DE we can find, draft the best LB available and even trade back up for a RB if need be, and call it a day. I’m also worried about Star.

On what grounds?  We had one of the tougher schedules in football.  Josh is only going to get better plus our team was not very healthy heading into the playoffs.  

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Glass half empty type of guy? I think the majority of fans were kinda waiting for this team to fail and break our hearts, and I get it, that was "On Brand" for bills teams of the past. I would be lying if I wasn't worried half way through the season that the wheels would fall off, but this team proved they could sustain a season of success, I really think this team is built for the long haul. Enjoy the ride man.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Over performing? Never really thought of it that way. If anything I thought Edmunds, Epenesa, Hyde, Zack Moss, Dawson Knox, etc. were underperforming. This team should upgrade anywhere it can (especially at RB) because that's what good teams do but this isn't a team of average players playing above their heads right now. There's a lot of talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, The Governor said:

We are way lacking in talent. The process can only get you so far. We need 3 or 4 great players added to this team. How?

13-3 division champs and a run to the AFCCG and we are way lacking in talent. Yes they suck blow it up and start from scratch.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

Over performing? Never really thought of it that way. If anything I thought Edmunds, Epenesa, Hyde, Zack Moss, Dawson Knox, etc. were underperforming. This team should upgrade anywhere it can (especially at RB) because that's what good teams do but this isn't a team of average players playing above their heads right now. There's a lot of talent.

I really just don’t see it. I think the offense was obviously playing over their heads and the coaching did a great job of hiding the lack of talent on defense. I lived in Carolina all of those years and there’s no resemblance at all. 

Who is the Julius Peppers of this defense? Who is the Charles Johnson of this defense? Those D lines were absolutely dominant. We don’t have ANY of those pieces. I would send BOTH of our LB’s packing tomorrow. We aren’t close on defense at all if the model is Carolina.

I think a few posters here recently hit it right on the head. We don’t just need an edge guy. Those Carolina defenses had outstanding pressure and sacks coming from up the middle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

In regards to the notion that the team over-performed in 2020:  Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs had career-best years (I'm not saying career years because both are young and have a good chance to perform at that level or better).  Beasley had a career year. I don't think anyone else had a career best or career year (never to be duplicated). So by definition you cannot have 3 players at peak performance and 50 at or below their potential and say they over performed. Maybe if you want to add a 4th you can include Bojorquez, but for a guy who punted 41 times I don't think that puts the team in the over perform category.

Spending in free agency:  The nature of free agency (open bidding on players) is that way more times than not a player is overpaid. It's just the way it is. Every team misses on free agents. Murphy and Kroft were misses, the others, particularly Morse, Star, Brown, maybe Matakevich, have been productive but probably overpaid by varying degrees. You have to be good in the draft, undrafted free agents, etc. and get value so it gives you some leeway in free agency to probably overspend a bit.

It's like your own personal budget, if you have some level of discretionary income there are things that you purchase that are a value but there are things you want a little more and are willing to overspend on them, whether it's cars, your house, maybe you're into wine, heck even sporting event tickets. You afford yourself those luxuries because you're good with your money on other things. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think Josh Allen carried the team to that record and got them to the divisional playoff game. I mean look at his numbers. They got incredible QB play throughout the entire season. If he had an off game the team was basically ***** because they don't really have a roster capable of picking him up.

Allen is elite. There are quite a few starting spots that have players that are either disappointing or just meh. 

They definitely need to improve on both sides of the ball. Defensively they weren't as good in 2020 as in years past. Offensively they struggled to run the ball all year. With that said the Bills do have the franchise QB, and a solid receiving corps. To make it say the Bills are "way far" away makes them sound like the Jets.  I really hope Beane focuses on building the lines on both sides of the ball. They have good players at the skill positions but if they can improve the lines then I think this team has a Super Bowl run in them with a good chance to win a championship.  Better pass rush and better run blocking  are the key for next season.

8 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Glass half empty type of guy? I think the majority of fans were kinda waiting for this team to fail and break our hearts, and I get it, that was "On Brand" for bills teams of the past. I would be lying if I wasn't worried half way through the season that the wheels would fall off, but this team proved they could sustain a season of success, I really think this team is built for the long haul. Enjoy the ride man.

Not a glass empty type of guy - a dribble glass kind of guy.

religion-wine-drinking-drinkers-pastor-m