So do a Diggs type deal this year for a DE?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why all this pressure to get a DE?  We were 6th in QB pressures and second only to Pitt in speed to getting to the QB last season.

WE NEED BEEF.  We were often dominated in the trenches and need to beef up the interior DL rotation.

We also need a LB if Milano isn’t coming back, especially one who can cover a TE and middle of the field.  

We have higher priorities than DE.  I am not saying we couldn’t benefit from an upgrade to the pass rush, but it’s not our biggest problem on defense and we have a young player who showed promise there that was a 2nd round pick last year.

Beef on DL, LB, starting DB opposite Tre, and stopping the run are bigger needs and we have limited space to work with.  But all I see on this board is people focusing just on getting a pass rushing DE.

If all we do is add a different DE to this D and replace Addison, our defense won’t be any better.  

We can walk and chew gum at the same time here......Shelvin would be a great draft pick (he was my second round pick in my mock)

9 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

What we need to do is get after the QB!

Of course we do, we were what #6 in QB pressures or something like that. Our linebackers are too soft and our interior DL is too soft. I welcome a pass rusher any day of the week but I'm not sure it's our #1 defensive issue.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

we will be adding Lotuleilei also, no?

Yeah, but what does he have left at his age after missing a year?  Thats my concern to be honest.  I would rather sign someone where we can rotate the DT's in effectively then just lean on Star at this point. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, but what does he have left at his age after missing a year?  Thats my concern to be honest.  I would rather sign someone where we can rotate the DT's in effectively then just lean on Star at this point. 

I am petrified he is going to show up out of shape and 400 pounds

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why cant both be an offseason need?

How did those QB pressures influence the Championship game? Mahomes could have rolled himself a smoke before he had to pass the ball and that was with a beat up OL.

They need to at least get younger at DE.. Addison and Hughes might be both gone by 2022...

Well we drafted a DE in the 2nd round last year who started earning more playing time and showed progress and potential.  

And we got dominated by KC not because of lack of pass rush, but because we could not remotely cover Kelce or Hill and were manhandled in the trenches.  

People dont realize how much the interior DL impacts the ability for DE's to get to the QB.  When you dont have to double team in the middle, it allows for more blockers on the edge to negate the pass rush.  

We were frequently dominated in the middle of our D all year.  

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I've seen this sentiment a few times but Star is known as a first in, last out kind of guy at the workout room. It's one of the reasons the Bills signed him. The notion that he is lazy or out of shape is a total myth and I don't know where it started.

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We can walk and chew gum at the same time here......Shelvin would be a great draft pick (he was my second round pick in my mock)

We dont have the cap room for this anymore.  

More pressing upgrades or holes to fill include:  LB (Milano or someone else), DT, CB opposite Tre, TE, OL.  We dont have the cap room to chase quality signings at DE and not be forced to fill in the other holes with average guys.

Again, 6th in the NFL in QB pressures last year.  But where do you think we ranked at defending the TE?  How about stopping the run?  How about the QB rating throwing at a DB not named Tre?  How was our TE production?  How about our run stopping?  

I will give you a hint...all considerably lower.  Again, not saying that the pass rush couldn't benefit from an upgrade, but DE are not cheap, at least ones that are better than what we have for this next season.  Look at how much money Watt got, and he didnt have more sacks than our own guys last year, he only had 5.  Not to mention we have a young guy in AJE who we just invested a 2nd round pick into and started showing promise as the season wore on.  

We cant afford to pay a lot of money to get a couple more sacks a season.  People are obsessed with sack totals, yet that is literally just a few plays over an entire season.  We got pressure on the QB last year, what we need to do now is stop the run, cover a TE, and cover the receivers not being covered by Tre.  

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, its a valid concern until anyone sees what kind of shape he is in.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well we drafted a DE in the 2nd round last year who started earning more playing time and showed progress and potential.  

And we got dominated by KC not because of lack of pass rush, but because we could not remotely cover Kelce or Hill and were manhandled in the trenches.  

People dont realize how much the interior DL impacts the ability for DE's to get to the QB.  When you dont have to double team in the middle, it allows for more blockers on the edge to negate the pass rush.  

We were frequently dominated in the middle of our D all year.  

Kelce and Hill will get open if Mahomes has time to allow them too.. we saw what the opposite looks like in the SB..

Look, I agree with you .. updgrade the DL too..

But they might have two holes to fill on the DE this year with Murphy moving on , and perhaps Addison getting cut so I think its reasonable to discuss who may replace them

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Kelce and Hill will get open if Mahomes has time to allow them too.. we saw what the opposite looks like in the SB..

But they might have two holes to fill on the DE this year with Murphy moving on , and perhaps Addison getting cut so I think its reasonable to discuss who may replace them

If you rewatch the SB and focus on the David vs. Kelce match-up you will see the fact that David destroyed Kelce off the line helped the pass rush more than the other way around. 

Not to beat a dead horse because I'm all for another pass rusher but if you don't fix our interior DL and get a physical LB (maybe Edmunds can do it and we get a new MLB idk) it won't matter much who is coming off the edge against Mahomes and teams like that.

2 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

If you rewatch the SB and focus on the David vs. Kelce match-up you will see the fact that David destroyed Kelce off the line helped the pass rush more than the other way around. 

Not to beat a dead horse because I'm all for another pass rusher but if you don't fix our interior DL and get a physical LB (maybe Edmunds can do it and we get a new MLB idk) it won't matter much who is coming off the edge against Mahomes and teams like that.

I think the TB pass rush helped itself plenty.. Mahomes was running for his life..

I'll agree that the D needs help in a few areas..  They dont seem that interested  moving Edmunds from what I see...

From 2020 to 20201, the DL needs to transition from the nonsense of needing an 8-9 man rotation that sucks up cap dollars to one which can pressure QBs. 

It's beyond me why a middling DL costs 51M+ for players who can't get to the QB or stop the run.  Fortunately, it appears there's a decent crop of UFA rushers available. 

They'll need some pieces at LB and CB, although those should be value types and not the big contract types. 

Aside from that, the offense must again be the priority.  Another Butler or Jefferson type DL isn't going to equate to much in W's anyway.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think the TB pass rush helped itself plenty.. Mahomes was running for his life..

I'll agree that the D needs help in a few areas..  They dont seem that interested  moving Edmunds from what I see...

It definitely did, look I think Tampas defense had one of the all time playoff runs at all 3 levels just to be clear, I credit most of it to Devin White. 

With that said though if you watch what David did to Kelce its hard to say the pass rush helped him there. Kelce could barely get off the LoS and when he did he was late on the route leaving Mahomes with no go-to outlet hence the running for his life.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I am not opposed to it, I am just more concerned with other areas and having the cap space to make the most important upgrades.  My biggest issue with DE is how much they cost to upgrade.  I also think AJE is quite promising, and I would rather see him start opposite Hughes and let Addison rotate in.  

I also think we need a quality player at LB as I don't think Milano will be back.  I would be happy to see him stay, but I just don't think Beane will be pay what Milano is going to look for.  

So I see a certain hole at DB opposite Tre and a probably hole at LB right now, with a major mystery at DT as we don't know what to except from Star at his age and missing a year.  Where at DE, I see guys who got pressure on the QB and a young guy that should play a lot more snaps this year.  Also, with Star back or some other Beef, guys like Jefferson can play their more suited position too and contribute to the rotation.  

Thats all I am saying really.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree we need a better pass rush, but you also have to stop the run game.  You simply cannot get gashed there or we will get beaten like we did against KC and Tenn this year.  you can't be a total sieve.  That said, I think we can draft some 1T's to help in run stopping.  And developmental Edge players who can contain and eventually pass rush, while spending FA money on impact pass rushers.  Bonus: there are 1T's that generate pass-rush pressure.  

If we have to emphasize anything over the next 2 years it's our front 4. And the majority of the FA $ needs to be better allocated in that direction. We'll need 2 edge rushers and 1 tech guys. I only see Star playing one more season.

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree we need a better pass rush, but you also have to stop the run game.  You simply cannot get gashed there or we will get beaten like we did against KC and Tenn this year.  you can't be a total sieve.  That said, I think we can draft some 1T's to help in run stopping.  And developmental Edge players who can contain and eventually pass rush, while spending FA money on impact pass rushers.  Bonus: there are 1T's that generate pass-rush pressure.  

If we have to emphasize anything over the next 2 years it's our front 4. And the majority of the FA $ needs to be better allocated in that direction. We'll need 2 edge rushers and 1 tech guys. I only see Star playing one more season.

• Like (+1) 1