So do a Diggs type deal this year for a DE?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Any thoughts on a player we might be able to throw our 30th pick to for a quality DE that makes a immediate impact for us?

I think it's more likely we sign a somewhat bigger FA.  There are a bunch of quality FA available at DE.

47 minutes ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

update: talked to a buddy of mine whos an AZ fan and yeah this dude is solid and a playmaker.  im into this move

I'm unfamiliar, but I'd be down with it. 

I would be floating that 1st rounder or 2nd for someone like Fletcher Cox, I would consider targeting Cameron Jordan in New Orleans. Not everyone has to cost a first rounder though. 
Normally I’d like to target teams hurting with the cap but it seems a lot of teams will be hurting this year. Not a lot of seller teams right now though I don’t think. 

I thought Denver had the best steal last offseason grabbing Jurrel Casey from Tennessee for like a 7th. Guy is a monster he just got hurt early. 

I also realize I’m not targeting purely edge guys, I think more pressure up the middle is key to this defense. If the price was right I’d go get Cox, sign short and Casey to pair them all with 91. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

Washington is a team I could see willing to deal one of their young Defensive Linemen for a 1st round pick.  They desperately need a QB and could use more draft ammo to move up from pick 19.  Also not sure how they’ll be able to pay all 4 of those guys when they come due.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

update: talked to a buddy of mine whos an AZ fan and yeah this dude is solid and a playmaker.  im into this move

He is a play maker,  invest in a dude who is 26 and can make plays and now the Bills are not forced to resign Tremaine Edmunds next offseason for huge bucks.  13 sacks last season and has elite play making speed.  I don't think the Cardinals could now afford him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They thought they had a HC too.  

Also, their D has gotten worse since 2018.

Their drive averages are still top 10.

There’s a reason Chicago was in on Brady. They are a pretty good team missing a QB.

2 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I don't disagree with you that a good defense is a great offense.  During our glory years with our juggernaut offenses, our "bend but don't break" defense wasn't legendary, but we had HOF type talent at every level: Bruce on the line, Biscuit AND Talley at LB, Odomes in the secondary....

But time and time again its been PROVEN that in the big show, its a stellar defense that can pave the way to hoist the Lombardi.  I know you said it was only one game last year, but it was THE game!!  Tampa's D shut down one of the most prolific offenses to grace the field!  They made a half a billion dollar quarterback look like a journeyman....

Yup. All four SuperBowls and even a bunch of the AFC playoff games the Bills super offense was stopped.  What did they beat the Broncos 10-7 for one of the Championship games. Everyone remembers 51-3 and the comeback game, but there were low scoring games too.

The answer isn't defense. The answer is pass rush. They already have a secondary that is good enough. They need to improve the pass rush. I don’t care one bit about stopping the run game and neither does the NFL.

2 hours ago, costrovs said:

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, so I'll end it here.

I wasn't arguing with you. Just based on your post, I figured you'd rather go offense instead of defense at 30. Specifically, a play-maker. And that only leaves one option, a RB. And for the record, I'd be ecstatic if we got either Etienne, Harris, or Williams at 30. 👍

Williams is creeping up the board but at 30 he is still a slight reach BUT!! I am very high on Etienne and Harris. I think those 2 are future stars in this league... and yes I know me saying this is crystal globe territory but that being said.. I think Williams high end is a high tier 2 RB. Not Tier 1. A top 3 Edge, OLB, T is there? I think we would pick one of those before Williams and would be ok with that. what do we need more.. a T2 Edge, OLB or T? or Tier 2 RB?

I think FA will answer many of these questions but for now... Its a question.

3 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Invest in Offense over Defense. 

NFL Defense in Year 2021 and beyond is a mirage - it comes and goes. Do not be fooled by 1 game (the Super Bowl).

Your best defense is a great offense. If your offense is staying on the field and scoring at will, your defense just needs to be good enough.

The Bills Offense in 2020 was not good enough versus the Chiefs in both games, not even close actually.

OFFENSE needs to be the primary focus.

I hate this. Every part of it.

Every single time someone tries to argue that one matters and the other doesn’t we get a brand new example of why that’s not true. The Chiefs lost because the Bucs defense shellacked them. The 49ers lost because their defense wasn’t enough vs the Chiefs offense. It’s not either or. It’s both. It always has been and always will be. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Invest in Offense over Defense. 

NFL Defense in Year 2021 and beyond is a mirage - it comes and goes. Do not be fooled by 1 game (the Super Bowl).

Your best defense is a great offense. If your offense is staying on the field and scoring at will, your defense just needs to be good enough.

The Bills Offense in 2020 was not good enough versus the Chiefs in both games, not even close actually.

OFFENSE needs to be the primary focus.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think just as the league is becoming more and more a passing league, I think the league also becomes an defensive organic pressure on the qb league. I agree you need a high powered offense but if your having a shoot out and your D can disrupt or at the least make an opposing qb uncomfortable in the pocket with just front 4 and no blitz thats a massive advantage.

well, not that watt is gone, my dream offseason is to trade a first and possibly even a future pick for the super RB in carolina.  i know it's a pipe dream and won't happen, but you throw him on the O, and we might be harder to stop than KC.

i say we throw cash at a pass rusher in FA, cut some dorks who didn't produce last year, sign williams at RT, cut morse and brown, sign mongo and move him to C, draft a good OG, and get OLB (if that's not who our pass rush singing is), cb2, and TE in the draft.

we'd have to wiggle a bit to get it all under the cap, but i think we can do it.  if we don't trade for mccaffery, etiene or whoever could be the guy to be the 1 to moss's 2, im really not certain on one player over another.  i'd assume we could get OG in the 1st and RB in the 2nd.

11 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Travis Etienne.

"But he's a RB"

It's the 30th pick in the draft. I'm ok at that spot with investing in a weapon, not a runner - in the mold of Alvin Kamara. Etienne is much better than CEH btw. Catch-first, run-2nd RB with home run ability in both facets.

When the WRs spread the field and clear out room underneath, a simple swing pass to Alvin Kamara 2.0 will result in 15-20 yard 1st downs. This element (dynamic receiving RB who can also keep defenses honest running the ball) is a huge missing piece of the offense.

Etienne will also take some runs to the house. Those home run plays in the run game will alter the defense, as well.

He's also the perfect fit in a Pass-First Offense. He doesn't waste time in the backfield moving laterally, he just cuts upfield.

Yeah, I could live with that!

It can't really be argued that Tampas D was the difference in the SB.

The trouble is, KC had no O-Line of any real sort.

When using generalizations, people seem to be blithely overlooking that fact.

It's also true that the Tampa D-Line is pretty darn good, but one wonders how good they would have looked if KC had had their starting O-Line going against them.

Now that's a game worth watching, whereas it quickly became obvious, that the last SB wasn't.

1 hour ago, colin said:

well, not that watt is gone, my dream offseason is to trade a first and possibly even a future pick for the super RB in carolina.  i know it's a pipe dream and won't happen, but you throw him on the O, and we might be harder to stop than KC.

i say we throw cash at a pass rusher in FA, cut some dorks who didn't produce last year, sign williams at RT, cut morse and brown, sign mongo and move him to C, draft a good OG, and get OLB (if that's not who our pass rush singing is), cb2, and TE in the draft.

we'd have to wiggle a bit to get it all under the cap, but i think we can do it.  if we don't trade for mccaffery, etiene or whoever could be the guy to be the 1 to moss's 2, im really not certain on one player over another.  i'd assume we could get OG in the 1st and RB in the 2nd.

🤔 People don't want overpay to Watt, but you overpay Carolina in order to get McCafrey 🤔🤔🤔 then you want a G with the same 1st you used to get him.

Just now, poblano said:

🤔 People don't want overpay to Watt, but you overpay Carolina in order to get McCafrey 🤔🤔🤔 then you want a G with the same 1st you used to get him.

For crying out loud, it's the last line you quoted dude:

if we don't trade for mccaffery, etiene or whoever could be the guy to be the 1 to moss's 2, im really not certain on one player over another.  i'd assume we could get OG in the 1st and RB in the 2nd.

if, IF, we don't trade for mccaffery, we can get an OG in the 1st.  if we traded our first, i think it's rather evident that we wouldn't be able to use it on an OG.

I think we are fine at RB.  Moss showed promise at end of year.  Singletary will be highly motivated next year or he’ll be playing on a vet minimum deal.  Add a low priced vet like Marlin Mack as competition and that’s a solid RB group.  Tight End is the biggest need on offense assuming we re-sign Williams at RT.