Critters and Car Wiring

TSNBDSC

Some critter on a cold, rainy, windy day found a nice warm spot in my car and then feasted on my electrical wiring ! Mechanic spent all day soldering and rewiring the damage. Replacing the wiring bus would have been expensive. Heard moth balls will keep them away. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have a little toy car I keep in the garage all winter. Last year a mouse nested up under the hood and luckily only disconnect a tube for the wiper fluid pump.

Put some mousetraps around the garage this year, and now you’ve reminded me to check the traps and to also check under the hood!

Chipmunk made a nest in tailpipe of one of cars we have not been using very often since I am working from home.

On a cold rainy day I needed to use that car for medical appointment so I took it.  There was a warning on dash and car sputtered getting to appointment but it was close so able to get there.  After appointment I found remains of nest and dead chipmunk.

If only I could get rid of the tree rats (that is what Chinese call squirrels) as easily.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Chipmunk made a nest in tailpipe of one of cars we have not been using very often since I am working from home.

On a cold rainy day I needed to use that car for medical appointment so I took it.  There was a warning on dash and car sputtered getting to appointment but it was close so able to get there.  After appointment I found remains of nest and dead chipmunk.

If only I could get rid of the tree rats (that is what Chinese call squirrels) as easily.

He fell for the old chipmunk in the tailpipe. Nice going Taggart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

When we lived in a loft in SF it came with one space.  Being the nice chivalrous guy I am I took that and had my wife park in the open lot behind the loft.  😁 Anyway we were walking back from dinner one day and we looked over just in time to see a rat scurry along and climb up the wheel well of her car and into the engine.  Freaked her out!  That’s when we learned the critters liked to gnaw on the electrical wires. Well we moved her car to a cleaner garage across the street and she felt much safer. 

About five years ago I got back from a two week trip for work.  Got dropped off late at night to pick up my car from the office. Start it up and had some errors show up on the dash.  Nothing that would keep me from driving it thankfully.  A few days later I dropped it off at the dealer to be looked at.  They sent me these pictures a couple hours later....

2015-07-01 15 55 17 - Jeff Wells - IMG_4142.JPG

2015-07-01 15 55 17 - Jeff Wells - IMG_4143.JPG

Edited by Just Jack
  • Angry 1

On 3/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Yep. Especially if car is stored outside (no garage). Just lost a car to a fully involved “mouse feast”. Mechanic showed me the wiring for the dash. All f’d up. 

Sorry to hear!

Put some DECON under the hood.  If a mouse touches your wiring over those "mice Snickers bars" they are insane in the membrane.   Just remember they're there so they don't go flying around in the fan! 🤣🤣

House wiring can get nasty too.  Code here has to have wiring in conduit/EMT... No Romex... Why there are strict codes in populated areas. Insurance companies want to COLLECT your premium money, NOT pay claims.  Then there's Texas and the "cheap" South. They don't build anything to last down there. 🤨🙃😉

^^^Thank you!  That was my NOT so veiled social commentary against the Dirty South and Insurance companies. 😆

On 3/1/2021 at 6:07 PM, TSNBDSC said:

Some critter on a cold, rainy, windy day found a nice warm spot in my car and then feasted on my electrical wiring ! Mechanic spent all day soldering and rewiring the damage. Replacing the wiring bus would have been expensive. Heard moth balls will keep them away. 

Wouldn't your Auto Insurance or homeowner's cover it?

You want your car smell like ammonia? Or... A return trip back from the Mother Inlaw's house... 😆

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sorry to hear!

Put some DECON under the hood.  If a mouse touches your wiring over those "mice Snickers bars" they are insane in the membrane.   Just remember they're there so they don't go flying around in the fan! 🤣

Mouse eats decon.

Mouse makes his way to the Batten Kill, where he ends up dying in the water.

Rat poison pollutes an otherwise clean body of water.

@BringBackFergy and Son go trout fishing in said body of water.

Sadly, we know how this one ends.

You are an evil man and have no right defending our waterways.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/1/2021 at 7:07 PM, TSNBDSC said:

This is super common in Germany.

The culprit is usually what Germans call a Marder.  Or what we would call a Marten.

One of these little bastards left me without a car one year down in the middle of nowhere in Bavaria.

Martes_martes_crop.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Mouse eats decon.

His irresponsible behavior affects the lives of millions; yet we pay him top dollar (and bennies) to work 15 hours per/week. Sad commentary on our society.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

His irresponsible behavior affects the lives of millions; yet we pay him top dollar (and bennies) to work 15 hours per/week. Sad commentary on our society.

No matter where we sit on the political spectrum, I think it's universally known that the biggest example of government waste is the ACOE.

I can't believe our taxes fund that crap.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Mouse eats decon.

Over-reaching tree hugger logic...

I am pretty sure the DECON embalms them,  dries them out..  Pick your poison.   One of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse: Pestilence or some overreacting theory about dead mice polluting our rambunctious garden. Keep the enviro hysterics alive! 😏 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am pretty sure the DECON embalms them,  dries them out..  Pick your poison.   One of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse: Pestilence or some overreacting theory about dead mice polluting our rambunctious garden. Keep the enviro hysterics alive! 😏 

After eating the DECON, it takes rodents 4-5 days to die.

They don't just stay where they ate it.

Funny timing of this thread. We just had a chipmunk get into my wife's car this week.

Left the wiring alone, but chewed up the toddler's car seat and the stroller in the trunk real bad! So now we have to replace both of those. Which is nice, since they are so cheap 🙄

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

15 hrs/week?   I heard he doesn't like to work overtime.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's why they seek water.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.