Texans coaching staff on Watt - bitter or truthful?

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The Rams were inconsistent last year

Only on offense.  They have a terrific defense, and they went out and got Stafford.  They are my NFC West favorites.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, bobobonators said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3e55208aa22f2937df767ed1ba0a878b.jpeg

image.jpeg.33e0fb1a7324093c3bce0051451b2e04.jpeg

NFL training facilities and coaches are one thing - tripling in size in 10yrs has nothing to do with either. 

i dont care if players use PEDs, since im sure its more common than is let on by the NFL.

That's a terrible argument. In high school, I was 135lbs at 6' as a sophomore. By my senior year, I was 215lbs and pretty muscular. I didn't do a diet regimen, but I did start lifting some, not any extreme amount.

Also, Watt was a TE in high school and at CMU. He transferred to Wisconsin and moved to the DLine, which is asking for a different body type. 

I'm not saying steroid use is impossible in the NFL, but you can't make the statement that it's rampant and then literally have no evidence back it up other than to say it's well known.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t believe it

Yah i'm calling BS, after all the crap that the prior HC pulled down there i wouldn't blame him if he was that way !

I think Watt probably let his feelings be known and some one got their feelings hurt because he wasn't politically correct while doing so . 

18 hours ago, cle23 said:

That's a terrible argument. In high school, I was 135lbs at 6' as a sophomore. By my senior year, I was 215lbs and pretty muscular. I didn't do a diet regimen, but I did start lifting some, not any extreme amount.

Also, Watt was a TE in high school and at CMU. He transferred to Wisconsin and moved to the DLine, which is asking for a different body type. 

I'm not saying steroid use is impossible in the NFL, but you can't make the statement that it's rampant and then literally have no evidence back it up other than to say it's well known.

You put on 80lbs in 2 years with no diet and not an extreme amount of lifting?  What total bull####.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. It does sound a tad bitter, like they're exaggerating a bit to make it sound worse but I think it's been known for a while that Watt goes off the script with defensive play calls at times. He definitely talks the talk as the ultimate team player, if it's all a facade then meh, again, not surprised.

I lost some respect for him when he decided on AZ. Dude talks about wanting to go to a contender and it's not them. And he is not the final piece that pushes them over the hump. They beat the Bills on a last second fluke play and ran around like they just won the Super Bowl and then proceeded to lose like 6 out of their next 7. They're a young, immature team and I don't think Kingsbury has installed the type of culture that contends for championships. And I like Murray fine, but if that kid doesn't shake his habit of bailing whenever his first read is covered he's gonna have a bad time. 

That said, I genuinely hope they go 2-14 this season. If that can't happen, I'd love to see Houston end up with more wins than them, hahahah, take that, Justin!

On 3/4/2021 at 2:11 PM, Kelsayrundefense said:

You put on 80lbs in 2 years with no diet and not an extreme amount of lifting?  What total bull####.

Except it's not. Later in life that is unreasonable but around that age it's pretty common. I was lifting 4 to 5 days a week but nothing extreme. And that's 3 years. 

On 3/2/2021 at 5:01 AM, colin said:

fact.  i remember, and i think it was in SI when they did actual reporting, a nameless test for a new EPO test they had (so they couldn't bust anyone, so no names) found the entire field was positive for EPO.  they hand waved about maybe the test being too strong, but it seems like it was correct.

IMO, like pro bodybuilding or olympic weightlifting (and i say NFL football as well) cycling just isn't a sport that humans (or at least not enough of them to have a big competition) can compete in without PEDs.  biking up and down mountains at break neck speeds for days and days is basically super human.

I'm a bit late to this party, but I have to agree. The best article on all of this is still this piece Stuart Stevens (an interesting character himself - political consultant, screenwriter, endurance sports enthusiast) did in Outside magazine way back in 2003). He found a doc willing to give him all sorts of PEDs, and yes, he got better, and fast. PED use and testing are playing a constant cat and mouse game; my suspicion is there's a helluva a lot of PED use going on in the NFL and NBA, and surprisingly less now in MLB (the prime offender when this was written, before they tested at all). Cycling? Definitely.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test?page=all

I remained skeptical about all the drugs until March 29, when I rode an event along the central coast of California, the Solvang Double Century, at what for me was a fast and hard pace, finishing in around 11.5 hours. About ten hours in, it dawned on me that something was definitely happening. Sure, I'd been training hard, but I'd done enough of that to know what to expect. All around me were riders—good, strong riders—who looked as worn out as you'd expect after ten hours in the saddle. I was tired, but I felt curiously strong, annoyingly talkative and fresh, eager to hammer the last 40 miles. The last time I'd ridden 200 miles, I felt awful the next day, like I'd been hit by a truck. After the Solvang race I woke up and felt hardly a touch of soreness. I also felt like I could easily ride another 200, and I realized that I'd entered another world, the realm of instant recovery. I'll be frank: It was a reassuring kind of world, and I could see why people might want to stay there.

When I checked in with the good doctor soon after the race, he wasn't surprised about what I'd experienced. "With your hematocrit levels higher, you don't produce as much lactic acid, which means you can ride harder, longer, with less stress. The growth hormone and testosterone help you recover faster, since you're stronger to start with and recover more quickly. All those little muscle tears repair much more quickly."

My take on Watt is that at this point the name is a little bigger than the game and I'd be cautious on signing him for a ton of money. He's on the wrong side of 30 and the last 2 seasons haven't had sack production.

I'd consider it more of a part time signing where if Watt was really good in the postseason I wouldn't care.

Arizona is a fringe contender and there's a wide range of outcomes there. It wouldn't surprise me if they won the West and it wouldn't surprise me if they finished in last either because the 4 teams aren't far apart at all.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, cle23 said:

1. Congratulations on your metamorphosis.
2. You are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing yourself at 12/13 and how you finished at 17/18. Those are absolute key years in physical development for a man, assuming what you are telling us is even accurate. 
3. in that picture Watt is already in college. Hes a man. Hes already reached his growth spurt, for the most part.  
4. looking at the pictures he tripled in size, all while maintaining speed, agility and minimal body fat. 

NFL training facilities and coaching staffs are elite. However, they are unable to turn water into wine. Watt is likely paying the price now later in his career bc his body is clearly breaking down. Yes, this is all conjecture by me.  Its an educated guess based on what we know about sports and how theyre littered with PEDs. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, bobobonators said:

1. Congratulations on your metamorphosis.
2. You are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing yourself at 12/13 and how you finished at 17/18. Those are absolute key years in physical development for a man, assuming what you are telling us is even accurate. 
3. in that picture Watt is already in college. Hes a man. Hes already reached his growth spurt, for the most part.  
4. looking at the pictures he tripled in size, all while maintaining speed, agility and minimal body fat. 

NFL training facilities and coaching staffs are elite. However, they are unable to turn water into wine. Watt is likely paying the price now later in his career bc his body is clearly breaking down. Yes, this is all conjecture by me.  Its an educated guess based on what we know about sports and how theyre littered with PEDs. 

You understand that Watt changed positions in college right? Went from a TE to a DE. Also, having offseasons where your entire job is basically to be in shape tends to lead to these guys being in insane shape. 

It's possible some of these guys are on something, but just because they're big didn't mean they are.  And it's a bold claim when your only evidence is the "eye test."

I have some perspective on the topic of PED’s.  For perspective, I started lifting in HS, like most guys.  The purpose for me at the time was to remain functionally strong and lean.  When entering college, a couple of friends convinced me to try conventional powerlifting (Squat, Bench, Deadlift). I entered in both tested and untested meets.  That went on until I blew out my knee at 32.  I competed once or twice at 165 lbs., but 90% of my meets were at the 181 3/4 lbs..

So in my early 30’s I was squatting below the knee 600lbs., 410 lbs. bench (that’s with a press call = pause), and a 620 deadlift.  I never once in my life took steroids, GH, or anything else except Creatine, and a bunch of other natural supplements.  None of them helped except creatine (I later learned it can tax you’re kidneys.  My thoughts are that in college if he was still developing, he could’ve gained a significant amt. of body weight, but as an adult, typically guys can gained maybe 15-20 lbs. on lifts each year.  That is a generous estimate as some guys plateau and struggle to keep getting stronger.   Guys, and. I knew a ton of them that took Roids or GH, have a tendency to blow out tendons and ligaments because they cannot strengthen at the same pace as muscles.

I honestly don’t know if he is taking enhancers, but it’s fairly simple to test for steroids, but GH is a little more challenging.  There are tricks people try to avoid a positive test.  I don’t believe steroids are rampant as they would be testing positive more frequently, but they may be able to take GH in the off season and find a way to evade the test.  I know back in my day which they don’t do anymore, the tested meets would do urine and lie detector.  They stopped the lie detector long after I retired from competing.  I was hair tested in the US championships, but they were only intermittently testing competitors as it was too expensive to test everyone.

Im sure it’s in the NFL, but just don’t know how common, nor do you guys.  You can get strong naturally, but just takes time, a ton of energy, a perfect nutritious diet, etc.  What I suspect is when I see a grown man gaining 25-30 lbs. in one off season, and all of it muscle.  One old example is Cornelius Bennet in one year going from 220 to 250 lbs.  He just looked like he was juicing with the puffy face and had the juice look.  A guy on this board who knows (not that he took them) a lot on the topic is BB (Buffalo Barbarian) as I think BB is still competing.

Anyway, has Watt taken drugs, maybe, maybe not.  It’s these guys personal decisions, and if caught should get suspended as it’s cheating.  I never had the urge.