Texans coaching staff on Watt - bitter or truthful?

21 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I originally wanted Watt, but the more I think about it, I’m glad we didn’t. It’s not because he didn’t choose us, it’s the whole attitude behind this event. 

I wasn’t so bothered that he wanted to get the most out of his free agency. He was basically the only one, it’s a rare situation to be in and he deserved it. 

My issue was the pay, I also wanted him but not for 15mil 23 guaranteed. You can get two real contributors for that. Not to mention there’s no guarantee he can get the production he used to get. 23 guaranteed for a guy with 9 sacks in two years? You’re basically paying for the name and past production. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I originally wanted Watt, but the more I think about it, I’m glad we didn’t. It’s not because he didn’t choose us, it’s the whole attitude behind this event. 

what attitude? He was fairly quiet the whole time. The media was building it up and writing about it everyday because there's nothing else going on

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, cle23 said:

You have any evidence of this at all? Claiming the NFL, who has a pretty strict testing policy, loves PED users? And also hinting that Watt uses PEDs?

Shirley, you can't think that a) Watt isn't on steroids and b) Watt is actually tested.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You don’t string fans along. If I was a FA, I’d be as transparent as possible. 

his agent was negotiating with other teams until he had an offer he liked and chose it. How was he stringing fans along?  How would you be transparent...would you tell the fans about every offer you receive?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How in the world did he string fans along?

I'm guessing with his vague tweets. I thought it was pretty fun, tbh. I definitely don't agree HE strung anyone along. Everything came from the media.

You can dislike Watt but it's a big stretch to say he's at fault just because he took his time to find the right fit (in his wallet) and made a few cryptic statements.

Edited by Boxcar

Just now, Boxcar said:

I'm guessing with his vague tweets. I thought it was pretty fun, tbh. I definitely don't agree HE strung anyone along. Everything came from the media.

You can dislike Watt but it's a big stretch to say he's at fault just because he took his time to find the right fit (in his wallet) and made a few cryptic statements.

The tweets were only vague to the people desperately trying to interpret them as a clue to where he was going to sign.  There is a strong possibility that those tweets had nothing to do with his free agency.

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The tweets were only vague to the people desperately trying to interpret them as a clue to where he was going to sign.  There is a strong possibility that those tweets had nothing to do with his free agency.

Come on now. "Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell" is just something normal athletes tweet? He was definitely trolling and getting a kick out of it. I don't begrudge him for it at all.

20 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Come on now. "Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell" is just something normal athletes tweet? He was definitely trolling and getting a kick out of it. I don't begrudge him for it at all.

How anyone pinned their hopes that he was signing with Buffalo on tweets like that and now feels jilted is beyond me.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I believe it. Why would you say you are interested in being on a SB team and then proceed to not choose a SB competitive team. He just wanted the money, and I could see those reviews as being true. 

Disagree that Arizona is not a competitive team.

SB?  Maybe not, but they aren't that bad! 

I totally believe the coaching scouting report, though.

What would his motivation be to lie?  JJ never liked the coach?

For these types of reasons (and money) I'm glad he didn't come here and it's why I never wanted him.

Highly paid big name prima donnas past their prime are not the stuff of championship teams.

To be honest, I am disappointed the Bills were as interested in him as they obviously were.

I thought Beane was smarter than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:54 PM, 716er said:

Bitter

See EJ's pick 6

Not that I agree with this take, but one could make the argument that the Cardinals are closer to being a SB team (Not winner, but team) because they are in the wide open NFC and do not have to go through KC.

The odds of them making the playoffs are much lower than ours though lol their division is brutal with a healthy SF

Last season inside of a dumpster fire I bet some of it is real.  Now, is that who he is?  I bet not.  A couple weeks of the season he probably did somethings he regrets but it got him out of the building.  Watson has been a model leader and is going to end up staying.

Edited by Mat68

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Last season inside of a dumpster fire I bet some of it is real.  Now, is that who he is?  I bet not.  A couple weeks of the season he probably did somethings he regrets but it got him out of the building.  Watson has been a model leader and is going to end up staying.

Ever since we got Diggs, I'm not taking any of these types of things at face value. Maybe JJ was annoyed about being the best player on a badly run team for so long and was frustrated. Kind of understandable.

Also, if I'm going to take ANYONE'S word on how Watt is inside a locker room, it sure wouldn't be from the salty incompetent defensive coaches. Watt only cared about his own stats? Assuming that's true, what the hell else did he have to play for with Houston? Also, what would Watt stat stuffing even look like? Sacking the QB multiple times? My god, can you imagine what a hindrance that could be?

I just realized these quotes came from the coaching staff. I dunno who else I could have thought they were from. I guess I expected maybe a smidgen of class and respect from a franchise trying desperately to get some of it back.

Edited by Boxcar
  • Agree 1

I will state that if he acted like a diva this season after what they have pulled the last two years as an organization I would not blame him, since they made it clear that excellence was not valued. But he seemed like he gave his all previously so both could be true.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:15 PM, Niagara Dude said:

I believe it,  why would he go to team that has no chance?

I would not say they have no chance.  They clearly were too QB dependent last year.

The Squawks may be losing chief squawker who wants more control and money

The Rams were inconsistent last year

The 49ers were lost their DC and their QB appeared to be a mirage.

It really comes down to what they do in replenishing in free agency and draft.  

Watt's wattage will make it more difficult retaining players and attracting new ones.