Texans coaching staff on Watt - bitter or truthful?

I Billieve it.

The guy is a prima donna and an egomaniac.

Lets see how many games he plays out of 34 total....I put the over under at 14 total for both years ;) 

Meaning that he gets paid 2.21m per game. 

7 hours ago, cle23 said:

You have any evidence of this at all? Claiming the NFL, who has a pretty strict testing policy, loves PED users? And also hinting that Watt uses PEDs?

Believe what you will, it no big deal, but steroids etc has been a constant in the league for decades. That my friend is s fact, like it or not. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Without wanting to derail the thread too much I was an avid pro cycling fan in the 90s and 00s and still enjoy the grand tours but am far less of a fan than I used to be. The cycling authorities have followed a pretty constant pattern when it comes to doping which is make an example of a guy then pretend the rest is okay. It was all okay after 1998 and Festina and there was nothing to see here despite the constant noise about Lance.... and then when it turned out it wasn't well that is just Lance, he is a bad egg, nothing else to see here.... move on. It is a cycle that sadly repeated over and over. 

I too followed pro cycling since The Hinault lemond Gitane team era, pro cycling like other sports does themselves no favors when it comes to the PED issue. 

16 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I believe it. Why would you say you are interested in being on a SB team and then proceed to not choose a SB competitive team. He just wanted the money, and I could see those reviews as being true. 

Perhaps because you disagree with some guy on the internet as to whether a team is Super Bowl competitive.

Bitter.

8 hours ago, cle23 said:

You have any evidence of this at all? Claiming the NFL, who has a pretty strict testing policy, loves PED users? And also hinting that Watt uses PEDs?

image.thumb.jpeg.3e55208aa22f2937df767ed1ba0a878b.jpeg

image.jpeg.33e0fb1a7324093c3bce0051451b2e04.jpeg

NFL training facilities and coaches are one thing - tripling in size in 10yrs has nothing to do with either. 

i dont care if players use PEDs, since im sure its more common than is let on by the NFL.

Edited by bobobonators
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I believe it. Why would you say you are interested in being on a SB team and then proceed to not choose a SB competitive team. He just wanted the money, and I could see those reviews as being true. 

It’s somewhat laughable that fans want to paint Arizona as some also ran mediocrity. They may not be in the inner circle of contenders, but they’re a good team on the rise and could very well be just a step behind the Bills in terms of franchise development.  It’s like watt is the hot girl that some guy pursued, and when she shoots him down, he calls her names and decides she’s a dog 

Edited by AlCowlingsTaxiService
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

NFL training facilities and coaches are one thing - tripling in size in 10yrs has nothing to do with either. 

That's just not a reasonable thing to say.

First, he didn't triple, that's a perfect example of a person convinced of something saying anything he can to make his point.

And yes, he's huge, but some guys get huge without using steroids. Some use steroids, and some don't. But that Chippewas photo is from high school. Do we even know which year in high school? An awful lot of people get an awful lot bigger after high school without using steroids.

Your saying you know he uses them from pictures is just as unreasonable as it would be for me to say I know he hasn't.

More, what does whether a guy used steroids have to do with whether he's selfish or hard to coach or egotistical? Nothing.

16 hours ago, 716er said:

Not that I agree with this take, but one could make the argument that the Cardinals are closer to being a SB team (Not winner, but team) because they are in the wide open NFC and do not have to go through KC.

15 hours ago, Beast said:

And one would be very wrong making that argument.

There is a major difference between being wrong and having a different opinion than the speaker.

What you have there is an opinion, not a fact. It's not an unreasonable opinion, not at all. But it is not a fact.

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Probably a combination of both. He was basically saying to the Texans that they weren't good enough for him (or he was better than them) so it's not surprising that they are bitter about it. 

The Texans suck.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm just happy we didn't sign him for that price.

His availability is awful.

His defenses were never elite. Didn't make guys better like an Aaron Donald or Von Miller 

This is not accurate. In 2012, the Texans were second in defensive DVOA. In 2014, they were 6th. In 2015, they were 7th. In 2018, they were 5th. These were all seasons in which he was an all-pro. Also, if you look at PFR's AV (approximate value) stat (akin to WAR), he was the top performer in the entire league in 2012, 2014, and 2015. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I believe it's possible Watt is like this and also that the Texans are exaggerating it because they are salty.

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

i dont care if players use PEDs, since im sure its more common than is let on by the NFL.

JJ Watt in College

4dba17e05f595.image.jpg

Gonna go ahead and say, like most kids, his body simply filled out.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It’s somewhat laughable that fans want to paint Arizona as some also ran mediocrity. They may not be in the inner circle of contenders, but they’re a good team on the rise and could very well be just a step behind the Bills in terms of franchise development.  It’s like watt is the hot girl that some guy pursued, and when she shoots him down, he calls her names and decides she’s a dog 

I believe Fairburn's article that indicates AZ was the highest bidder for Watt.  I understand why some fans may feel gypped that a guy said he wanted to pursue a championship, then went to the highest bidder.

But that's the way of the world.  As I said elsewhere, when people say it's not about the money, It's About the Money.  Watt walked away from $17.5M next season, he wanted more.  Now he's got it - $5.5M more guaranteed and the chance of $13.5M more.

Arizona is a good team which looks to be on the rise.  But they are not as flush on cap space as some other teams, and they appear to have a bunch of critical FA, as mentioned above.   They're calling their shot by pursuing hot FA (Jordan Phillips, now Watt).   It has to be said that seems to be a strategy that worked for Tampa Bay (along with a critical injury on KC's OL). 

Injuries are the thing.  Phillips only played 9 games for them last season giving them 2 sacks and 3 QB hits - pretty fair to think that's not the production they signed him for.  If Phillips and Watt play 16 games next season and show good production, the Cards may get good value for their money and win and be geniuses.  If they don't, it will be a bad decision.

• Like (+1) 1

This may not be true but one thing that is true with Watt, the cameras follow him everywhere, he's a media hog whether he likes it or not.

Remember the Houston playoff game, the network made the entire game about JJ as if the guy was still an elite player.   It was kind of nauseating, my only strike against Romo as an announcer, he and Nance were droning on and on nonstop about the guy.  

Personally, I can't stand that kind of hype for any player, making them seem bigger than the team, or the game.   If its a slow regular season game OK I guess, but that was an exciting overtime playoff game with a lot on the line for both teams and all we got to see and hear was JJ on the sidelines, JJ's reaction to every play, JJ's limited snaps blah blah. 

Ask any Browns fan about OBJ, they can't stand it either.

I was hoping we were going to land him but dreading reading about him and his injuries every day for the next two years.   Would rather have Bud Dupree or Von who can still dominate a game.